I desperatley need help!! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cyssor's full, go away
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-03, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Stalker_Zero
Private

the games that good huh?

Time will tell. And no I'm not that poor. but technically poor just the same. But other people certainly are very poor. What about them? Some poor kid who is not going to bother to research the game properly is going to save up his pennies for the game. Then his heart will explode when he finds out he has to pay per month. When he asks dad he will laugh then scream NO....no doubt crushing his son. So for those who can't pay we're uncaring blithering thumbless idiots who only play counterstrike huh? And we obviously have no interest in planetside so why bother talking about it....right?
Ok.
So you guys are running screaming tripping over yourselves...beating the crap out of each other to have the honor of being the first to fork over your gas money correct? Ok then. Suit yourselves. Time will tell. So money really pushes people to do a better job eh? LOL. Yeah it will be fascinating indeed to see whether the dev team can really give the players their moneys worth with frequent patches and such.
I will be watching this games progress. Watching VERY CLOSELY.

Last edited by Stalker_Zero; 2003-02-03 at 09:27 PM.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Format
First Sergeant

If they were seriously poor, then i doubt they would have the money to pay for the hardware needed to run PS. And as for getting your moneys worth from this game, well, we'll see. I myself think I will, maybe some people just have too high standards.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Who would have enough money to buy a computer and not be able to financially afford PlanetSide? Even if they had to give a little concession?

You are also underestimating how good this game will be. If it is more than 25% as good as I believe it will be, then they have my money. If it's 125% then I'd pay double. Plus, if you can get a job then it working 2 hours a month at minimun wage. 2 HOURS!!

[edit] grr, AGAIN!!!
Old 2003-02-03, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I'm not a fan of forking over money to play the game either, but I finally cracked and subscribed to DAoC awhile back. I can see where my $10 a month goes.. it goes to having a huge lag, cheat and exploit free server to play on. It also went to updates, patches, and new features getting released every other month or so. I was addicted to tribes 2, and let me tell you, comparing the level of support between DAoC and t2 was like night and day.

My t2 clan ended up hosting two public servers through recon gamer, we all had to chip in to pay the cost of the servers, and I ended up paying $15 a month just for that alone.

A friend of mine from my clan used the same arguement, that we should boycott pay2play games because that will give game makers the idea that they everybody will shell out for monthly subscriptions, so every game will adopt this model. I however raise the bogus flag. pay2play games and games like bf1942, quake, tribes, just aren't the same.. sierra makes t2, they release it, pretty much end of story, there isn't a real need to have a subscription, because the game never changes.. the players host everything themselves for the most part.

and yes i believe that money really does motivate people to do a better job.
Old 2003-02-03, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Stalker_Zero
Private

money does motivate but its not the best motivator

Money will never be a good motivator. The love of the game should be the best motivator for this dev team or any other. When grid-computing gets ready for prime time then the average player (or groups of enthusiasts willing to set this up) would have the power to host massive amounts of players without the hand of corporate america all over ya.
And believe it or not there are others out there who feels just the same.
So because I'm not a lamb happy to go off to the slaughter I'm some sort of freak huh? So if the Ant-Christ and hoards of nazi storm troopers invades america and you lose your freedoms I guess you could eventually get used to it too huh? He'll bring world peace (for a time) and everything will be hunky dory. World hunger will be eliminated and there will be no poor people or disease.
I guess it would be worth it right?
Perhaps the analogy was a bit extreme but I hope some of you get it. In the game world at least I guess its the beginning of the end.
I know you are saying so many great things about the game but in your heart (like Picard when the borg turned him into locutus) you really want to cry but can't.
So, I will cry for you.

Last edited by Stalker_Zero; 2003-02-03 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2003-02-03, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

What i'm saying is this.. I have some amount of trust in the developers for running the game decently. I liked tribes 2.. but the support blew, and game would UE constantly, and scripts could ruin gameplay. Also, take ultima online for example.. i bought that game because you could play on free shards run by fellow gamers w/o the monthly fee. Concept sounds great until you got in there.. the free shards i played on were tweaked so bad gameplay was crap and grievers were everywhere. So it wasn't even worth my time.

So yeah sure, fine, if someone would develop a game with the same scope of PS and give it gamers to host for free and it wouldn't completely be suck, then I'd be all down for that.. but it's a shame that has never happened and it's not happening anywhere now either.

And calm down for a second, i can completely see and understand your point, as idealistic as it is.
Old 2003-02-03, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Stalker_Zero
Private

CALM DOWN???

*blood pressure raises* I'll CALM DOWN!!! ................*takes aspirin*.................ok.........ok......I'm calm.
.................................................. ............for now.

Last edited by Stalker_Zero; 2003-02-03 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2003-02-03, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Thumbs up

^whoa. Speaking of those free shards in UO.. how did that come in to being? are there any other MMORPGs or anything that people have done that on?
Old 2003-02-03, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

And how would they afford it? Paying for a staff of game developers' wages for at least 1 year? With no income? And where's the security keeping people from stealing your stuff or greiving or cheating?

None of it exists because no one can pay for it with no money. think TINSTAAFL buddy, think TINSTAAFL.

(there is no such thing as a free lunch)
Old 2003-02-03, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Madprofessor9
Corporal

I'm personally not to fond pay to play either paying 50 bucks on a game then spending money a month just to be able to play it. If you don't you just wasted the initial 50 bucks. So I can see your point Stalker. And I think They should think about a donation system. but personally I would be glad to donate 10 to 30 dollars a month for this outstanding game. And even if other gaming companys out there go with a pay to play system as long as its a outstanding and one of these gaming companys thinks about making destructable level and model geometry. I would be happy to pay for thier games as well a month. I am by no means poor I could quite my job for 3 years and still be well off. But I realize some people aren't as fortunate as I am. So thats how I can see your point. And won't flame you or feed you crap for you stating your opinion on these forms. Takes a Strong person stand out in a crowd and say something. And I commend you for that. But I also can't see why you would deem someone a Idiot for those who will gladly pay for the. Lag/cheating/exploiting free enviorment. I think of it as people paying for the security of a good time in a massive multiplayer online world.
then on the side get quality updates as well.
but these are my opinions on this matter
but which ever what this may go
I will be happy to pay for a great time on the internet
with this title. I'm looking forward to a brand-new experience
the planetside has to offer
Old 2003-02-03, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Stalker_Zero
Private

Hey Duritz how long u been playing?

Duritz.

Can you please tell me then how game developers have been able to stay afloat for the last 25 years?? A few of those years have been online too. You people are acting like we've been paying per month to play for years!

And try not to act like a no cost for the player system is some sort of communist welfare program ok? Because thats the model we all use. Do some research on grid-computing for gaming then get back to me. The only way grid-computing for gaming doesn't catch on would be because the big corporate conglomerates (not the game companies because the conglomerates own their poor slave butts) would put a stop to it somehow.

Imagine if America's Army and some experts in grid-computing hook up. That would be cool.
Old 2003-02-03, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ouroboros
Contributor
Major

Um, im not sure if this has been stated or not but, THIS IS A FREAKING MMO, that means:

1.) It needs a boat load of bandwidth to support everyone playing

2.) They need a boat load of servers to support everyone playing

I don't know about you Stalker, but money doesnt grow on trees, someone has to pay for the bandwidth and technical support for the servers. If the companies that ran MMO games had to pay for these, they would go bankrupt in days. To keep a good MMO, it is a necessity to support them.

Not mentioning paying to help those people that actually help keep the game alive.

Oh, by all means, if you can afford that kind of bandwidth do it. Power to you.
Old 2003-02-03, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Stalker_Zero
Private

right great expensive ya.

Great money right.

As I stated before.......I can't wait when grid-computing for games comes more in the limelight. That would effectively end the whining from companies about the expenses of massive multiplayer games.
But in my opinion it would seem to me the big corporate conglomerates would put a stop to it somehow.
They wouldn't want grid-computing to mess up their pretty little revenue model.
Old 2003-02-03, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Ouroboros
Contributor
Major

Omg, why do you pay for TV? why do you pay for anything? to get the service it will provide. And believe it or not, MMO is a service.
Old 2003-02-03, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Stalker_Zero
Private

This isn't cable bud.

This isn't cable tv buddy. And you seem to be missing the point still. Grid-computing for games is coming real soon and companies won't have a reason to be over-chaging gamers for this. Just like setting up your own little server for a regular ip game with 32 of your friends you will be able to access independent servers using the grid-computing model. But I really hope it comes sooner than fps mmo games. Paying per month to play would be a deadly deadly precedent to make.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion