New Exp model--- BAD IDEA - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please do not feed the Arctic Sloths
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-20, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

It's not TOOO bad

I got to BR5 in about 2 hours.. not bad..

I will tell you though, I'll be forming up in 2 man squads alot for open field hunting, any more then that is a waste. Solo kills for XP rule.

The Base cap xp is nice and juicy didn't get below 1000 today while we tried to break the TR stranglehold on Solsar.

And I can tell you no one was turning people away from squad... just kicking out unproductive wastes... and I gotta admit I like that! (and that is not a good engi, or medic who are really doing their job)

PAX
Old 2003-05-20, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Scarab
Private

I'm not sure what my problem is then

Is it the larger squads that get screwed now then? I killed a MAX in our full squad and we got 28 exp each. The gunner of my prowler killed lots of enemies but we were getting 5, 6, 4 exp numbers.

I guess that must be it if it's divided by 10.

So basically a full squad will only make exp 20 percent faster than someone solo, same exp per kill as the solo person but split across 10 people, with a 20 percent bonus?
Old 2003-05-20, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

DO none of u pay attention at all? Half a year ago they said that the game was gonna take months to get to BR 20. I personaly love that idea. I do not want to be bored with the game at 2 months because the devs left the EXP system so damn high. The point of it is to keep you playing. Personaly I planed out my entire cert configs for all 4 players with a nice char maker. With what i want all four chars at BR 20 it will take me a year! Thats what I want! IDK about the spliting up of the exp. Id rather see a system where the acctual killer gets like 40 BEP and the squad mates get 10 - 20%. Also i think a support role char should gain BEP by healing ppl.

Personaly i find the influx of Offical Forums people alarming, alot of them flame and I find them imature in most responses (Not that I havnt done crap like that b4 but im just saying a month ago the quality of this forum was 10 times better, ok mabye not that great but it still took a nose dive a while ago)
Old 2003-05-20, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Scarab
Private

Exp isn't what keeps me playing. I had hoped for a game that was so much fun that getting max level was only the "beginning" of the game and not the end. If you feel like getting max level means you can no longer play that character, that's fine. But for me that was never my vision. I wanted to get enough certs under my belt to have some options then continue to enjoy that character and play with my friends and continue to kill, not caring about exp.

The levels really don't matter to me as long as they come at a decent rate. I don't care if they made me BR 20 right now, it would not stop me from continuing to play that particular character. I had more fun when everyone was BR 20 than any other time. That tells me that this game isn't about keeping you playing by making levels slow...it's about giving you cert options in order to enjoy the real game which is a massive war FPS.

Even the first levels do not come at a decent rate. If they allowed us to get to BR 12 as fast as beta and increased the exp needed from 12-20 by 4 times it would be better than it is right now.
Old 2003-05-20, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
instant
Private

The game became fun once I reached a few BR's.. and it became REAL fun when I hit BR16/CR3.. My end of beta score was BR17/CR4..

It took me lots of playtime to reach that rank..

It will take me many many months to reach that level now that the game has become "Everquest - the FPS"..

You get as almost as much XP camping a Spawn Tube as you will get in a Full Squad 100/10..

Hurray for Support Roles.. as if they were not apperciated enough already, now they wont even get picked because they wont get any XP for the Squad.

PS is going to become another Earth & Beyond.
Old 2003-05-20, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
FlakAttack
Private

I never went into Planetside thinking "Battle Ranks, oh yay!" I don't give a damn about my levels. I came for the large scale warfare. And the similarity to Tribes. Now, if we could just get some jetpacks....

I play it like the FPS it is, not an RPG. The social aspect is ok, but if you look at the way I play, you'll see I don't really need it. Human players are just more challenging, and unpredictable. I mean, it's a game, so I play it like one. If getting exp is this damn tedious, well I'm not buying the game. (I played a few weeks in beta) I've already played DAoC, Ultima Online, and some of the free RPGs, and I don't want to have to worry about this crap. I just want my large scale battles, with tanks and dropships, air support and the ever needed engineer. I want to see strategy and battle bring people to this game, not leveling up and things you could easily get in other games.

Remember, this is supposed to be revolutionary. I'm just seeing a large scale FPS/RPG. No "Holy Jebus, this game is a totally new idea!" Nah, it's just an FPS based on an RPG system.
Old 2003-05-20, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
TheEvilBlight
Private

The real dark truth is:

"Haha u suk if you cant get xp, I get BR20 in a matter of days"

That is why. If they think that it is possible to get BR20 /that/ fast, then they tweak it even LOWER to prevent anyone from levelling up.
Old 2003-05-20, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Scarab
Private

And if they think that those few punks that post that crap on boards represents the majority of their customer base, they're going to lose a lot of money by catering to them.
Old 2003-05-20, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sprocket
Corporal

Why does everything I hear about PS scream "Return of the T2 disaster!" Anyway, maybe thats pure speculation.

Anyway the thing I find funny is how everyone yells "BRs DONT MATTER!" when thats pure PS. While BR's have much less significance than in an RPG, they still are crucial to combat effectiveness. A squad of BR 1s vs. a squad of BR10's is a joke competition -- since being BR10 implies that you have some game knowlegde plus the certs to have a vehicle, heavy/special assault, MAXs, or reinforced armor. While all the BR 1's have access to these options, they each do not each have the ability to have multiple certs.

I found PS got IMMENSELY more enjoyable at BR10 during beta. When I was BR 10 I had good weapon options, one vehicle cert for getting to battle fast, and the know-how to stay alive. When they wiped chars I only got back to BR7, and was constantly frustrated by lack of personal transport, inability to switch roles on demand, and other hinderances to combat effectiveness and fun.

Personally I think it should be fairly easy to get to BR 10(say 1-3 days of decent playtime) but 10-20 should be hell (aka the "hell levels" that are supposedly implemented) and that CR's should remain at their current state (currently CR is near impossible to gain with the current exp system)
Old 2003-05-20, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sprocket
Corporal

Ugh these boards confuse me, I'm used to TW's layout. I quoted the wrong message. Anyway, my main question still is:

Scarab from T2?

Last edited by Sprocket; 2003-05-20 at 09:10 PM.
Old 2003-05-20, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
DarkDragon00
Sergeant Major

IM playing for the FPS, i love to kill peeps and thats that, having good friends to back me up makes it alot funner cuz then u can talk about how u whiped the floor with the Vanu!

RPG element is a way to balance the way weapons are distrubuted. I love it because the Cycler is the best and if u want to get a ride and u dont have one, get a squad or an outfit!

The only true thug left, i merc ni**as cuz they all seem like skirts, while i flirt, with danger ur at home, living comfortably, in the beggining couldnt afford a computer, but now im living like im a millionair, buyin' things, that u only have in ur dreams, maybe its cuz i made it out alive, im outy alright, and this is for u, the real PSU, i still love u, but what happened, u guys got a bunch of asses, in ur ranks, now ur forums are full of Sh*t

Old 2003-05-20, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Scarab
Private

Not the same Scarab.

Anyway tonight while capping and saving bases, I realized that I was getting 1k-3k exp per cap/save. That would take roughly 100 - 300 kills to equal for each 15 minute cap period. Therefore hanging out and killing to gain exp has been rendered worthless while base capping has become the only way to advance.

That also means that CR 5 will be far easier to achieve than BR 20.
Old 2003-05-20, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gwartham
Corporal

Dont get me wrong I love mindless killing just as much as the next guy, I just prefer less rock/paper/scissors in my games.

and PS is all about the rock/paper/scissors game right now.
Old 2003-05-20, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
AcidCat
Staff Sergeant

Personally I think the slower the exp gain, the better. It might make some finally realize that the game is simply much, much more fun if you DON'T WORRY ABOUT EXPERIENCE POINTS!

I'm tired of saying it over and over, but I went through a metamorphosis during beta, I had really burnt out on the game until I realized that to get the most enjoyment out of PS, you need to put BEP on the back burner. Play for the enjoyment of combat, play for the variety of combat roles - the pure fun of it. If BEP is too important to you, that's when you find yourself doing the same things over and over - simply trying to maximize your exp.

Stop being a slave to exp and you'll enjoy the game more, I believe that 100%.
Old 2003-05-21, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
vawlk
Corporal

Re: New Exp model--- BAD IDEA

Originally posted by Jarlo
Ok the exp model at release SUCKS BAD!!

I don't mind slow or low exp at all-- that is fine and dandy. However they changed the SHARING exp to SPLITTING exp in a squad. What this means is any support person who doesnt do some sort of killing basically sucks down exp in the group. Also this means the lone sniper or revear pilot or ANT driver is going to get FAT exp. STUPID IDEA!!!

Fine keep the exp low that is peachy-- but SHARE IT do NOT SPLIT IT arrrgh!!
ya cuz we all know that the person who is healing you, repairing your base, refilling the stations that you equip at, and toting your ass around doesn't deserve any XP.

So I guess all the supply line runners in Iraq shouldn't get paid.

What you said just proves that the system is ok and you had too much to drink.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion