Jet Packs for other classes? (please read post before flaming) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the Devs!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-19, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Notsononymous
Private

Jet Packs for other classes? (please read post before flaming)

In my mind it seems silly to limit jet packs to light assault. Giving jet packs to certain classes, for example the Infiltrator or the Heavy Assault (i.e. they already have cloaking and personal shields respectively) would be overpowered. Giving it to the MAX unit would simply not make gravitational sense, not to mention how stupidly overpowered that would be.

However the engineer class and especially the medic class I feel not only need this buff from gameplay videos, but could also use this to open up many tactical options.

Imagine how invaluable having a medic who can keep up with a light assault squad. Moreover, it would give another incentive to play this otherwise underwhelming class apart than the (relatively) altruistic incentive to heal and revive squadmates. Moreover, giving the medic class jetpacks would further this goal.

Perhaps more controversially, giving a jetpack to the engineer class would allow them not only to safely pilot air vehicles without the need for vehicle specific certifications, where as at the moment I can foresee most aircraft piloting being done by the light assault class, as they are able to safely eject from any height. In my mind, this removes half the job of the engineer class. It would also allow them to create tactical advantages by deploying their turrets "on the high ground".

Thoughts?
Old 2012-07-19, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Re: Jet Packs for other classes? (please read post before flaming)

Doesn't really make sense to me. Engineers have lots to do already, not to mention the possibility of additional CE being added. Medics seem fine as well. But as for light assaults flying aircraft, its really up to the pilot. I like the idea of having the option, sure if you go light assault you can survive a bail out, but really, if you are a dedicated pilot, bailing out won't accomplish much for you since your aircraft is all the way back at the spawn point anyway. As a result you will probably want to go engineer so you can land and repair yourself, and thus not have to wait for your health to slowly regen.

Alternatively if you aren't as dedicated to aircraft, you may want to go light assault so that when you get close to death you can hop out and join the fight without having to re-spawn

As for tactical height advantage and medics following LA squads.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=45366

Just an idea that doesn't sacrifice the individuality of the LA

Last edited by Lumberchuk; 2012-07-19 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SteinB
Sergeant

I'd be against Medics, and especially Engineers having the jump ability. Note that I plan to play an Engineer the great majority of the time, so this is coming from a purely game balance point of view and not what would benefit or harm my own gameplay.

I had the good fortune to participate in the community day playtest and saw this first hand, the mobility advantage of the Light Assault class compared to the other classes is huge. The game need to balance this huge advantage with significant disadvantages like not having support assets readily available to them. Light Assault characters can use their mobility to get back to any support they need (except revives of course) and Engineers should not have the ability to place CE in the areas a jumpjetter could reach.
Old 2012-07-19, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Accuser
Sergeant Major

/flame

The jumpjet is arguably the most powerful ability in the game. Giving the LA longer range weapons, or healing ability, or repairing ability, or ammo packs would be unbalanced. Similarly, giving a jumpjet to any class that can do those things is similarly unbalanced.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Loco
Private

In your opinions would a zip line be just like the jet pack? The ability to basically climb a wall.

Or does the Jet Pack bring much more to the table than vertical maneuverability?
Old 2012-07-20, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
GuyShep
Private

The purpose of Light Assault is so he can get to places more easily than other classes, and has access to areas that other classes are unable to reach. By giving the Medic and Engineer jetpacks, you've neutered Light Assault entirely.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PilotJack
Private

Yeah I disagree with more jet packs for other classes. The point of the jetpack is that the light assault trooper makes do with a "sub-par" weapon compared to the rest of the classes. Giving any other class a jet pack would unbalance things.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I would tend to say no. Light Assault's trademark is it's jump jetting ability. Without that to distinguish it, they don't have much of anything else to stand out.

I wouldn't be too worried about Medics and Engineers if I were you.

Medics are already going to be invaluable due to their healing and reviving, and if I'm not mistaken, they also have the most powerful rifle variants after the Heavy Assault class.

Engineers will probably be one of the weaker direct combat classes, but they will have so many other options such as setting up turrets to drastically boost their own or their teammates firepower that it will more than make up for this. Between dropping ammo and repairing things, their supportive role will rival or exceed the medic, and I think they will probably end up being the most used class due to their versatility as well as the fact that they are pretty much the default driver class due to their repair ability.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to giving weaker versions of a lot of class specific things to other classes though. Weaker jump packs for other classes that only give them a fraction of the vertical clearance of Light Assault. A weaker medigun for non medic classes which heals slower and can't revive. That sort of stuff I think could stay balanced while not infringing too far on what makes each class unique.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Notsononymous
Private

I was under the impression that the Light Assault's weapons were essentially the cream of the crop as far as automatic weapons went in the game, and that the Medic's and the Engi's weapons were essentially full-auto pistols housed in a rifle stock.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I agree with maybe giving a grappling hook tool to other classes.... even LA could use that honestly... swap it for the grenade slot as an option for mobility at the cost of lethality.

Maybe some sorta MAX jumps where they have 1 less arm and half the armor (or less) would be acceptable.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
GuyShep
Private

Originally Posted by Notsononymous View Post
I was under the impression that the Light Assault's weapons were essentially the cream of the crop as far as automatic weapons went in the game, and that the Medic's and the Engi's weapons were essentially full-auto pistols housed in a rifle stock.
Which is not the case. The Engineer and Medic will be well capable of taking on Infantry with their weapons, Light Assault is just a more front line-oriented class.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault