News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 70 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its best with whipped cream.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1036
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Ah right Company _________ has the worst executives ever.

You could take many of the posts in this thread and change the names and it would live on pretty much any internet gaming forum.
Too true, but rather my comments were in comparison of SOE/Smedley and Sony Corp in general. Honestly, I'm just trying to come up with any kind of logical excuse for why Smed would want to shove a big europeen up his butt and almost completely screw his own corporation by selling a very large portion of it's player base to an entirely different and relatively new to the scene corporation.

to restate, I fully believe this partnership wasn't Smed's idea.

That and responding to each and every comment gives me the excuse to keep this thread on the first page and hopefully remind someone at SOE to step on Smed's balls and get him to explain this new deal he has us waiting for.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-25 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1037
LONGFELLA KOJ
Corporal

I have many friends in my outfit from Australia, Europe, New Zealand. Not to mention all the players that are from the US that get deployed due to their military duties. We have US players in Kosovo, Iraq and other locations. I would hate to not be able to play along side them everynight. They are a large portion of what makes my outfit so enjoyable.

That said. I hate foreigners...

Ok, I'm kidding. What I think needs to be done is not so much restrict locations but restrict connections. All this talk of "I'm from Germany but I get a 44 ping!" Who cares, you are making clientside sh*t a brick trying to shake hands with the US side players. Just do what old SOF2 servers did back in the day. If your ping is to high, to get booted from server. If you have a large amount of packet loss, you get booted from server and if you are way above or way below the statistical parameters set up by SOE (that's if they bother set any) then you get the boot.

And by get the boot, I mean ushered to the appropriate server

I think we're done here.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1038
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
I have many friends in my outfit from Australia, Europe, New Zealand. Not to mention all the players that are from the US that get deployed due to their military duties. We have US players in Kosovo, Iraq and other locations. I would hate to not be able to play along side them everynight. They are a large portion of what makes my outfit so enjoyable.

That said. I hate foreigners...

Ok, I'm kidding. What I think needs to be done is not so much restrict locations but restrict connections. All this talk of "I'm from Germany but I get a 44 ping!" Who cares, you are making clientside sh*t a brick trying to shake hands with the US side players. Just do what old SOF2 servers did back in the day. If your ping is to high, to get booted from server. If you have a large amount of packet loss, you get booted from server and if you are way above or way below the statistical parameters set up by SOE (that's if they bother set any) then you get the boot.

And by get the boot, I mean ushered to the appropriate server

I think we're done here.
QFE
Old 2012-03-27, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1039
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
I think we're done here.
We were done here at the bottom of page 70.
Old 2012-03-27, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1040
Kran De Loy
Captain

... It's not done. It's not about ping. It's not about server locations. It's not about server maintenance or localization issues.

It's about two major corporations getting together to ruin a lot of people's hopes of something spectacular. It's about a huge gaping wound that was dealt to that hope when they announced region locking. It's now about how one small band-aid isn't going to cover that.

It's not done, not healed, until we get a strait answer about how it's going to work.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-27 at 04:34 AM.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1041
Skittles
Sergeant

Its not going to work.

This thing is on the back burner as far as SOE is concerned and a dead subject. Region locking is in, its simply a matter of waiting for beta releases and people to become more interested in the James Woods/Family Guy "Oh, a piece of candy. Oh a piece of candy." scenerio to play out then worrying about the few outfits, randoms they'll lose by region locking.

This crap was huge and important a month ago. Its become a whimper here with only a handful still posting on this thread. In another few months, after beta invites are sent and the buzz about all that is thru, SOE will not give a rats ass about region locks.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1042
Vancha
Colonel

Actually, they should give a rats ass. Planetside 2 is coming long before EQNext, if the EQ players see SOE has in fact ignored us, the EQ players will realize the same thing will happen to them and they'll be in an uproar once again. Not to mention SOE's reputation taking another hit with bad publicity. If new players are made aware on day one that they're playing a game "despite" a bad company instead of playing with an improving company, they will be less hesitant to leave the first time they're burned by SOE.
Old 2012-03-27, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1043
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Its not going to work.

This thing is on the back burner as far as SOE is concerned and a dead subject. Region locking is in, its simply a matter of waiting for beta releases and people to become more interested in the James Woods/Family Guy "Oh, a piece of candy. Oh a piece of candy." scenerio to play out then worrying about the few outfits, randoms they'll lose by region locking.

This crap was huge and important a month ago. Its become a whimper here with only a handful still posting on this thread. In another few months, after beta invites are sent and the buzz about all that is thru, SOE will not give a rats ass about region locks.
No, it will pick right up if it becomes evident that there is no Solution
Old 2012-03-27, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1044
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Its not going to work.

It hasn't become a whimper at all, it's become an "Ok, we'll wait and see".

Fail to deliver and gaming communities release absolutely monstrous outrage. ME3 and TOR being two excellent examples of it recently.

If SOE fails on the customer relations level before they've even released the game, with this issue, they set a precedent for their attitude and behaviour to their customers being akin to that of EA.

If that precedence and comparison gets set, if people compare and view them as a company no different to EA in their lack of care for their customers, well that will be a deathblow to the game before it's even started.

If they don't recognise that, they deserve the failure that they'll bring on themselves with it. EA get by on consumer ignorance because a massive proportion of their market doesn't follow what goes on in backwater gaming sites. They manage to avoid negative publicity until after a game goes to sale. And they strive off of the sales they get from those that don't know of their misgivings.

If SOE on the other hand label themselves prior to launch, they're fucked. Not to mention they have absolutely no means to make quick cash, F2P and all that.

I will be comparing SOE to EA at every opportunity I can should this occur, and I urge everyone else to take the same stance. It's pretty much the strongest threat that can happen and it'll damn well give the people in suits something to worry about.

Want results? You threaten the bottom line.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-27, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1045
Skittles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Actually, they should give a rats ass. Planetside 2 is coming long before EQNext, if the EQ players see SOE has in fact ignored us, the EQ players will realize the same thing will happen to them and they'll be in an uproar once again. Not to mention SOE's reputation taking another hit with bad publicity. If new players are made aware on day one that they're playing a game "despite" a bad company instead of playing with an improving company, they will be less hesitant to leave the first time they're burned by SOE.
Shoulda-woulda-coulda

Same with EQNext. What it boils down to is Pro7, and the money they've already invested in this venture. They're a multi-BILLION dollar company. You honestly think they give a rats ass about a handful of outfits-clans-societies from PS-EQ? Hell no. The amount of money they stand to lose by those people not signing up is minimal. M-I-N-I-M-A-L.

In 2004 EQ had 450k subs. 8yrs later how many do you think they've retained? 100K to be generous, even if ALL of them quit, which is obviously far-fetched, thats a mere $1.5m a month. That is not even the interest earned on a multi-BILLION dollar companies cash reserves.

So in http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...649#post664649

We have ArmedZealot suggesting that PS2 with all its BF3 imitations is going to sell somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 MILLION copies!!!
A stretch granted, but lets go with PS2 having 300k subs and those subs purchase $10.00 worth of CS a month. They're still DOUBLING their profits.

I dont care for the deal anymore then anyone else, but I dont see Pro7 giving a rats ass and allowing SOE and Smedly to just back right out after giving them a huge cash influx. Sorry. You dont become a multi-BILLION dollar company by handing out lollipops and kittens to every Tom, Dick and Harry that asks for a "partnership". You do it by being the a ruthless mofo and bludgeoning your opponent to your will.
Old 2012-03-27, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1046
Vancha
Colonel

Read the thread, there's enough of it. You don't have a grasp of the situation if you think this only stands to lose SOE it's current subscribers.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1047
Skittles
Sergeant

Read the thread, there's enough of it. You don't have a grasp of the situation if you think this only stands to lose SOE it's current subscribers.
Read the post theres enough of it, you dont grasp the situation if you think Pro7 cares whether SOE loses current OR future subscribers.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1048
Vancha
Colonel

you dont grasp the situation if you think Pro7 cares whether SOE loses current OR future subscribers.
SOE isn't the only one that stands to lose out on region locking. Given a choice between profit (region locked) or bigger profit (non-region locked), why would Pro7 choose the former?
Old 2012-03-28, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1049
Shanesan
Sergeant

SOE isn't the only one that stands to lose out on region locking. Given a choice between profit (region locked) or bigger profit (non-region locked), why would Pro7 choose the former?
Because there's a lot more to this deal than they tell us. Pro7 makes their money on region locking and/or monopolizing. If they can't monopolize, they wouldn't think of joining forces with SoE.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1050
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Because there's a lot more to this deal than they tell us. Pro7 makes their money on region locking and/or monopolizing. If they can't monopolize, they wouldn't think of joining forces with SoE.
They will make money and monopolize regardless of a region lock...