Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: BIG BOOBS! ( . )( . )
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-29, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1?

"Content" just doesn't seem to focus correctly on what PS2 lacks compared to PS1 in its prime. I think PS2 will have much more content than PS1 in due course, but that's not the problem.

What PS2 lacks is depth of gameplay, the best MMOs facilitate players creating the content, but to successfully do that requires depth and sophistication of game design, and a willingness to give players the tools and freedom to succeed and fail in that game environment. PS2 is not designed that way, everything is simplified and relatively shallow, free of both consequences and real choices. Player's are encouraged to absorb content rather than create it, to do everything rather than specialize... the whole financial model is built on that. The more class and vehicle roles we do the more certs and station cash we're likely to spend.

It could change I suppose, and signs of the dev team shifting gears would be implementing things like continent locking and cross faction vehicle hacking without watering them down, and anything that rewards specialization at the expense of access to everything (like the cert cap did in PS1). All of these were integral PS1 features that don't neatly fit into current PS2 model.

The whole E-sports is another issue, no matter how much SOE claims it won't impact the main game it will. If only the mindset of both players and designers that become focused on that type of gameplay which by its nature is both simplified and shallow.

Last edited by Helwyr; 2013-05-29 at 06:28 PM.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

OP has placed his finger upon a salient point. PS1 came stock out of the box with a lot that this game lacks. And first and foremost is the much-vaunted strategic metagame that is conspicuous by its lack.

We need a fourth continent and we need cont lock and we need rotating warp gates so that we have something to fight *for.* Sancs and a command chat would be the icing on the cake. Like the AMS, like the lattice, like much else we've fought for over the past eight months in the face of a lot of LOL NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN we know that these will work, and work well.

Big battles that are thrilling of themselves but serve no real purpose and never accomplish anything will give rise to a sense of ennui. And we know that the new generation of gamers will, magpie-like, gradually get bored and fall away with each new competing FPS that catches their eye. Fiddle-farting around with base design -- much as I like the new emphasis on actual WALLS -- and unit organization is IMHO a waste of time at this point.

Bringing back Don Ferrone (for real this time) and getting one ambient travel and one battle track for each continent would be nice too. It's not just terrain and vegetation that differentiates one virtual battlespace from another, and makes them memorable places to spend time in.

And whatever we're going to do to alter gameplay -- the lattice, base design, etc. -- let's get them locked in and STABILIZED as soon as humanly possible. Jesus H. Christ! Adding new content is one thing, but to have the old in a constant beta-like state of flux is a bit disconcerting, even when you get your way. Why are they redesigning old bases on Esamir? Why not try out the new bases with walls and force shields on the new bloody continents...? I don't understand this. It would seem to be a misallocation of precious time. The clock is ticking.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-05-29 at 07:33 PM.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't feel PS2 lacks in a "Content" that word always gets thrown around. As someone mentioned, depth is more of an issue in this sort of game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-05-29, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
AThreatToYou
Major

The issue with PS2 is not this massive arbitrary "content" term. PS2 has enough of that to keep me entertained.

PS2's problem is mechanical content. Mechanical content is different levels of mechanics and their associated contents. I believe that we only have three levels of mechanical content in PS2: Continents/territory associated content, Infantry-associated content, and Vehicle-associated content. Did PS1 have any more? Am I being too broad? Probably.

PS2 needs more continents. Even if they are the size of a battle-island (1/3rd or even 1/4th current continent size) they will drastically assist the game because we NEEED intercontinental lattice, intercontinental domination, and a continent designated as an Empire's home that is either linked to an Empire sanctuary or has their empire's foothold.

We NEED content levels that work along the lines of hacking, resource and logistics, etc.
Maybe I have said before that while I have a huge problem with how PS2 works, but it's too late to fix it. Guys, I think it really is. We're going to have essentially the same game for its whole lifespan, because it's not going to live long enough to be "fixed".
Old 2013-05-29, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I concur that depth is much more important than the overall content, we really need lot more extensions to the current gameplay and lattice system.
Old 2013-05-29, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Hossin is the king pin for me. Every day it isn't out is a day I'm considering chargebacking my SC purchases.

Old 2013-05-29, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
GraniteRok
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Hossin is the king pin for me. Every day it isn't out is a day I'm considering chargebacking my SC purchases.
Good luck with that. People who threaten this make me laugh. Did you not receive the item you purchased? Did you not receive the SC you purchased? I'm probably going to say yes you did receive them. You have no case to substantiate this action as needed to chargeback as you say you might. Idle threats.

Last edited by GraniteRok; 2013-05-29 at 11:31 PM.
Old 2013-05-30, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Chewy
Major

I don't have much time in PS1 but from what I seen the level of detail is PS1 is far less than PS2.

Yes in PS1 bases felt living and had things that made for great immersion like beds, break rooms, work stations, and those likes but everything else was empty land with a tower or 2 between bases. Even towers had little detail to them. 1 continent in PS1 felt like had as much content as 3-4 bases in PS2 by way of what was in a map.

PS2 is lacking immersion, not content. Although Hossin is needed for the game to have a longer life, little immersion things are needed more in my opinion. Things like alarms going off when a base is under attack or being capped, rooms to sit down and rest, readable screens*, chairs for work stations, and basic tables. Make the worlds of PS2 look like they have been lived in for the 200 years people have been there. Not the "I haven't bothered to unpack yet after been moved in for a month" look.

*I run ultra and STILL have not been able to read one damned screen in game. I know they say something but just can make anything out! People run under Ultra for reasons you know. Let us be able to read them, PLEASE. SO much lore and hard work could be hidden on those screens, but none are able to see it. If it takes me cutting my render range down or tweak settings more then so be it! I HAVE to know what they say.
Old 2013-05-30, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Selerox
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I honestly think that new content is the last thing they need to work on right now. They should just keep polishing the content they already have.
Exactly. Fix -> Improve -> Add.
Old 2013-05-30, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Ps2 is already in the cash cow mode. SOE wants to suck as much money as possible out of it. Therefore further development is minimized. They just invest money to keep the shop running and to keep player's hopes up.
I dont think this game will ever see more than 5 conts before SOE burry it.

Last edited by Mox; 2013-05-30 at 02:45 AM.
Old 2013-05-30, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Shogun
Contributor
General

i think in this thread there is a lot of misunderstanding what people mean when they say "content"

in my eyes gamecontent is not the amount of eyecandy on the maps or graphics quality (that´s a thing ps2 has).
and not the amount of weaponmodels or decals or camos to choose from.

content is everything that lets you do different things in the game or gives you a reason to do things.

a nice indicator are the warstories. i have only read very few warstories about ps2, where people are so excited about their epic battle and what they had to achieve to turn the tide in a battle.
that´s because in ps2 you can´t do much more than go/drive/fly somewhere and shoot everybody you encounter.

when ps1 started the free 6 months, it took only a day before the first warstories of new ps1 players popped up on the ps1 discussion forums. because the new players loved how many useful things they could do, other than just ramboing it out.

one may call it depth, i also call it content.
everything that contributes to gameplay is content. not only the number of maps.
and that´s what ps2 has to come up with better sooner than later.

the roadmap shows that the devs slowly seem to admit, that ps2 is lacking those things and they are going to work on it, but i am afraid it will be a long time until ps2 reaches the level of ps1

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-30, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
PredatorFour
Major

I would class PS1 having more content as;

1. more continents
2. more vehicles
3. more cust-om-i-zashun with loadouts (playing 'tetris' still makes me lol)
4. more options to take down a base with ntu mechanic and back hacking
Old 2013-05-30, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I think you'll see content start getting pushed out a lot faster in the future. Its probably taking so long to get the ball rolling because they've had to so extensively change the content they have. Once they are done with the lattices and some more optimization, I think the new content will get going well enough. I would expect that because Hossin has been pushed back so much, that Searhus will be pretty quick to follow. There is probably a 50/50 chance of both coming out this year. Searhus would be a great holiday push.
Old 2013-05-30, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post
Good luck with that. People who threaten this make me laugh. Did you not receive the item you purchased? Did you not receive the SC you purchased? I'm probably going to say yes you did receive them. You have no case to substantiate this action as needed to chargeback as you say you might. Idle threats.
It isn't a threat. It's sharing a perspective. Your own opinion on it means nothing.

Old 2013-05-30, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
It isn't a threat. It's sharing a perspective. Your own opinion on it means nothing.
Then let me share this. There is such a thing as fraudulent and illegal chargebacks. Unless there's a very, very good reason* to perform a chargeback I would advice against it. In this case SOE would take actions against you, like ban your SOE account.
Don't abuse chargebacks, they are there as a consumer protection option.

*Something along the lines of falling for blatantly false advertisement, a game not working, having been promised a refund without getting it etc.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-30 at 06:58 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion