Gameplay: Dedicated driver certification for MBT - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remove head from sphincter, than post!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.21 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-01, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Re: Dedicated driver certification for MBT

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Why i it we cannot go back to the old system?
Because this is a new game. It is not Planetside with better graphics. SOE's words not mine, I personally love how tanks worked before but I just think its highly unlikely that change will happen.

Also, a 3 person crew is far from realistic. It's the greatest possible oversimplification without rewarding solo tankers.
This word has very little meaning in this game. A game set in the future, with nanites and re-spawning as part of the lore can very easily justify a tank operate by 0 people. This game is not a military simulator, Planetside 1 was not and that is something they will not be changing for Planetside 2, in fact in a lot of ways its becoming more arcade-like to attract mass amounts of people. Not saying its all good, but that's the way it is.

Also the Leopard 2 has a crew of 4. 3 is not very far from realistic. With advanced technology that takes control of loading and targeting, I fail to see how this is unrealistic.

From what I understand about the tanks so far in Planetside 2 is that they only reach their full potential when they are manned by 2 people anyway. Without someone to gun the secondary weapon the vehicle (being slow) is extremely vulnerable to combined infantry attack, or air power. So solo tankers in a sense aren't getting a full MBT if they go alone. Hotswapping is irrelevant because of the timer on it and because both guns cannot be fire simultaneously.

On a side note I would really suggest ARMA II to you as a more realistic game. Not the Dayz mod that you may have heard of, but the vanilla game itself. You can find some really sweet Milsim groups that will give you exactly what your looking for. The ACE mod adds even more realism and when played with a group of good players, makes for some awesome experiences.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Gugabalog
Major

I am not advocating realism, I am saying those that argue 3 is realism are not informed.

I believe in a dedicated gunner on principle, not for a want of authenticity.
Old 2012-08-01, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Lumberchuk
Corporal

My bad I must have misread your posts. Still though am I getting it right that you want a tank to REQUIRE 3 people to operate. As in 1 person in the vehicle would only be driving, and they would have to switch to the other 2 seats to fire any of the guns?

Because that there will not happen for MBTs. Way to much change and devs want every player to be able to try everything without requiring them to have a team of players with them. Also I have a feeling they want to take a bite out of BF3's armoured kill by making the vehicles controls very similar.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
SOE
The last time I saw them comment on it they were still considering. Can you give link to where they stated that it's out?

The Mag is the issue. 'Fixing' the Mag means a complete functional redesign from the ground up. Won't happen by release unless the Mag is as common as DC MAXes in PS1.
No. They just need to change the model a little so the main gun is on a turret. After that they only need to lock the turret when it's the drivergunner version.
Old 2012-08-02, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Except that the Mag was designed from the ground up to be a massive floating turret. They would have to change everything about it to normalize it.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Lumberchuk
Corporal

I do like the solution someone gave. If there is a dedicated gunner, just give them a firing arc of like 120 degrees or something.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Gugabalog
Major

I think that's a pretty bad solution. Give the lone wolf tanker the 120 degree arc and reward the teamplayers with a 360.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Lumberchuk
Corporal

The point of the fixed gun is for simplicity of controls. You'll have too many buttons otherwise. To make up for this the Mag has a crazily increased turn rate, however it lacks the ability to run away and fire simultaneously. Giving it a 360 turret will negate this weakness and will mean the 2 person mag could have an incredible advantage over the other 2 faction tanks when they are occupied by 2 people.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Exactly. As it is, the entire tank is the turret.
Old 2012-08-02, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Gugabalog
Major

You missed my point. I was talking about ALL tanks.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Being a driver gunner is bad enough without arbitrary arcs.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Xenostalker
Corporal

There should not be a solo-piloted main battle tank. If you want to solo tank, you get the paper tank (and for good reason).
Old 2012-08-02, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Gugabalog
Major

^ Exactly. But in the case of dev refusal and they do a dedicated driver cert, I feelthey should penalize solo mbts with a 120 forward firing arc.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

^ Exactly. But in the case of dev refusal and they do a dedicated driver cert, I feelthey should penalize solo mbts with a 120 forward firing arc.
I prefer the penalize them with less hp.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Gugabalog
Major

I prefer the penalize them with less hp.
Who says we can't do both?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault