Pop-A-Lock, Planetstyle - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: your mom was here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-02-03, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

.......then they get the message that their base on the other damn side of the continent has been hacked....

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-03, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by {BOHICA}Navaron
.......then they get the message that their base on the other damn side of the continent has been hacked....
As always, Navaron coming in the nick of time to ruin my moment.

(j/k)

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-03, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Ludio
First Sergeant

If they had a base on the other side then it wouldnt be locked...

I could imagine them getting the message that all their forces on the other side were wiped out and that they had to go do other stuff. That would probably suck.
Old 2003-02-03, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Holding for 15 minutes buys you 15 open, so the key is to just maintain a single base, but we all agree that you have to give the enemy other things to worry over. You don't have to hold the first base once the gate is open, but you better have another one hacked before you lose it or your window will close and the invading forces will be cut off.

My plan takes a while to set up, but it would be a fun go with a single platoon of advanced players.

3 squads: A, B, C.

Squad A consists entirely of pathfinders in stealth gear. They drop in pairs to 5 locations and quietly feel out the defenses at each. They are all on foot and evading, so this is the part of the plan that will actually take the most time.

The easiest grab will be our first target. One pathfinder will stay outside the base until the drop starts, the other will go inside and read the interior defenses.

When both pathfinders call the site clear for drop, B and C squads will board the next HART. The 4 remaining pathfinder teams are immediately tasked with capping towers througout the continent and displacing before the enemy responds. The first 4 towers should be hit simultaneously, and they need to be taken before the HART picks up our assault force. The idea is to rattle the entire continent except for the objective, which subsequently receives the drop troops.

B and C are my assault squads. They total out to:
8 AI MAXes
4 AV MAXes
2 AA MAXes
3 Hacker / Engineers
3 Repair / Medics

We will attempt to take the base in tact, securing the terminals that are in a defensable area with the control room. The AA MAXes and one AI MAX will secure the roof, one AI MAX and the all 6 regular infantry will hold the control room, and the 6 remaining AI MAXes will work in pairs to sweep the interior of the base. The 4 AV MAXes will work the exterior of the base, letting the most determined infantry through, but harrassing the vehicles and drawing as much attention away from the interior defense as possible without being destroyed.

My theory is that the base can fall after it's taken, but you must be able to fight a delaying action until that happens. I'm going with an aggressive turtle using a lot of mines and MAXes to hold hallways and choke points. I don't count on reinforcements, but people might naturally start dropping in if they see towers blinking in a locked house.
Old 2003-02-03, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Format
First Sergeant

I like your idea Airlift, a swift and affective way to catch the enemy off gaurd. With the enemy faction members consentrating on defending the towers, the rest of the squads will have a much greater chance of infultrating the base. Nice thinking.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

I just got an idea that might work.

If you have 3 Squads Alpha, Beta, and Gamma
Alpha
10 Reinforced Medic/Repair/Grunt

Beta
10 Reinforced Medic/Hacker/Grunt

Gamma
6 AI MAXes
2 AV MAXes
2 AA MAXes

Doesn't really matter that you may take heavy casualties attacking and holding a base because you can revive them. Just have all Reinforced carry lots of Medical Applicator ammo try to refill often with hackers or carry ammo in MAXes. It would be more of a brute force attack than anything strategic, but it might work.

[edit] hmmm, Ijust noticed that I'm a Soldier. Sweet, guess I've been here long enough to make a sig. hey Airlift, would you mind making me one? I can't think of anything.

Last edited by Duritz; 2003-02-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Flameseeker
Captain

Can I have one too? Or am I too lowly and unimportant? I was thinking the close-up NC skeeter with Flameseeker in flaming letters. I wish I had Photoshop....
Old 2003-02-03, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I suspect reviving is going to be a downtime activity, it will probably take a little while, and they said at the last dev chat that you woulc come back with lowered health and armor (but all the same equipment). I'm all for lots of medics around, but don't count on them bringing people back under fire. It would probably be better to keep fighting and then revive as soon as you get a minute.

No request for you flameseeker, because I did it a couple weeks ago.
Old 2003-02-04, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Flameseeker
Captain

Thanks! Sweet! Just crapped pants! Gotta go!
Old 2003-02-04, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Flameseeker
Captain

Back, so how would I put that in sig?
Old 2003-02-04, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

click on user cp, edit profile and go to signature

then type [.img]www.thepicsadresshere.com/imagename.jpg[./img] but whitout the .'s in it.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

It might be nice to have two platoons hart in to the continent.

One platoon + 1 squad from the second platoon goes in and hacks a base where you can get mosquitos. The rest of the second platoon will remain in hiding. The first platoon sits in the base and fortifies its position.

The extra squad hops in a bunch of mosquitos and runs recon for the rest of the second platoon. The second platoon's job will be to harrass enemy forces guerrilla style. Hit and fade, hit and fade. This should keep the enemy forces off ballance enough that the first platoon can defend for 15 minutes.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Not sure, but can MAX's drop in the pods? I dont think they can but i have a feeling i may be wrong.
Old 2003-02-04, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

MAX's fit in droppods

confirmed by Rogue13 in the post dev chat chat.
Old 2003-02-04, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It would be fun to try to grab up a terminal and crank out a squadron of mosquitos under the enemy's nose. On the other hand, if I got a second platoon for the break-in, I would probably just hit two bases instead of one. That would work as well as anything to diffuse the response.

Now, here's something to think about. If your pathfinders locate a completely undefended base, don't attack there. I would go to the next easiest grab (pick a distant one for best effect), but send the pathfinders that found it in for the uncontested hack. Then their task would be to hide raise the devil on anyone who comes in to recap.

That reduces your tower grabs, but it will send people to the stealth-haunted base first, and when they do arrive at the real target they are more likely to expect little or no resistance.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion