Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens if I press THIS button?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Simple answer. No.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Simple answer. No.
I'm prone to agree.

Fuck, I think I'm getting loopy. Better take a break from the board.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
Vancha
Colonel

6 pages since I last posted and I still haven't seen an example of how prone benefits gameplay (not the individual).

On the other hand, there's a fair few flaws I could probably throw its way.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
6 pages since I last posted and I still haven't seen an example of how prone benefits gameplay (not the individual).

On the other hand, there's a fair few flaws I could probably throw its way.
You're not reading hard enough. The pros and cons have beaten mercilessly for hours now. Christ.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
KnightHawk ECID
Corporal

Cert? If they were to do it though make it so your' turn angle is very low so u have to reposition a lot.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
You're not reading hard enough. The pros and cons have beaten mercilessly for hours now. Christ.
The pros and cons for whom? This is why I separated the gameplay and the individual. I've seen plenty of arguing about it being beneficial for the individual and detrimental to the gameplay, but nothing about how it's beneficial to the game.

For an individual, the benefits of making yourself a smaller target or a less visible target are obvious, as is the disadvantage of less mobility, but I'd probably consider all three to be a detriment to gameplay as a whole (at least to the extent that prone does them).

Compare it to crouch...Crouch is a far softer mechanic. The movement speed decrease is less, they're still a visible target, there's still a significant center mass and it's more dynamic - crouching is far less of an investment because you can immediately get out of it, there's a constant weighing-up of whether you want to be standing or crouching in the moment. Prone meanwhile is more of a "now I'm down here" sort of thing; there's far more vulnerability between the states of standing and prone...It's more binary.

Also consider the landscape of PS. Do you want everyone being able to decrease their visibility to the extent that prone does while the maps are so much bigger in scale? Would it make for better battles outside if everyone could be hugging the ground? Would the battles be better anywhere if everyone was capable of being a less mobile, less visible, smaller target? Would it improve the flow of the game?

I can't say I've really seen that spoken about, beyond people saying it'd slow down the game (again, nothing about how it'd benefit gameplay).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-06-01 at 09:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KnightHawk ECID View Post
Cert? If they were to do it though make it so your' turn angle is very low so u have to reposition a lot.
Now that's a cool idea. Make it a cert. I like this. Keeps the proners happy like me, and if you don't like it, don't cert it. BANG
Old 2012-06-01, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Example: it provides the player a situationally relevant tactical choice: forfeit mobility for increased accuracy and a reduced hit profile. Providing users a tactical choice is a Good Thing.

I'm not arguing for including prone in Planetside 2. I don't care. I'm arguing that not seeing a single potential benefit to gameplay is intentionally disingenuous and (I would have hoped) beneath anyone with a login here.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I like this. Keeps the proners happy like me, and if you don't like it, don't cert it. BANG
I think what the people who don't like it have a problem with is that other people can do it, not that they can. So that really isn't a valid point at all.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I think what the people who don't like it have a problem with is that other people can do it, not that they can. So that really isn't a valid point at all.
Well I don't like the fact that they can use air warefare since I normally play ground. Life isn't fair?
Old 2012-06-01, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Well I don't like the fact that they can use air warefare since I normally play ground. Life isn't fair?
I didn't say it wasn't fair. It's a fine idea to make it a cert I just meant that "if you don't like it, dont cert it" is not a valid solution because it doesn't satisfy someone who doesn't like it. in fact it would make them hate it worse probably.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I didn't say it wasn't fair. It's a fine idea to make it a cert I just meant that "if you don't like it, dont cert it" is not a valid solution because it doesn't satisfy someone who doesn't like it. in fact it would make them hate it worse probably.
*IF* it was ever implemented though, I think the cert suggestion is probably the most fair and reasonable solution so far. Can you agree with that?

Or is it the all or nothing philosophy?
Old 2012-06-01, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Example: it provides the player a situationally relevant tactical choice: forfeit mobility for increased accuracy and a reduced hit profile. Providing users a tactical choice is a Good Thing.

I'm not arguing for including prone in Planetside 2. I don't care. I'm arguing that not seeing a single potential benefit to gameplay is intentionally disingenuous and (I would have hoped) beneath anyone with a login here.
I already addressed that in my post after that. Crouch is the same choice, but it's more dynamic and less extreme. Is the extent to which prone reduces someone's hit profile, mobility and visibility actually beneficial to Planetside 2's specific gameplay?
Old 2012-06-01, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
Graywolves
General

I want a poll so I can just vote no.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Can't really answer that 'til I've got a screen in front of me and a zillion flashlight bolts screaming in.

edit - @Vancha
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion