News: MMORPG.com Editorial on PlanetSide 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's the site that watches back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-14, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

MMORPG.com Editorial on PlanetSide 2

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...ide-2-2508.htm

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-14 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added Prefix
Old 2011-07-14, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Re: MMORPG.com Editorial on PlanetSide 2

Great quote.. And I agree SOE has been failing lately. This is huge for them
Old 2011-07-14, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SwiftRanger
Private

FPSGuru also has some opinions about the game and what they hope it will adress.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

I lol'd...MMORPG.com flash error...

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable clickthruBtn is not defined.
at vin_refresh_300x250_rm_subload_fla::MainTimeline/frame2()
they're putting movie clips on the time line...ha ha ha.
Old 2011-07-14, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sifer2
Major

Pretty much. Has SOE even had any hit games since Star Wars Galaxies an Planetside?

I do think it must have been a wake up call for them at some point recently this year. With game after game not doing that well. From how they describe it though it seems like they will have a winner with Planetside 2 so long as they listen to player feedback in Beta an beyond an don't screw it up. At least until Titan comes out. Since that will probably steal players whether its better or not cause of Blizzard sheep mentality. And if it is better then well they better make the most of the head start.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

The EQ franchise is still cooking along but they definitely need more than that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I always take MMORPG.com with a grain of salt, no so much the "editorials" as the user base there is quite... negative.

Otherwise good read.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kietharr
Private

It's true, it's very, very easy to find reasons to hate SOE nowadays and increasingly hard to find reasons to like them. I hate them for ruining SWG (the dealings involving the expansion and the NGE left the most sour taste in my mouth), I hate them for ruining Planetside, I hate them for squeezing every penny possible out of the Everquest franchise, I hate them for the repeated kid MMO releases like Freerealms and that silly Clone Wars game that even Smedley could barely take seriously.

It takes digging a lot deeper to find genuine feelings of anything that even resembles 'like' when I hear the word SOE. I like that they own two of my favorite IPs, EQ and Planetside. I like that they at least have the common courtesy to ruin their own games instead of going all EA and buying up studios and their IPs simply to cash in and ruin them in the process.

But that's about it. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who, when asked "which developer is really producing GREAT games right now?" would say SOE. Maybe Planetside 2 and EQ3 could change this for them. We'll see.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CutterJohn
Colonel

Volumetric clouds? Holy shit thats awesome. I hope they block lock on weapons...
Old 2011-07-14, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Great quote.. And I agree SOE has been failing lately. This is huge for them
Huh? I agree, DCOU was not a massive hit(YET ANOTHER SUPERHERO MMO...) but the finial game i beleive was well polished, though i hear i could use some engame content or something? i dunno iv never played it. The clone wars well i think its average and failed to impress, certainly after they released free realms. Ill go out and say it, Free realms is the most polished, complete and had the most MMO launch i have ever seen.

they started with 3 servers, they quickly opened it upto 7, i think they run more than that now, thoough ivnot played in a year, ill let the wiki give some facts:

John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, revealed that 1 million users had signed up to Free Realms 18 days after its launch;[25] a month after release Free Realms reached 2 million users,[26] and registrations have continued growing at a steady rate since then. As of July 24, 2009, it had approximately 5 million registered users.[27] Sony Online Entertainment announced in February 2010 that the game now has 8 million registered users.[28] In April 2010, it was announced that the game has now 10 million players, with two million players signing up in March 2010.[29]
wiki.

anyway, if SOE put asmuch effort and polish into PS2 as they did free realms, it should be nothing short of amazing.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion