Was reading up on certs... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Begging on the streets to support the trolls.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-14, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sol
Sergeant

I agree with teh fish! A 24 hour limit allows anyone to be anything.

Hacker today, MAX tomorrow!
Old 2003-02-15, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Arshune
Captain

You gotta think though, something you like in VR training you might not like when people have the counter-item to it. From what I can gather, VR training is mostly target practice and vehicle hazard courses.

I like 24 hours, it's long enough that people can't switch on the fly during base defense, but they won't make the decision to change unless they really don't like the cert they have.

On a side note, they said you can get up to battle rank 5 in VR training, is that just from the experience someone gets for trying new things out and completing the various tests, or is it like an actual game against other players?

-Our principal is SO hardcore.
Old 2003-02-15, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ludio
First Sergeant

Originally posted by Flashingfish
Having it as 24 hours is a bit annoying really, because no one will have as "defined" characters as if they'd have to choose certs more carefully.
They may not be as defined cert wise, but if you constantly play a certain role then you will be much better at it. For example if your outfit has a shortage of galaxy pilots for an assualt they are planning and they need extras then you can change the day before. If your main experience has been as an infilitrator though, then you probably aren't going to be a very good pilot.

It is mostly because if after a month of playing you decide you hate being a sniper you don't have to wait for 1/4 of the time you have been playing to change roles. I know that having 4 characters makes it so that it isn't so essential to change roles, but many people may not want to start over.
Old 2003-02-15, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
thegame109
First Sergeant

"They should make it like 72 hours or something, to keep the people that wanna week and 24 hour people happy."

I agree with what's said here!,it seems much more logical!

PLANETSIDE!!
Old 2003-02-15, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ranger
Private

Actually i like the 24 hour waiting time. But i could also see it if they changed it to 72 hours. It would be more of a penalty for unlearning things and would force them, if they are impatient, to use their other caracters if they want to play effectively.

--passage taken from Red Storm Rising , by Tom Clancy
Old 2003-02-15, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
AcidNick
Private

a week is a long time, thats almost 10 days...

*just so noone thinks im retarded, this post was just for comical purposes*

anyways, i think maybe a 2-4 day period would be good, cause what if you mis click, wouldnt wanna be a hacker, if you really meant to be max.
Old 2003-02-15, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Flameseeker
Captain

It should be 36 hours IMHO. That seems like a good number. BTW, stupid, a week isn't ten days, it's 5. You people can't count.
Old 2003-02-15, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Sigh, a week is 6 days.

Well, I like the shorter time myself. Longer times accentuate the need for alts, which I don't like.
Old 2003-02-15, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

the measure weeks in days? i thought it was just i woke up 7 times. I say it should take 2 waking periods to change certs?

Also, after BL5 can you go back to the VR training? Just to try things out again?

EDIT: hey look....a whole thread on this.....http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...&threadid=2957

Last edited by Hellsfire123; 2003-02-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 2003-02-16, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Personally I see no need for the 24 hours, it should be a real life week if not more. There is absolutely no reason to retrain certs except for stupidity or a change in playstyle.

You can test EVERYTHING in VR training.
You can have alts.
You can see how it works with other people on the battle field.

If you can not make your intelligent decision with all that info, you should be stuck with it. Personally, I don't think you should even be able to retrain certs, but since you can, it shouldn't be 24 hours because as someone mentioned, you don't need alts because you can just take a DAY off and be something totally different the next day.

All in all, no seal of Kiwi approval.
Old 2003-02-16, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
CrazyMike
Sergeant

You can test EVERYTHING in VR training.
Well you can't test how a certain cert combination is going to work in the field. If you are experimenting or tweaking your certs waiting a week is a major pain in the ass. And using an Alt is not going to be usefull since any Alt wouldn't necessarily be at the same battle rank as your main and may not have all the options available to it.

The main benefit to the 24 hours that I see is that it alows you to plan. We're definately going to see outfits plan certain days where they get together for a "raid" and if you know ahead of time there is going to be a shortage of medics or galaxy pilots it allows you to prepare yourself and fill in the holes.

CrazyMike
Old 2003-02-16, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Well lets really think this out. You CAN test everything in VR, so you theoretically can figure out how something will work with something else.

If you buy something and go "Oh crap, this doesn't work at all", it goes against all your logic, testing, and talking to other people.

HOWEVER, if you remove this ability, are you "gimping" your character for that week?

Not at all, this game is made so it doesn't matter all that much. Having 24 hours gives you the "instant change" ability by taking a day off, which I simply think is silly.

The main benefit to the 24 hours that I see is that it alows you to plan. We're definately going to see outfits plan certain days where they get together for a "raid" and if you know ahead of time there is going to be a shortage of medics or galaxy pilots it allows you to prepare yourself and fill in the holes.
This is why I don't want this in game, you should not be able to do this. Your character should be unique, by being able to do a full change for a plan, it really defeats the whole purpose.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion