Using tanks as artillery? 0.o - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Click here for an encore!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-04, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Using tanks as artillery? 0.o

Yeah well there's this topic going on at the official forums about using tanks as artillery. I doubt the tanks fire in arcs though, so it might not be possible. But it could be a problem. They cuold use stealth as spotters. If they're standing still, then they're almost invsible... So it would be hard as hell to take out the spotter.

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2003-01-04, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

how is this a problem?

i think it would be great
Old 2003-01-04, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
�io
Lieutenant General

Well i kinda hope tanks fire in arcs.

1- Makes aiming harder, more challenging.

2-Also it would allow other empires to use the same advantage the TR MAX(AV mode) will have.
Old 2003-01-04, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

The main Vanu gun shouldn't fire in arcs, it's energy... so it should fire straight...

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2003-01-04, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Might fire a ball/sphere of energy Sandtaco and not a beam.. *shrug* damnit i want info on the VS heavy tank
Old 2003-01-04, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I brought this up a long while back, and I got shut down pretty well. I guess popular sentiment is that they do not fire in arcs. I think they should, which would help keep tanks from camping on hills way far from bases. The spotter idea is great because not only is it a highly lucrative tactic, but it requires MAJOR teamwork. I like it.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-04, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

They don't fire in arcs. Or, at least, they didn't a little while ago. That may have changed.
Old 2003-01-04, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Artillery is an incredibly crappy idea...

Old 2003-01-04, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Camping Carl
Major

I believe the only tank that fires in arcs is the magrider. It's lower gun can only move up and down, so it makes sense that it lobs some sort of energy grenades or something.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2003-01-04, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

and why would arty be an incredibly crappy idea? if it works, then it's not crappy
Old 2003-01-04, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Camping Carl
Major

Artillery would be good if you had a single, deployable artillery vehical designed for that only.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2003-01-04, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Artillery is crappy because you will have carpet bombing, which takes away from the game.

Old 2003-01-04, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Camping Carl
Major

Carpet bombing of what, bases? They can't be destroyed.

And besides reavers = dead artillery.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2003-01-04, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dragoon412
Corporal

Scenario 1:

Attacking team uses tanks and a spotter to saturate a target base with fire. Everyone standing outside dies, but respawns inside - now they know they're being attacked. They charge out of the base, towards the tanks. Battle starts a ways away from the base.

Scenario 2:

Attacking team uses tanks and a spotter to saturate a target base with fire. Everyone standing outside dies, but respawns inside - now they know they're being attacked. They run back outside, milling about, and the next barrage of artillery wipes them out like the smacktards they are.

Scenario 3:

Attacking team uses tanks and a spotter to saturate a target base with fire. Everyone standing outside dies, but respawns inside - now they know they're being attacked. The defenders pull back inside the base, and get ready for combat inside, and since its their base, they have the advantage of being able to re-equip to facilitate indoor combat. Meanwhile, the tanks sit there, picking their noses for a few minutes, then realize there's no one left to kill outside, and charge the base, where their vehicles are largely useless.

Scenario 4:

A group of tanks try to play artillery while infantry and other ground troops from both sides are engaged -- inflict heavy losses on the enemy, who respawns and comes right back, and heavy losses on their own team, who respawn a helluva lot farther away, and aren't too happy with the tanks, whose crew now has lotsa grief points.

I don't think those scenarios would necessarily ruin gameplay... I think artillery would be good, in certain situations, such as suppressing an enemy force, but with buildings being non-destructable, artillery isn't going to be a huge factor, one way or another. Either charge and kill the tanks or hide from 'em... personally, though, I think allowing an attacking team to use artillery against an enemy base could really help contribute to some vicious indoor fighting, which I'd love to see.
Old 2003-01-04, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Camping Carl
Major

Yeah, artillery probably wouldn't ruin gameplay. Also they have interesting possiblities for base defense. Such as taking out an enemy AMS (if it's close enough) or hitting attackers from safely behind the base walls.

Vanu still suck....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion