Keep the 3 factions? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Awaiting approval. Oh wait...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-12-17, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Keep the 3 factions?

Why not let a character transfer from one faction to another?

But only once.
Old 2009-12-17, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tikuto
Major

Spy

Just thought of something awesomely cool.

There's the Infantry: Heavy, MAX, Infiltration, Support and all that. Where's the Spy?

A Spy would be able to temporarily change into enemy suits. A highly couragous espionage ability. How it works, I don't know, but it would allow for a player to play as another Empire while still remaining true to their own.
Old 2009-12-17, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Kumoblade
Corporal

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Why not let a character transfer from one faction to another?

But only once.

Which translated into Sony Speak reads the following.

Transfer your character from 1 faction to another for only $35.00

This can only occur once per 3 months.
Old 2009-12-17, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
ANaKeR
Private

Here's another idea and it ties in with events:

All players can transfer their characters over to another faction during a "Faction Swap" event.

Over a ~24 hour period, every player can swap factions as many times as they want until the event expires, at which point you are locked in that faction.
Old 2009-12-18, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sifer2
Major

But why allow them to transfer at all when all it will do is cause people to jump ship off the faction they perceive as being the most underpowered at the time. IMO as long as there are at least 3 servers for the game an you can make a different faction character on each there is no reason you should ever be able to swap your faction on a character.

I just think being stuck with your faction motivates people more an of course makes them rough it out if a patch nerfs something an they believe they suck now. Eventually a patch will buff them again an at least they wont have jumped ship leaving the faction in a bad way.
Old 2009-12-19, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kumoblade
Corporal

I want Sony to dedicate at least a solid month to Weapon/gameplay balancing in Open beta, and they had better freaking datamine the hell out of it.

I prefer 3 servers minimum, or if the game starts to fail and they have to close down some servers, consolodate, and just throw a 48 hour lock on the faction you're playing if you want to switch.

Underdogs just really need a reason to fight. If theres a reason to fight, theres a reason to play (and pay).
Old 2009-12-21, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ram
Private

i would like the 3 empires to remain tof new players, but for players/outfits to 'go rogue', to not be associated with any existing ones, to function as their own organization, capable of capturing bases, and everything you can normally do
Old 2009-12-21, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Creating your own factions would be cool, but I just worry it would lead to massive zergs and lack of diversity between different sides.
Old 2009-12-21, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ANaKeR
Private

Creating your own factions would not work very well in this game. What you would end up with is large Free-for-all battles where most players are your enemies and base captures would be rare because a single faction would not have the power to kick all of the others out.

Planetside is about fighting battles with hundreds of comrades at your side, fighting for a common cause.

Last edited by ANaKeR; 2009-12-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 2009-12-21, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by ANaKeR View Post
Creating your own factions would not work very well in this game. What you would end up with is large Free-for-all battles where most players are your enemies and base captures would be rare because a single faction would not have the power to kick all of the others out.

Planetside is about fighting battles with hundreds of comrades at your side, fighting for a common cause.

Yes either it would be like that or like the guy above says an one group would become an overpopulated Zerg an dominate everyone else. Like you say though Planetside works better when you create your character on a faction an fight with them an for them. Lots of little rogue factions all over the place doing their own thing would mess that up.
Old 2009-12-22, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Having the three set factions makes PS more or less balanced; at the least numbers wise on a larger scale.

In most MMOs combat is simply not balanced due to different character level or skill totals, while PS breaks the mould in that it has everyone equal, all the time. The only imbalance in PS are small scale weapon statistics, whereas even in player skill based MMOs (like Darkfall or the upcoming Mortal Online) you have to have the same character skill, armour/weapon quality, numbers AND player skill level to compete.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
off-topic:
Since PlanetSide2 is a whole new game yet the same as PlanetSide1, I wouldn't mind some new compelling factions. Story-based hard fiction that we can fully immerse ourselves into and understand why we're fighting a seemingly never-ending war. I feel PlanetSide 1 lacked this important immersion...
I think the old empires should probably stay due to the sheer amount of people who are already attached to their empire. Apart from that I agree with the rest entirely. More back-story and explanations as to who the empire are, where they've come from and where they're going and why would be a welcome addition to the sequel I think.

Personally I'd like to see more individualism among the empires. No more common vehicles like the skyguard or galaxy. Everything should be plastered with their empires traits...including bases and potentially sanctuaries. A base claimed by vanu should look vanu, and if it then gets captured by TR, it should slowly morph into a TR-looking entity afterwards.

As far as *how* the empires would be changed...the sky seems to be the limit. I think you'd need to make all the empires somewhat more technologically advanced to reflect the time passed since PS1. Other than that...

- I'd like to see the Vanu Sovereignty become a little more regal. Perhaps make the purple and turquoise a little paler and add some pearl/gold in there (pale gold, to differentiate it from NC yellow)...That should make them look more like a technological kingdom. Their tech's now using bright glowy gloopy liquid as energy.

- As far as the TR go, they seem to be the furthest behind technologically, so being the steampunk fan I am, I think I'd send them in that direction. Darken the red, keep the black and replace the grey with iron, bronze and copper. These guys are going down the steam-powered route. Prepare for pollution.

- That leaves the NC. I'm not exactly sure what we'd do with them...perhaps concentrate on the patriotism. Come up with something not entirely dissimilar to the imperial eagle from warhammer spacemarines/imperial guard and slam it on everything they have. They'd keep their blue and strong yellow and add black to their repertoire of colours (Why? NC's BR25 agile armour looks awesome, that's why). By process of elimination, these guys would be getting their energy from electricity/gauss/fusion - cleaner than TR but sparkier than VS.

Last edited by Vancha; 2010-04-12 at 12:02 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion