Systems: Outfit Warships - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if Hamma still bothers to check these...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-11-02, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Outfit Warships

You could have base facilities be equipped with anti warship guns that automatically start shooting if a warship gets in range.

Make the guns unable to destroy the warship, but be able to quickly disable it.

Once disabled, the warship can't use any of it's normal functions except being able to slowly limp away out of danger and slowly repair itself.

That way you could have warships be able to drop vehicles and troops onto the battlefield (on much longer timers than pulling vehicles from ground facilities), while preventing people from dropping an entire army into the middle of an enemy base.

Maybe long ranged anti warship weapons would prevent you from staying inside any kind of enemy controlled territory for too long, but just long enough that you could do a tactical insertion behind the front lines.
Old 2011-11-03, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

......hmmmmm.....good points. I blindly ignored the "balance" issue that pretty much is the universal element to PS.

I LOVE the Outfit Warship idea. I like the idea of giving defenders the ability to deter or repel Warships to some degree.

I think OS should not be available without your Outfit Warship to deliver it. OS is a great perk to those who EARN it, but it's not much of a balanced ability. If OS were limited to the presence of your Outfit Warship over head (and uncloaked) it would make it a little more difficult to launch a surprise OS. However, if it was an unusually large and hardfought base fight - then the courtyard could be prime OS fodder for any Warship memebr.....

There would have to be proximity rules/heirerarchy to Outfit Warships. If NC WARSHIP EVILPIG-1 was the first to a certain point over a base - it retained the right to remain there - until repelled with appropriate defender counter measures. Any other NC Outfit WARSHIP could "share" the same exact coordinate (think of the WARSHIPS "stacking" above each other). As the lowest to the ground is repelled the next Empire WARSHIP assumes the prime drop spot - closest to the target. "Stacked" WARSHIPS can all hot drop....it just takes longer to hit the ground....add 10 seconds per each WARSHIP....?

If all NC WARSHIPS are repelled from that coordinate - then, the next closest OUTFIT WARSHIP (from whatever Empire) can move in and assume new priority over that spot for their Outfit, and also their Empire....sort of a "squatters rights" sort of thang....

I like the Warship Invite idea. Other Outfits in your Empre could "invite" you to visit their WARSHIP - it would have to be LIMITED - only HIGH RANKING OUTFIT MEMBERS could "invite" someone to visit their WARSHIP. It'd be a cool way to inspire each other. And yes, there could be a huge message board in the lobby/drop pod/warpgate area of the Warship where the Directive-of-the-Day .... or of the precise momnet was prominently displayed.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-11-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Big J Money
Private

I see where you're going Chaff... cool ideas for battles. It sounds like the Warship in your scenario acts almost like an "extra tower" except that you only have to worry about Outfit members spawning from it (not the whole enemy team).

I think the cool way to repel a warship in that spot would be to treat it just like a tower: you have to invade the warship and somehow send it away. Like a reverse tower battle where you have to fly UP to the base and then board it. Rather than a gal drop, you'd have to land a gal in their hanger and everyone scramble out and get to the jump room, and make the warship jump out into space again.

But I don't think warships should always be above a base..... maybe like only certain bases can have them over top. Or maybe like once you repel one, no more can come again until the base successfully switches hands. Or hell, maybe there would be a beacon item that you have to plant somewhere inside the base and defend for a certain amount of time to allow your warship to jump in.

That would make Outfit names so much more notorious. "OMG it's the EVILPIG warship of d000000m floating over our base!!"

But anyway, we all know this implementation wouldn't make it into the game's launch :-)
Old 2011-11-03, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Big J Money View Post
I see where you're going Chaff... cool ideas for battles. It sounds like the Warship in your scenario acts almost like an "extra tower" except that you only have to worry about Outfit members spawning from it (not the whole enemy team).

I think the cool way to repel a warship in that spot would be to treat it just like a tower: you have to invade the warship and somehow send it away. Like a reverse tower battle where you have to fly UP to the base and then board it. Rather than a gal drop, you'd have to land a gal in their hanger and everyone scramble out and get to the jump room, and make the warship jump out into space again.

But I don't think warships should always be above a base..... maybe like only certain bases can have them over top. Or maybe like once you repel one, no more can come again until the base successfully switches hands. Or hell, maybe there would be a beacon item that you have to plant somewhere inside the base and defend for a certain amount of time to allow your warship to jump in.

That would make Outfit names so much more notorious. "OMG it's the EVILPIG warship of d000000m floating over our base!!"

But anyway, we all know this implementation wouldn't make it into the game's launch :-)

No worries. I LOVE the WARSHIP idea. I NEVER woulda thought of this one. But...if it's an addition to a later expansion - GREAT ! The deatils would not be hard to work out. I don't know if mods are going to be in PS2 - if so - a WARSHIP mod would be a solution. It would keep WARSHIPS at least 500 meters (?) away from the center of a base ?

I think of OUTFIT WARSHIPS as a variant of a Sanctuary/Warpgate/drop pod/Loadstar Drop......
with added coolness of being a OUTFIT Clubhouse/base in-the-sky.....the "VISUAL" impact of OUTFIT WARSHIP(S) over a drop spot .... is something awesome & beautiful in my minds eye.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-11-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Big J Money
Private

Yeah the visual image is truly striking. There is the possibility that performance-wise, getting something like this into the actual planet levels might be difficult. Here's to hoping. Any implementation would be pretty awesome.

Of course the visual image in my head are the airships from BF2142, hehe. But cooler of course since it's Vanu, NC and TR!
Old 2011-11-04, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Tikuto
Major

Warships that go into orbit, too! (Orbital Warfare expansion?)
Old 2011-11-04, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Haha, I love the ideas Chaff! I've been trying to stick to what I consider to be a "realistic goal" for the warship idea, but that's a whole new level of awesome.

I was thinking these ships would just shake the ground a bit and dive through a battlefield, maybe unleashing a bit of a barrage, and dropping in Outfit forces in an area in vehicles or drop pods, just sort of like a personal HART.

That idea takes this to a whole new level of "Wtf Awesome"
Old 2011-11-04, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Traak
Colonel

Not to mention a whole new cert tree. Imagine being one of the exalted few who could actually pilot one of these things well. And not end up making it into a tombstone somewhere...
Old 2011-11-04, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I've read all kinds of unique, original, and amazing ideas in the short time I've been hangin' on PSU.

I can't think of an idea I like better than this Outfit WARSHIP thread. If I've "added" anything to it - great.

It's ironic with all the mindless speculation and wish-mongering that goes on here - that I'm so damn guilty of it myself.

whatever

...this OUTFIT WARSHIP thread kicks ass !
Old 2011-11-06, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know if these should be things that actually affect the battlefield. It seems difficult to implement them in a way that's both balanced and not kind of ridiculous. Like Chaff's idea of having them line up above a base battle and take turns appearing as they get "disabled" seems kind of facepalmy to me. I think I'd rather have them be customizable outfit space and a base to build off of for the inevitable space expansion. Or naval expansion, depending on what kind of warship.

Random thought: We're supposed to get a way for people to apply to outfits they want to join this time rather than have to get someone to actively invite them. Maybe one of the options for a warship could be a reception desk or some sort of public space that can be visited by anyone who hasn't been blacklisted?
Old 2011-11-07, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Big J Money
Private

Yeah Talek, that idea was mentioned, and I agree it's a more reasonable goal for something like warships. The warship concept seems to have potential for a number of possible uses.
Old 2011-11-25, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

This thread is STILL my favorite idea (new) for content in PS2.
Old 2011-11-29, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Don't know about stacking. The maps have a lattice system. It shouldn't be too much trouble for varying sizes of warships to have an area of space that other warships can't access, and they can't just park their humongous asses right over a base deep behind enemy territory, so they could be forced to only go as far as the front line, making them always a part of the main fight. But they should be destructible, making them risky to bring to a fight. An outfit wouldn't want to bring their ship into low orbit unless the skies are safe from ground emplacements designed to punch holes into warships.

The benefits to bringing in warships, of course, would be orbital strikes and a mobile base that offers vehicle deployments as well as troop deployments.

Though I see them primarily being deployed in a Planetside 2: Starside Intercept expansion where we're fighting over asteroids, derelict Vanu colonies, and orbital stations. There'd be room for the ships to work with up there.
Old 2011-11-29, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Raka Maru
Major

Speaking of warships, did anyone get confirmation what this bigass thing is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322624306.199795.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	184  
Old 2011-11-29, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Dunno. I was curious the moment I saw it.

I hope it's the new ES Liberator - that only the TR get.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault