Planetside Idea Lab - Page 26 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: is marsman a new action hero?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2004-07-31, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #376
7ruth
Corporal

Hayoo is teh Greetist!
Old 2004-08-02, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #377
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by Hayoo
It's getting there.

And yes the full map is huge. I cropped the full image, originally at 2500x2700 and 17MB, down to 800x600 to show just two bases. I then reduced that image down to this one at 640x480 to keep the size more manageable.

Note = the No Baggage sign means No Supply at that location (i.e. only provides up to Agile Armor, Medium Assault gear, and Support equipment). The % signs on the towers represent the NTU levels that govern supply when 'cut off' from friendly territory.

Old 2004-08-08, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #378
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Graphics descriptions found here: http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/....id=7221#M7221

Old 2004-08-08, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #379
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i'm cunfuzzled by this starchart bussiness

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-08-08, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #380
EarlyDawn
Major General

Isn't it logical that one of the planets in Amerish's system would be Amerish?
Old 2004-08-08, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #381
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

oops. forgot to put names of the sea port/star ports. oh well, I fix that when I get back Monday.

Old 2004-08-26, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #382
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Revised Global/Stellar map:

Figure 1: Added continent information to planets (hotspots, pop locks, etc), new planet targeting, etc.

Figure 2: Changed arrangement to Obiwaan's proposed layout, grid changed to radial pattern, permanent link lines, etc.

Old 2004-08-26, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #383
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hayoo
omfg.

you=god
Old 2004-08-26, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #384
Thunder_Hawk
Corporal

Are you aware that you made the battle islands the center of the universe in fig2?

I think the radial grid looks better. also, should there be something that signifies squad/platoon wps, on the interstellar view? and for the caverns that are locked, but their time instead of 100+ base if you can't get in, i doubt there be anyone in there.

but i have a question on the interstellar map. would the number of hotspots on the continate reflect the number of hotspot markers on the interstellar map?

other thats the afore mentioned, i would prefur the fig2. the conention lines arn't in the way.

btw, you are a god
Old 2004-08-26, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #385
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Glad you guys are liking the maps

Originally Posted by Thunder_Hawk
Are you aware that you made the battle islands the center of the universe in fig2?
lol. I was just following Obiwaan's layout.

I think the radial grid looks better. also, should there be something that signifies squad/platoon wps, on the interstellar view?
Hmm, I dunno, perhaps. I wouldn't want it to get too crowded. I'll fiddle with it and see.

and for the caverns that are locked, but their time instead of 100+ base if you can't get in, i doubt there be anyone in there.
Oh, I was too lazy to check that. I'll get around to it eventually.

would the number of hotspots on the continate reflect the number of hotspot markers on the interstellar map?
No, just a reflection of action on the planet. Max of 2 or 3 hotspots would be pulsing around the world depending on the amount of battles going on.

Old 2004-08-27, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #386
Hamma
PSU Admin

Hotness

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-08-27, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #387
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Just an FYI, some of the improvements included on these maps are inspired/suggested from Gondorian's Slight Change in Map thread and Hedron's Is it just me or has the new lattice/map drained the urgency from the global game? thread

Ok, here is the revised map.
  • Colored in grid areas per ZeusPrime's suggestion.
  • Added in number of bases owned per BzA's suggestion .
  • To keep this from cluttering the map more, I only show bases owned if that empire has a base on the continent (with the exception of the caverns). In this case the perspective is from NC.
  • Added percentage of your empire's troops to each cont window
    again, perspective is from the Empire of the player viewing the map.
  • Changed the planet selections back to boxes except for the primary planet, which has a circular reticle to set it apart.
  • For the second map posted here I removed the Domination logo from each planet to see if it's necessary or not.

I'm still fiddling with fredthedeadhead's suggestion to show friendly/enemy links for each cont window

Figure 1: with domination logos

Figure 2: without domination logos

Old 2004-08-27, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #388
Thunder_Hawk
Corporal

i feel that there is a redundancy with who is controling the planet. there is the logo above the planet, the color glow of the planet, and the area it ocupies in the radial grid. i think the most effective one is the empire logo but the color glow is nice. the color on the grid seems to break up the starfield background and i personally dislike it.

the way i see people should use the map is to look at the interstellar view for the hole picture. for more detailed information, they need to look at the planetary view along the side. for the map to be succesful, listing out the data into the detailed look and the overview look is essental. you must also know that 2 types of people will be using the map for different purposes. I as a common grunt use the map to find where people are fighting. Using the maps to have designed, i would use the interstellar map mostly, then looking at the planet views to get a better understand of where i need to go. commanders need to know the bigger picture and the more information on the interstellar map, the better for them. i would suggest having toggles like the current map has now. I don't need to know how many bases we have on a planet but a CR5 does. that information for me would just be clutter so i hope i would be able to toggle it on/off.

I also feel that it is redunant listing how map bases your empire ontrols in the interstellar view. people can quickly glance to the side and see how many bases your empire controls.

yet another question i have, on the planetary view, will the warpgrate's color reflect the empire controling the other side? ie: the wg is red if tr has a lock on the other side
Old 2004-08-27, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #389
Indecisive
Major General

I say make the the boarder islands eleventy seven times bigger. Or at least 2. Maybe 3.

Shrink the stellar thing and grow the continents so you can see it better "at a glance"
Old 2004-08-27, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #390
7ruth
Corporal

Ive been wondering why the CORE caverns aren't in the middle, I mean it would make sense wouldn't it?

I also think they should look like some sort of power cores, since the crystaline structures absorbe energy. They should be encased in a structure similar to a Geowarp. Heres a crude picture of what I'm thinking:

-=</\>=-
::-=0=-::
-=<\/>=-
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion