OMFG... I don't think there's a jump! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bitches love me cuz they know that I can rock.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-06, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Strife
Private

In short: Half-Life is crap.
Err.... WHAT!?!?!

You have to get shot down for this, right here and right now.

Half-Life has won almost every award from every gaming magazine in the WORLD. Readers of PC-Gamer in the UK rated Half-Life as number one in the Readers Top 100 last year. Try and think how long Half-Life has been out and you'd realise that this is an enormous achievement by any game.
Half-Life, Counter-Strike and all its mods inclusive, is singularly the most popular game online ever. More people are on Half-Life servers than any other game currently.
If you're gonna say Half-Life is crap without the time to even justify your opinion to us, I say...

...In short: You are an idiot.

-RageMaster
(on Strife's account)
Old 2003-02-06, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

^i dunno.. nsync has a lot of fans too.

i'm not saying what is good and what isn't good, but just because it's popular doesn't make it good
Old 2003-02-06, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Yogi
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Validuz
If you didnt jump right before you jetted, than you didnt make it anwhere... indoors and outdoors. Everyone who knows how to play T2, knows that.
Yes, this is true. It's so instinctive for me to do that (been doing it for nearly 4 years).

I'm saying just jumping (without jetting) is not a skill in Tribes 2.

Don't confuse jumping with skiing either

[ Inquisition - Team Captain | Tribalwar PHP Guru | F*ck Duke ]
Old 2003-02-06, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Kyonye
Contributor
General

hell yeah it is. game of the year. rating was 11 out of 10 from pc accelerator. its just morethan a classic FPS. It's a legend in the industry.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-06, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Hamma
PSU Admin

Everyone has their own opinion of Half Life, personally I think its crap

The fact remains tho, that it is probably the most popular FPS evar, and is still played by thousands upon thousands of people 24/7

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-06, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by Strife
Err.... WHAT!?!?!

You have to get shot down for this, right here and right now.

Half-Life has won almost every award from every gaming magazine in the WORLD. Readers of PC-Gamer in the UK rated Half-Life as number one in the Readers Top 100 last year. Try and think how long Half-Life has been out and you'd realise that this is an enormous achievement by any game.
Half-Life, Counter-Strike and all its mods inclusive, is singularly the most popular game online ever. More people are on Half-Life servers than any other game currently.
If you're gonna say Half-Life is crap without the time to even justify your opinion to us, I say...

...In short: You are an idiot.

-RageMaster
(on Strife's account)
Well, I would respond with a couple slams... but instead I'll voice my opinions about Half-Lyfe and those type of games:

The reason games like Half-Lyfe suck, is because theres NOTHING to them. There's no real avoiding of firing except hiding around corners, and what's the point of that?!?! What skill is in getting the first second of fire on the opposing enemy. I have played it, with supposed "pros", and it only took me acouple hours of playing to fucking own at it. Basically, play cheap and carry an assault rifle, strafe around for the SPLIT second you're in a battle, and aim. Super-fucking simple... BASIC gameplay.

Only 10-16 year olds play them. <-- That in itself ruins the games.

Cheats run rampant (I know this because my best friend's younger brother uses em and I've seen him use them). Such a SHITTY engine that cheats can run around like headless chickens.

Another thing, every Quake game > Half-Lyfe
Old 2003-02-06, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Derv
Staff Sergeant

Yea... I don't know what you people are talking about but CS is a godly FPS, or was, actually seeing how it's so old now. However this was not my point when I first mentioned HalfLife. When I first mentioned it I was talking strictly about the jumping in it... I think that the jumping in it is good. I think that you are very ignorant if you think that a game is bad just because there are hackers in it also. Hackers do make the gaming experience unpleasant however there are servers in CS that are hacl/cheat free where every player looks for cheaters and if one is found he is permanently banned. I hope you don't dislike this game just because you can't bounce all over the walls, too because then I just have one thing to say to you: I hope you get arthritis in your "jumping" finger =).

And btw Validuz, I don't know who you think these n00b pros are but maybe you should play with people that participate in CAL leagues and pwn them. These are the real experts. Also you don't find these 10-16 year olds in servers that have good people in them because they get angry and leave the servers with their n00b @$$es when their B0XX0RZ get R0XX0RED!
Old 2003-02-06, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by Derv

@$$es when their B0XX0RZ get R0XX0RED!
...nuff said in my last post =)
Old 2003-02-06, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
TGF NightHawk
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Validuz
"Ghost Recon,SOAF,(Clancy Games)"

Those are a JOKE. It's insulting to have those crap games in the same genre as Quake.
Just can't resist...forgive me Hamma! Are you really serious?
If so, who the hell are you to critique everyone's opinions? Ass wipe! Ghost Recon is a crap game....okay, is that why it recieved game of the year and had two expansions! You either one, never played it,or two, played and sucked ass so bad...you started whining & vowed never to play another Clancy game again! Just because you don't like a certain type of game, must mean it is shitty, right?
Furthermore, When I say"realistic" I mean performing "physically possible" movements or actions. Don't judge others,lest ye be judged....fuckhead!
Bottom line: You are the joke

Last edited by TGF NightHawk; 2003-02-06 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2003-02-07, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I can understand why you feel that halflife sucks if you didn't sit down and play it when it was released. If you just started to play it or be aware of now..... *shrug* Half-life is the most successfull FPS ever to have been released, hell it still gets patches today, still sells copies and a crapload of mods have been made for it.

Depends on how "old" you are in PC gaming i'd guess.... theres games whit much better graphics out now and arguably better gameply but beating that halflife feeling is hard, esp for us who played it when it was released.
Old 2003-02-07, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by Zatrais
I can understand why you feel that halflife sucks if you didn't sit down and play it when it was released. If you just started to play it or be aware of now..... *shrug* Half-life is the most successfull FPS ever to have been released, hell it still gets patches today, still sells copies and a crapload of mods have been made for it.

Depends on how "old" you are in PC gaming i'd guess.... theres games whit much better graphics out now and arguably better gameply but beating that halflife feeling is hard, esp for us who played it when it was released.
You're right on one thing, when games like Half-Life came out, they should've made a whole new genre for them. They should've been dubbed "RFPS" (Retarded(as in slow) First Person Shooter). I don't care how many copies that crap game was sold, the original FPSs set the standard IMO.

One last thing NightHawk (the guy with the HL tags in his name)..
Just because my opinion is different from yours and more blatent, doesnt make me wrong or make me look like Im "critisizing" yours.

And about this:
"Furthermore, When I say"realistic" I mean performing "physically possible" movements or actions. Don't judge others,lest ye be judged....fuckhead!"

Please tell me when and where you plan on releasing the top-secret data on "respawning" for humans. Or how about "health patches" for humans... yea... tell me when you plan on releasing "how to heal yourself with a special gun"

*coughhyopcritecough*
Old 2003-02-07, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Anyways, I hope the Devs of PS are smart(Im pretty sure they are) enough to realize how jumping will affect the game and make sure its skill-based, unlike HL, and the Clancy games.

/me is done in this thread... too much bickering
Old 2003-02-07, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

So wolfeinstein 3d set the standard?

Thats THE original FPS you know... heh

Sorry but the engines are the ones that set the standards for how FPS games evolve and play...

Most FPS's are just games thats wrapped around ID's engines.

BTW Validus, have you even played HALFLIFE or just played Counterstrike, a game that uses Halflifes engine? Sounds like you've only played CS and other modifications of Halflife. CS does not equal Halflife. There is no assault rifle in Halflife.
Old 2003-02-07, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

I didn't say "the original fps", I said "the orginal FPSs". Games like QuakeW set the standard.

Btw, I re-viewed the PS Dev interview and I got to see some jumping. I'm very happy it is like it is. I just hope that it's not near impossible to do in constant action because of energy drain.
Old 2003-02-07, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Sorry my mistake, must have misread.

Jumping in constant action, thats gonna be a tricky thing to balance whit the stamina loss of being shot (don't know if thats changed but you can se a stamina loss when the person gets shot in the gamespot vids), jumping and the stamina your implants use...

*shrug*

personally i don't care so much about the jumping as i plan on playing a MAX hehe
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion