OMFG... I don't think there's a jump! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-05, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

OMFG... I don't think there's a jump!

I don't know about you guys, but this seriously pisses me off. Every first person shooter I have ever played; being able to able played a HUGE part in it (Q123, T1, T2, UT, UT2k3, BF1942, etc.). It really disappoints me that you can't jump. It would've added SOO much to the skill level of the players. Well, not really added to the skill level, but mainly to the learning curve, which I personally like being very steep.

I could possibly be wrong on this, but I just got done watching all the PS FPS movies and I didn't see anything CLOSE to a jump.

/me is very disappointed.
Old 2003-02-05, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Btw, this may be OFN to some of you, but I've been waiting a long time for this game, and I just ASSUMED since it was a FPS, that being able to jump is a given.

Anyways, hopefully, in those movies, they just didn't show jumping... but I doubt that's the case.
Old 2003-02-05, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
BCR
Private

From what I gather, the aim of this game is sqaud based combat. I don't know about you, but when I see real army men training for combat, they don't normally jump around like a rabbit on steroids, do they?

For all we know, there may be a jump, but it will probably be for the grand purpose of easily getting to an elevation slightly higher then your own.

What I'm curious to know, is there secondary fire? If not, what replaces it as the right click?
Old 2003-02-05, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by BCR
What I'm curious to know, is there secondary fire? If not, what replaces it as the right click?
Yes, exactly! That's a fucking good question... I'm hooked to jumpin with my right-click damnit. ;p
Old 2003-02-05, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ludio
First Sergeant

There is a jump, Hamma says so here. It does take some stamina to do it though.
Old 2003-02-05, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Maus
Private

aye you can jump ,ive seen it in the 90mb Dev interview, at the jump height looks decent for this type of FPS, possibly a little higher than Half Life jumps.
Old 2003-02-05, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by Ludio
There is a jump, Hamma says so here. It does take some stamina to do it though.
Rofl figures... In the thread I had awhile ago about it. I cant believe I didn't remember him saying that.. ohh well.

Anyways, how much energy is it going to take? I'll be ticked if it significantly hurts my energy everytime I jump.

And btw(this question is directed towards the pro Quakers), will the jumping enhance speed at all? Or allow for certain timing for improved movement? Or allow for "snapin" of the jumps for more distance?
Old 2003-02-05, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It'll take away enough stamina to prevent people from hopping around in combat, given that implants take stamina to operate, and you're going to want to keep your implants running as long as possible.
Old 2003-02-05, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

Man I am not sure what you are smoking lol, there most certainly is jump. Requires stamina so you cant hop across a continent.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-05, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

Re: OMFG... I don't think there's a jump!

Originally posted by Validuz
I don't know about you guys, but this seriously pisses me off. Every first person shooter I have ever played; being able to able played a HUGE part in it (Q123, T1, T2, UT, UT2k3, BF1942, etc.). It really disappoints me that you can't jump. It would've added SOO much to the skill level of the players. Well, not really added to the skill level, but mainly to the learning curve, which I personally like being very steep.

I could possibly be wrong on this, but I just got done watching all the PS FPS movies and I didn't see anything CLOSE to a jump.

/me is very disappointed.
I hate jumping like a rabbit in a FPS so much, makes the game 100% unreal. Glade PS has fixed this.

Toimu:
IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs

PS Storyline
Old 2003-02-05, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Alucard
Corporal

Boah

Boah!

Because Camping is for Boy Scouts
Old 2003-02-05, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
TheWumpus
Private

Originally posted by Validuz

And btw(this question is directed towards the pro Quakers), will the jumping enhance speed at all? Or allow for certain timing for improved movement? Or allow for "snapin" of the jumps for more distance?
Why would jumping allow you to "enhance" your speed at all? This would be totally unrealistic and unnecessary. You must be thinking of the "bunny-hopping" exploit of Half-Life. I can see no reason a coder would purposefully make jumping let you move faster. Skiing a'la Tribes Jetpacks isn't possible here.

"Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun."
-anonymous
Old 2003-02-05, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ranked1
Private

Nothing ruins a FPS more than freaking bunny hoppers. I really hope it sucks Stam as fast as it does in DoD.

Skills? It's fekking crap to think hopping around like a flea adds anything to a game.

What is it needed for if there are few collision items? Any comment Hamma? Does it serve a tactical purpose?

Argh...death to bunny hoppers.
Old 2003-02-05, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kyonye
Contributor
General

thank god you can jump. i know it will be realistic but as long as you can jump (considering its a part of life) even a little bit, i'll be happy atleast. jumping makes a big difference.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-05, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
grunkfest
Private

But can you take a piss?

Sure, it won't accomplish anything in game (much like jumping) but it -is- a part of life, and thus very important.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion