Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Help your empire, kill a vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
camycamera
Major

Re: Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1?

in time, it will. first we need to polish this thing up a bit.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
most stupid post ever.

ps2 completely lacks quality content compared to ps1.

the mass of weapons that are almost the same and the masses of customisation and optics are no quality content. it´s the way the devs want us to pay for the game.
there were less weapons in ps1, but they were actually different weapons all with a special purpose and playstyle.

also the number of weapons says nothing about content. ps1 had an actual global gameplay. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had a ressource system that actually mattered and had a direct impact on battles. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had other playstyles available like infiltrators who could actually infiltrate a base and cause major havoc inside or engineers that could lay real minefields and fortifications, ps2 has nothing like that.

i could do this until the post is a massive wall of text, but i hope you get the picture. i really hope ps2 will catch up with ps1 on quality content, but i fear this will take years.

and i would have prefered to pay 15 bucks per month but have a clean game with consistant art style and a reasonable range of weapons instead of a free game that spawns lots of uggly custumisations and useless weapons just to pay the bills.

god damnit, you make PS1 just seem so cool. i can't wait when all of that stuff is in PS2
Old 2013-05-29, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
god damnit, you make PS1 just seem so cool. i can't wait when all of that stuff is in PS2
yes, can´t wait either. hope it happens soon.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-29, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
More guns is not new content. All new guns do is change the game play a little bit... It does not add new game play.
Pretty much.

They already unleashed all the guns that could change game playstyle (shotguns,smgs,etc).

Only thing they can add now is probably a portable grenade launcher like in Planetside 1.

Also to be fair Planetside 1 was a complete game that cost $50 with Subscription Fee.

Planetside 2, is free.

So yeah, I understand why it Launched with 3 continents but I expected more content updates.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Figment
Lieutenant General

Well, of course new continents are needed, but...

They had to gather a lot of experience creating them first. Otherwise you may have content, but it's not good content. Which is probably worse.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sunrock
Major

Old 2013-05-29, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

It difficult to compare. Planetside 2 has a lot more art assets and a lot more things going on for it than Planetside 1. Planetside 1 just had more copies of things spread out.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Well, of course new continents are needed, but...

They had to gather a lot of experience creating them first. Otherwise you may have content, but it's not good content. Which is probably worse.
Look at the differences in design decisions between Indar, Esmair, and Amerish at launch. You can tell they were constantly gaining experience and understanding of how the game was going to play while they were building Esamir and Amerish compared to Indar. Hossin should be better than all 3.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Pretty much.

They already unleashed all the guns that could change game playstyle (shotguns,smgs,etc).

Only thing they can add now is probably a portable grenade launcher like in Planetside 1.

Also to be fair Planetside 1 was a complete game that cost $50 with Subscription Fee.

Planetside 2, is free.

So yeah, I understand why it Launched with 3 continents but I expected more content updates.
For a free game I seem to be spending at a greater rate than I did for the old game.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Look at the differences in design decisions between Indar, Esmair, and Amerish at launch. You can tell they were constantly gaining experience and understanding of how the game was going to play while they were building Esamir and Amerish compared to Indar. Hossin should be better than all 3.
I know but look at those initial outpost designs for Indar. What were they thinking of?
Old 2013-05-29, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Koadster
Sergeant Major

most stupid post ever.

the mass of weapons that are almost the same and the masses of customisation and optics are no quality content. it´s the way the devs want us to pay for the game.
there were less weapons in ps1, but they were actually different weapons all with a special purpose and playstyle.

also the number of weapons says nothing about content. ps1 had an actual global gameplay. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had a ressource system that actually mattered and had a direct impact on battles. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had other playstyles available like infiltrators who could actually infiltrate a base and cause major havoc inside or engineers that could lay real minefields and fortifications, ps2 has nothing like that.

i could do this until the post is a massive wall of text, but i hope you get the picture. i really hope ps2 will catch up with ps1 on quality content, but i fear this will take years.

and i would have prefered to pay 15 bucks per month but have a clean game with consistant art style and a reasonable range of weapons instead of a free game that spawns lots of uggly custumisations and useless weapons just to pay the bills.
Since PS1 is free i tried it, the bullet based firearms like the Cycler/Punisher did not bring 'new types of gameplay' Theres a few pistols that are very generic, one with long range burst and a full auto one, a few basic launcher type weapons and the same maxes we have now.. Nothing new infact less gameplay variations, I found myself using the rather awkard cycler most of the time and being able to repair and heal at the same time is a bit over kill.. It was combat mechanics of a different time, times and gameplay have changed.

PS2 is getting a resource revamp in the roadmap which will change how things are atm plus without the dedicated certs there needs to be a different way to control the spawning of vehicles, if there was dedicated tank drivers through certs there wouldnt be a need for mech resources.. If you mean NTUs and such, yeah I think PS2 needs that especially with the lattice. Indar becomes a huge stalemate which is now getting extremely boring.

PS2 doesnt have that kind of infiltration because of different mechanics such as the rather dumb SCU shield down at 75% but everything is subject to change which is the beauty of a MMO, the infil class update may bring more infiltration stuff and considering the devs plan has always been BF3 on crack at release then convert to PS1 as shown by recent developments.

I doubt most PCs currently could handle Engineers making full base entrenchments, once tech gets better who knows! Lets hope the forge engine is as good as SOE claims.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR

Last edited by Koadster; 2013-05-29 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Aiden
Private

most stupid post ever.

Some of these are a little too rose-colored.

And yet 60% of players ran around as Rexoclones with Heavy Assault weapons and ES AV. For every individual weapon in PS1, there is an equivalent GROUP of weapons in PS2. Suppressor = NS rifles, ES MA = ES assault rifles, Sweeper = shotguns, ES pistols = ES pistols, Knife = Knife, ES AV = ES AV, Punisher = S carbines.

On top of that, there are PS2 weapon groups that have no PS1 equivalent, such as SMGs, revolvers, many of the lock-on launchers, and many, many vehicle weapons.

Yes, many PS2 weapons are super redundant, but even accounting for the redundancy, PS2 still has more gun playstyles than PS1.

If you mean an inter-continental lattice, this is coming, almost for sure.

This is a pretty generous description of the NTU "system"...

I agree with you completely here. PS2 doesn't have the support content that PS1 had. Laying minefields in base courtyards, laying automated turrets around towers--all good stuff, and I hope PS2 catches up. Considering the emphasis they put on "player-driven content" I think it's likely we'll get this kind of stuff eventually.

I also agree with you here, but I recognize that at $15/month this game would have died already. F2P lets them release the game early and stretch out their budget.

Last edited by Aiden; 2013-05-29 at 12:59 PM.
Old 2013-05-29, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
PredatorFour
Major

In answer to the Op's question.... No i don't think it will ever have as much content as it's predecessor.
Old 2013-05-29, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Crator
Major General

I think on the subject of continents, that we've just been waiting to get the capture systems right before they move forward with new ones. Once that is hashed out completely then they can move forward pretty quickly with the new continents. So it won't take as long as it currently has to develop them after that is done.
Old 2013-05-29, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't count music and VR as content. Music is neat the first time you boot up...after dozens of hours IDGAF anymore.
We've got far more content in terms of Weapons/MAX/Vehicles and all the fittings and certs you can do. If you're comparing launch states and 6mo.s in PS1 certainly doesn't win there.
Many bases are unique or at least modified in some way from the standard template. PS1's were all the same except for the terrain around them.

PS2 loses in continents...and water?
They do need more continents. I think it's a big thing.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion