Reaver - Worth it or not? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got banned for submitting anti-Hamma quotes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the Reaver still worth four certification points?
Yes 45 73.77%
No 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-09-04, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

oh nos, your a funny guy1!!11

Denial is fun, can I play too?

A) It is common knowledge that the striker is by far the best AV
B) There are far more striker users than any other AV
C) The Striker WILL get nerfed in some fashon when the ballance changes go in

so keep it up, it is quite amusing

Last edited by Queensidecastle; 2003-09-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2003-09-04, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

Originally posted by Vowels
I notice most (but not all) of the pro-reaver comments are made by TR, hehe.

I've never been able to make the reaver work for me, even though I'm usually pretty good at most "strictly" flying games, but I've seen and felt it being deadly in the right hands.

Also, I've played a Sparrow in the past and its not quite as effective as everyone makes it out to be. It IS the best of the AA maxes, but I have a lot more success against air targets with the striker when I play TR.

Frankly, I think it should be worth 5 pts to a TR pilot and 4 to NC and 3 to Vanu, simply due to the balance of anti air capability.

It is a powerful weapon, but I've shot down too many stupid pilots with a tank round to believe any old newbie can fly it with skill, and I've taken way too many striker hits while flying it to believe that flying against terrans with it is profitable without great skill. Don't tell me strikers are less effective than sparrows or other AA either. I can fire 3 shots in the air and then target any vehicle or max and have it either dead or nearly, within 1 to 2 seconds after I target it. Most good TR striker-users know to do that, too.

Yeah, the Reaver can be hard to manage. I'm actually considering moving to land vehicles because I have such bad luck with the aerial ones. At least until I get a pc upgrade.
Old 2003-09-04, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
BDMJ
First Sergeant

If you want a fun air vehicle go with the liberator. It takes a fair amount of practice and restraint to not dodge wildly and to give your tail gunner and bomber the angles they need, but it's well worth it.
Old 2003-09-04, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

Heh, yeah, I've ridden in the liberator pleanty of times. It is a really fun vehicle.

I've also noticed a lot of liberator pilots don't know how to pilot them right. The last 2 times I was in one the pilot was flying too low to bomb and we got explodimated by Reavers.
Old 2003-09-04, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
nonentity
Private

Originally posted by BlackWorm
No, but apparently you are not up to my level of critical analysis, nor my level of debate. Once you understand basic first order logic, call me.

For now, keep thinking that since the sky is blue, then germany is in europe (and point someone to an atlas when they disagree with your "analysis").
Although I agree, I also think that 'everyone knows it' is a valid point (albeit not in the context uses).

Everyone 'knows' that the striker is the best weapon, so everybody has it. However, I've found (from personal experience) that different AV weapons are all equally useful, but in different situations.

The common 'knowledge' has (imo) as much effect on the number of players with a cert as the actual strength of the weapon.
Old 2003-09-04, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rightwing
First Sergeant

If you sit up on the ceiling like a Liberator, you can face downward and unload several rockets at your targets, from way up high, due to the long range.

You can unload an entire pod of rockets onto an enemy vehicle pad from the ceiling and get away with little to no damage.
Old 2003-09-04, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
BlackWorm
Private

Originally posted by nonentity
Everyone 'knows' that the striker is the best weapon, so everybody has it. However, I've found (from personal experience) that different AV weapons are all equally useful, but in different situations.
So what you're saying is, those who "know" it's the best AV weapon may be incorrect.

The common 'knowledge' has (imo) as much effect on the number of players with a cert as the actual strength of the weapon.
It's a definite factor. But we can't know precisely why more TR get the AV cert than other empires, we can only make guesses. You can go around using words like "obvious" to describe the situation, but that's not a valid, logical explanation.

For the last time, for people who are slow (not you, nonentity):

- It may well be that the Striker is the best AV weapon, but it is a matter of opinion and opinions on the subject vary

- The TR do use AV more than other Empires (though not nearly 2 to 1)

- About 25% of TR players have AV, or 35% of those BR10 or above. Of those players, not all will be carrying a Striker at all times.

And most importantly:

- The fact that more TR use AV than other empires does not imply that the Striker is the best AV weapon. It may suggest it, but it does not imply it. Learn the difference between the two words.

Again, one possible contributing factor is the use of vehicles by other empires. According to Thott, the VS use tanks twice as much as the TR -- this huge discrepancy in tank use between VS and TR (greater than the difference in AV use) could have caused a backlash in which TR are forced to get AV to counter all the Magriders.

Another possible explanation is the gap in Heavy Assault effectiveness -- the TR having the weakest HA weapon, as measured by time to kill. (The MCG weakness is also suggested by the lower numbers of TR certing HA.) The TR players may be attempting to compensate for their lack of infantry superiority by focussing on eliminating vehicles. Or, they may simply be choosing AV instead of HA because their HA weapon sucks, not because their AV weapon is particularly good.

When people like Queenie here ignore all of this, and flatly claim that Striker is the best AV, that's fine. It's an opinion. But when the same people actually claim to have a logical argument that proves that Striker is the best AV, I am the one laughing when I tear their silly "analysis" down.
Old 2003-09-04, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Its so funny that while playing Professor, you didnt even think about the mean BR in which most people start to use AV. Your flawed analisys assumes that all certs are held in equal reguard and that a BR3 is as likely to spend his points getting AV as he would Medium assault for example. This just isnt the case. The stats show AV increases its popularity as a cert as the BR increases

At BR10+ AV is the 11th most popular cert which means most people that are in the BR1 to 14 catagory are giving AV low priority. The statistics show that most people are waiting till "later" to incorporate AV into thier arsenal. 31% of all the TR players in Planetside are BR15 and AV rises to 7th place for its popularity as a cert and only increases from there while it does not do this for the other houses. This illustrates a couple of things. Measuring the higher BR provides more meaningfull data on AV since it isnt considered a critical cert at lower levels, Also it shows that AV follows a curve except for TR AV which defenatly does not.

Therefore, it is not just a matter of opinion as to wheather the Striker is the best AV. It is just a fact as the numbers clearly show. Now environmental factors that may contribute to the reason a statistically significant larger ammount of TR have the AV cert than the other houses is a seperate argument, but I godamn guarantee you it isnt because they want to loot Phoenixes.

I have my own theories as to why this is the case, the greatest of which is that it is the only AA that doesnt have a 5 minute timer on it and that is available at an AMS. Usefull? I think so, and so do 51% of TR at BR 20

Checkmate
Old 2003-09-04, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
BlackWorm
Private

I have to laugh. There are so many contradictions, factual errors and leaps in logic in your last post that I don't even know where to begin pulling it apart. But hey, since it's clear you won't admit to being wrong on any counts, consider yourself the "winner" if that helps you face the morning. I can't really explain things to you any slower than I have already -- maybe someone trained in Special Ed. could continue where I left off, but I just don't have the patience.
Old 2003-09-04, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

lolz
Old 2003-09-04, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Intruder
First Sergeant

Originally posted by Queensidecastle

I have my own theories as to why this is the case, the greatest of which is that it is the only AA that doesnt have a 5 minute timer on it and that is available at an AMS. Usefull? I think so, and so do 51% of TR at BR 20

Checkmate

Checkmate, I dont think so, you state "I have my own theorys" that is all they are, they are not indefinate proof, niether are they concreate facts, instead you are going of your gut feeling, your opinions, your beliefs. That is great to hear your ideas and opinions, but in no way can you ever claim "This is why". Maybe once you have interviewed each player, or at least a high percentage of the population.

A census would be your only redeeming facts, that would make the statement a hardcore fact, until then, make sure you label your rantings as "your opinion" and maybe add "This is what drew me to my own conclusion"

Now.... BACK TO TOPIC

Being a feavered pilot in game (my main character is Gal girl extrodinare) and my other character is part of the Phoenix Legion air force (with reaver/skeet/lib certs)

The reaver is well worth the 4 points, but I dont se it being the all round best flying vehicle. IMO it has a specific duty, as do each of the flying vehicles, our airforce commander made a mistake initially, asking everyone to grab reavers, as he did belive they are the best, only afterwards, did he realize that a complete airforce needs not one type of vehicle but all 3 air attack vehicles (or if you use the Gal like I do all 4 )

In reply to the best vehicle for soloing, IMO I used to use the reaver over any other, but these days I will grab my skeet before my reaver, why? I am seeing more and more air vehicles, and more anti air, and I am able to stay alive alot longer in my skeet.

To answer the original question. IMO Yes its worth 4 points.

Have a nice day

The second one he was in his skeeter
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion