Gameplay: Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who came up with cannon fodder anyways?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-03, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity

Greetings PSU Community,

I have been thinking about realistic bullet physics a bit, and realized that bullet velocity or damage in PlanetSide 2 may not actually be affected by movement speed. Where bullet velocity would matter is in damage inflicted, as well as affecting the dropoff point.

This is mostly in consideration of vehicles and aircraft, because +50 km/h is enough to significantly increase the velocity of a round that has been fired. It won't matter as much with infantry (except with airborne Light Assault) because they can't really move fast enough that change would really be perceptible.

How much it would add to the distance and damage is probably not an extreme amount, maybe +2.5% for 50 km/h up to +10% for 300 km/h. Where this would matter is that it gives the initiative and advantage to vehicles who are charging, especially compared to vehicles that are retreating and firing backwards (which would reduce the velocity of shots). It would also give better reach to vehicles that are moving compared to ones that are stationary.

I can see how it could work as a drawback as well, because it would force gunners to be more aware of the velocity of the vehicle itself. Though the consistent effect of this across all vehicles would essentially balance everything out.
Old 2012-05-03, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Garem
Sergeant

Re: Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity

Modern bullets move at about 900-1000 m/s (approx 4500 km/h) to way, way faster- up to 4000 m/s. And we're shooting futuristic video game bullets. The motion of a vehicle will not significantly impact projectile velocity, especially in a game that limits your range of view and distance of shots. We're not shooting artillery here.

Bullet physics don't need to be real in the game. Simple and believable is sufficient. Maybe better, since there will be thousands of these bad boys floating around and we don't need to add even more computations to the mess when those minute computations will have little to no impact on outcomes.

Last edited by Garem; 2012-05-03 at 01:31 PM.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity

Originally Posted by Garem View Post
Modern bullets move at about 900-1000 m/s (approx 4500 km/h) to way, way faster- up to 4000 m/s. And we're shooting futuristic video game bullets. The motion of a vehicle will not significantly impact projectile velocity, especially in a game that limits your range of view and distance of shots. We're not shooting artillery here.

Bullet physics don't need to be real in the game. Simple and believable is sufficient. Maybe better, since there will be thousands of these bad boys floating around and we don't need to add even more computations to the mess when those minute computations will have little to no impact on outcomes.

Heh, exactly what crossed my mind when I read the OP.

It was smart to think that vehicle speed could have an impact on realistic bullet physics, however it would make too small a difference that the effect would really be minimal and make number-crunching more complicated.

Besides, I think to look at realism of bullet speeds isn't necessary to make gameplay fun and at least a little believable. If they changed that then someone discovered that the NC are still constructing brand new NTU vehicles that look 'worn and rugged' would seem to be more of a fashion statement than a necessity in battle

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault