Gameplay: New continent/area for an interesting twist on dog-fighting - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like a religous exterminator, we spray and pray.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-07, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NoKitty
Private

New continent/area for an interesting twist on dog-fighting

I'm sure they will, or perhaps already do, have a continent/area with a forest theme. My idea creates an interesting space for air vehicles to experience.

Imagine a forest with trees on the scale of redwoods. The trees create a ceiling and air fighting takes places amongst pillars that pilots must navigate when fighting. They could always just fly over the trees to avoid them and fight other air ships, but then they wouldn't have access to the ground units to attack or protect.

I can imagine a skilled pilot weaving through the giant tree trunks to avoid enemy fire, while lesser skilled pilots test their ship's durability on the face of giant pillars.
Old 2012-06-08, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New continent/area for an interesting twist on dog-fighting

Reminds me of the trees on Hossin. It worked well enough there, perhaps we'll see them revisit that sort of landscape.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Surprise
Private

Sounds like it would be fun to watch.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dagron
Captain

I love it.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zekeen
Major

It's probably going to happen. There was one similar to that in PS1. You'd have troop movements through the forests and watch reavers attempt to kill troops with poor results.

You'd never see an aircraft enter the forest.... unless you were with me. Yes it ended badly, but it sure as hell shook off pursuers.

Your idea is a much more sparse forest where you can hardly get over the trees. I picture a dog fight being more like the star wars speeder chase scene in style.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I DEFINITELY want to see places where skilled pilots can go to risk death with the slim hope of survival when they are near death and being chased down...Something a little more expansive than the rock outcroppings around the base we've seen this week. Big trees? Creviced plateaus? A series of simple caves?

All I know is it would be cool to have difficult, but not impossible series of obstacles integrated into the map for pilots to play cat and mouse in...Something that would evoke that feeling of watching "A New Hope".
Old 2012-06-08, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
It's probably going to happen. There was one similar to that in PS1. You'd have troop movements through the forests and watch reavers attempt to kill troops with poor results.

You'd never see an aircraft enter the forest.... unless you were with me. Yes it ended badly, but it sure as hell shook off pursuers.

Your idea is a much more sparse forest where you can hardly get over the trees. I picture a dog fight being more like the star wars speeder chase scene in style.
So this...I posted my reply before I saw your response...I loved doing this as much as actually getting kills! lol When I was bored and waiting at a base, I would fly in circles inside the base walls under the bridges and landing pads...Flying obstacles was soo much fun.
Old 2012-06-08, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
So this...I posted my reply before I saw your response...I loved doing this as much as actually getting kills! lol When I was bored and waiting at a base, I would fly in circles inside the base walls under the bridges and landing pads...Flying obstacles was soo much fun.
Doing it with a Galaxy is even more insane! Also, I remember a few months ago we had a long thread on the fact that the trees deserve their own kill count, since that was so frequent back in the day.
Old 2012-06-08, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Doing it with a Galaxy is even more insane! Also, I remember a few months ago we had a long thread on the fact that the trees deserve their own kill count, since that was so frequent back in the day.
Yeah I remember reading that one...never did do a Galaxy spec actually...I used to love doing the lone wolf troll...Specifically sitting in my Reaver hovering directly over the center of a warp gate...I'd wait for re-enforcements for the opposing side to come through and hurry off to the fight and then unload half my available rockets on them before they knew I was there, lol

I was good enough to dogfight mosquitos, and I played mostly before the wasp, so I had a grand old time back then!
Old 2012-06-10, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NoKitty
Private

Yea the forest area in PS1 was a little small. Not big enough to have dog fights in.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ductape
Private

Just a thought, wouldn't the scythe have a huge advantage in that type of environment? The ability to speed up, slowdown, and turn on a dime would be worth its weight in gold on that type of continent.

However, I think that it would allow for some really interesting ground fighting with less air support and broken lines of sight all over. It would also probably benefit from some new smaller and more maneuverable air vehicles on all sides.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
maskedskull
Sergeant

I know that the biodomes will basically have forests in them which are solely dedicated to infantry fighting (since nothing else can get inside) and that will be an interesting dynamic but also having areas like you suggested would be quite interesting as well.
Old 2012-06-11, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NoKitty
Private

@ductape
If scythe has an advantage in the forest, then it will have an advantage in any dog fight. scythe just needs to be balanced, which devs have mentioned as well.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MedicDude
Private

I'm hoping they limit ground based anti-air to short-medium ranges, or give powerful countermeasures abilities as a trade-off with primary Air to Ground weaponry. Dogfighting should be encouraged by allowing empires to fight over high altitudes without having to worry about ground-based weapons.

I'd rather not see specific continents or areas designated for dog-fighting only, It would by much cooler to integrate that with the current battlefield. Especially at night time, watching the birds duke it out high in the sky would be awesome.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
KILLFACE
Sergeant

Used to do that on 2142. Part of why I've got 150 hours on the 2142 jet and 650 roadkills with it. As a Ace Pilot who's shot down people so talented you'd not believe if I told ya. Yeah sounds pretty cool man. I know for a fact I'd do ok in there, but most people would not. There was a 2142 mod with a Endor map that was pretty cool, most people even crashed Speeder Bikes though let alone Jets much, much larger. I've got video of doing it on a map with a lot of trees but not converted it down from a few gig yet. I do however have this handy. (There was a time when I was a lot better than on that video but I was very rusty when recording it)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...=LIKEABAWS.mp4
And hey, if you too are a skilled pilot holla at me on jetbastards.enjin.com. I'll be happy to fly with ye. We need pilots and Airborne Infantry of a few different varieties.

Last edited by KILLFACE; 2012-06-12 at 07:42 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault