Melee in PS:Next - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where is your weapon? What weapon? THIS WEAPON!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-11-16, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kumoblade
Corporal

Melee in PS:Next

What are your thoughts on Melee fighting for PlanetSide: Next? Do you think it should be left out all together or Potentially Expanded upon?

I'm of the Opinion that Melee weapons should be expanded upon a bit. A viable option for when you're out of ammo or want to pull off a Quick stealth kill or tie up an Enemy in a close ranged fight. They need to do away with the annoying sound effects and/or glows of current Melee weapons.

As well as adding a few options to the Melee pool, I think guns should also be able to serve a purpose in melee attacks (eg. Smashing them with the Stock of your rifle).

I also think there should be a way to specialize in melee for added bonuses when you're attacking in melee engagements.

While I'd rather have a great fire-fight over a bunch of people trying to knife each other, I think a little extra melee would be a pretty cool feature for those who like a little variety in ways to kill people.
Old 2009-11-16, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Re: Melee in PS:Next

I'll only except punching if they hold monthly boxing tournaments.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2009-11-16, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I'd like melee the same way it exists now in Planetside, except get rid of that fucking annoyance called secondary fire mode on the TR's Chainblade. Do something else.
Old 2009-11-16, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I'd like melee the same way it exists now in Planetside, except get rid of that fucking annoyance called secondary fire mode on the TR's Chainblade. Do something else.
How about just keeping them a regular fucking knife? Why do we even need a secondary mode?

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2009-11-16, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Because not everyone uses Melee Boost.

Melee Boost + secondary mode = (pretty much, anyway) insta-gib
Old 2009-11-17, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JackEarthrider
Corporal

I really want to caution against overpowered melee.

I was in another game that had FPS style game play (it was medieval style), but because the melee was the most powerful, every enemy would spin around you like a top slashing away like a madman.

It became quite annoying because every battle became a button mashing, top spinning, rinse-and-repeat fest...

Now I do agree being able to bash someone with the stock of your gun would be cool when your clip runs dry; however, you need to make sure its got a slow rate of fire and doesn't insta kill the target. Otherwise were going to start seeing the melee-only-knife-fight morons who just get super close and spin around you...

Anyway, its a good idea, just tread lightly.....

Last edited by JackEarthrider; 2009-11-17 at 02:26 PM.
Old 2009-11-17, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think that the secondary modes on the knife should do somethinng useful

When i was new to the game, i slashed at an equipment terminal for like 5 minutes hoping it would do something.
Maybe have a magnet turn on inside the knife, that when you stick it in (and leave it) the terminal cannot be used.
Yeah, melee should be slow, and two hit kill (unless it's to the face) And if you hit someone with the end of your gun, it should stun them, not kill them (unless again, it's to the face)
Old 2009-11-22, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kumoblade
Corporal

They should change secondary fire to a secondary fire and not a Secondary fire Mode.

Switching to Secondary Fire Mode >>> Attacking, 2 actions. by the time you switch to chainsaw mode/Rocket ship landing mode, people will either have their dark vision on looking for you or you will have a huge target painted on your forehead.

The Secondary Fire Mode shouldn't activate the Sound until you're actually Swinging. This isn't the texas chainsaw massacre where the sound of a Chainsaw blade is scary.

Otherwise, I think there should be a Stealth knife/blade for infiltrators to use, so they don't have to reveal their position while they mow the lawn.
Old 2009-11-22, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tikuto
Major

An ordinary blade would be fine with me though maybe with futuristic style but no special features like a chain or a magnetic attraction or even then weird glowing shit that the Vanu had. Just a blade that can be used on its own or attached to weapons, which automatically attachs itself when equiping these weapons. this saves the tedious time of having to select a weapon or having to drag-drop the knife on and off your weapon.

Infiltrator melee
As I've suggested in other threads, allowing most players to have a Darklight vision not as an implant but as a helmet feature may allow for balance prospects for the Infiltrator to be more powerful and more exciting.
The infiltrator suit could have an external bionic that looks like ribbed-worm resting hard on the infiltrator armor supporting the bodily muscles, and would work as "extra muscles" to boost run-speed and melee power like Surge and Melee Boost implant. Where most players will have this Darklight vision available (not as an Implant but as an armor utility) this can counter-act a powerful imbalance, don't you think?

Last edited by Tikuto; 2009-11-22 at 06:03 AM.
Old 2009-11-22, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kumoblade
Corporal

So you want the Crysis suit?
Old 2009-11-23, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sifer2
Major

I think Infiltrators were meant to be more like spies than assassins though which is kind of why they were not powerful damage dealers. An why dark light was not made as readily available so they had a better chance of staying hidden.

If it was set up like your saying the game could get very annoying with having to constantly check your back in dark light mode or get assassinated.

Anyway melee is usually just a gimmik in FPS games. I have only played one where melee was a major element an that was only because they intentionally overpowered it to make the game melee focused. Otherwise people will always opt for a gun an just kite you dead.
Old 2009-12-09, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Quite simply I want to be able to hit someone with my gun to damage them slightly and also
daze them for a few seconds.

Other than that Ill use my knife to do more damage.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion