Sniper rifle trail - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: better then friends!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Re: Sniper rifle trail

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
There's always exceptions.
lol, no. Anyone who sat on a ridge in PS1 with a bolt driver was wasting a slot on the continent.

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-06-06, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Sure, you can stay in buildings the whole day if you dont want to risk to get killed once in a while by a sniper.

By that logic a sniper should stay in his own base to avoid aircrafts or counter snipers.

It's not that hard to avoid getting shot easily, just make correct decisions on where to walk and where not to walk. And actually try to use cover
That is easier said than done. You don't know where the sniper is before he kills you. You can stay in cover what you want. But you never know if a sniper is on the other side of that cover and kills you.

As I said, make sure they have tracer rounds and maybe some other things to have an indication where they are shooting from. They don't need to be nerfed into oblivion. But defiantly don't make it to easy to kill someone.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-06 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
That is easier said than done. You don't know where the sniper is before he kills you. You can stay in cover what you want. But you never know if a sniper is on the other side of that cover and kills you.

As I said, make sure they have tracer rounds and maybe some other things to have an indication where they are shooting from.
Obviously you are going to be killed once in a while, but you make it sound like you will be shot at every time you get out of cover, and i highly doubt that.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

A lot of the ones hating on snipers use BF3 and CoD as an example, saying that snipers ruined the gun play for them, and that they don't wat that for PS2. But if you tihnk about it.. maybe that is exactly what's needed so PS doesn't turn into effing BF3 and CoD... I can imagine you'd want to run around with dual SMGs, bunny hopping, corner diving and spraying to rack up K/D... that is exactly what I don't want for PS2... that if anything removes the tactical element of the game.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Unforgiven
Corporal

gamers, seem to hate snipers cause their ego cant handle it.

Tactical players LOVE snipers because they provide tons of information on enemy movement and they have the ability (if they are good) to single handedly shut down a corridor of movement, such as a vehicle pad, or doorway.

and lets not forget, it will be much easier to counter a sniper this time around, because he will not be in REXO with a rocket launcher, he will be an infiltrator with nothing but his rifle... more of a scout than a sniper. that is somthing i am very much looking forward to.

i will be there to SCOUT for my platoons advance and for my commanders to make better decisions. i will take the shot only when i will drop my target, and when my position is no longer vital as a scout.

The Enclave
The Arm of Decision in Battle
Old 2012-06-06, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Obviously you are going to be killed once in a while, but you make it sound like you will be shot at every time you get out of cover, and i highly doubt that.
I don't mind if a sniper kills me once in a while. But I don't want to try to attack a base, while there are 15 snipers all over ridges trying to kill us. If a sniper kills me, alright that's too bad. But I don't want to walk out of my spawn room and get killed immediately again. I will wait for beta and see how OP/not OP they are. I just got bad experiences with snipers in games and I would hate to see that here.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
lol, no. Anyone who sat on a ridge in PS1 with a bolt driver was wasting a slot on the continent.
You shoot 1 vanguard driver repairing his tank and you've saved your side a shed load of AV time and respawns....

Or you clear the walls of SA users and allow your troops into the CY...

If you seriously think snipers are useless you're an idiot.

Bad players are the waste of spots, not classes.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
CutterJohn
Colonel

Careful what you wish for. Getting rid of the tracer would of necessity require that sniping become a lot more difficult and/or less effective, especially at extreme range.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post

'nuff said..

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Careful what you wish for. Getting rid of the tracer would of necessity require that sniping become a lot more difficult and/or less effective, especially at extreme range.
And I wouldn't mind tbh.. I like it to be hard to play this game, as long as it's balanced.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-06 at 10:45 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Satexios View Post
I like being a sniper because it takes patience to find the right target and shoot them through the head. I also knew that once I killed a guy I GTFO and do it all over again at a new position.

In PS1 it took a few shots to drop and you need to use the lower right dot of the rectangle to hit.

But you are simply saying "Dueling tanks is not fun for anyone but the tankers" so remove the tanks..

Are snipers strong? Yes they are.. but they can also be taken out with ease. That is the trade.
"Dueling snipers" is a term to reference the over abundance of snipers in other titles. It Directly references the many games that devolve into mostly snipers on both sides shooting across the map at each other.

I like snipers in games, I do not like, nor think it makes for good game play when there are to many. Like i said, this is an area where would like Planetside to stay arcade-y.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I think snipers are allright in PS2, they're easy prey for aircrafts and tanks and anything under long ranges.

PS2 is not CoD where sniper has no natural enemies or BF where they can just camp and kill people on flags.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Lol woah! Wasn't expecting a mod to show up. But yes, I've thought a lot about the sacrifices a sniper would have to make, especially at extreme ranges. The thing I liked most about sniping in PS1 was that you had to both lead the target AND wait for your targeting reticule to go down. I've always wondered what would happen if a sniper would need to fully set up their shot, perhaps to a certain 'lazed' distance. I'm talking about a real sniper rifle, mind you, not a marksman rifle that can be used at mid ranges. Laze for a distance, then all the shots you fire until you laze again would be more or less accurate for that distance. But I don't actually know how sniping will be in PS2 since I didn't get a very good look at it, so if it's not like PS1, then I don't know what it would do, haha.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Graywolves
General

If you feel your position is lost then cloak and relocate.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
And I wouldn't mind tbh.. I like it to be hard to play this game, as long as it's balanced.
Yes you would. It would be a very big sacrifice. Currently the sniper has big damage and a huge range, at the expense of stealth. If you want the stealth back, you're going to take a huge hit to range or damage.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Ranged battles weren't hurt by snipers in PS1, they were hurt by MA rifles being so shitty at longer range, due to high TTK, noteworthy damage degradation, mediocre accuracy, warping, etc.

I'm fine with snipers having tracers or not, depending on what ends up being the most balanced. But what I'd really like to see is for rifles to be able to compete with snipers at all but the longest ranges, at which range snipers are going to have to work extra hard for their shots anyways.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion