ISO: Proper hit/body part detection! plznthnx - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We got nukes, knives, sharp sticks...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-28, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Thumbs up ISO: Proper hit/body part detection! plznthnx

I dont know about you guys... but sniping someone in the FACE, yea, THE FACE. and them not dying really pissed me off... or how about shotgunning point blank to the head? I hope this is all addressed, and it would do wonders to encourage team work and proper strategy instead of the zerg fest (tank vs zerg was awesome though).

You guys think that specific body shots should be implemented?
Old 2011-01-28, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Barbapapa123
Private

Re: ISO: Proper hit/body part detection! plznthnx

shooting someone in an open vech or even in a cockpit(with windsheild) should work aswell.
Old 2011-01-28, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MgFalcon
Captain

Headshots are deff needed, I feel your frustration, I used to cert and uncert sniper all the time because I got so mad after hitting some dude in the head only to have the sniper next to me kill him lol!
Old 2011-01-28, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Headshots are needed I agree as well. I think the reason we did not see that type of combat model in the original PS is the technology wasn't there. It's hard to say if it will be there this time around either considering the scale of battle they plan to bring back.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-28, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Sniping skill was about being able to move the mouse carefully without bloom and hit a guy who was moving, factoring in strafing, lag, bullet travel time and how many people would spot you.

If you do add in headshots, do you really want to be instagibbed by snipers in Planetside? That'll play hell with the balance of the game, at least beforehand you had about 2 seconds to get into cover. Given that in the old battles there could be 10 or so snipers on either side, that's a lot of kills per second from sniping. It might be no fun.

Headshots could also cause major inbalance. Slow firing high damage weapons would be at even more of an advantage to low damage fast firing ones since more care can be made to get headshots.

Headshots aren't all that great anyway, if the models/hitboxes are even slightly dodgy (e.g. Bad Company 2, Call Of Duty) then they just become a source of annoyance when you shoot someone in the head, get no headshot. Shoot the next guy in the foot = headshot. On top of that in real life you aim for the centre of mass, not the head. If you are firing a 50 calibre sniper rifle it doesn't really matter where you hit them. And since they are fully armored all over the body then its best to hit them in the chest.

Maybe it could be implemented so that headshots only effect people without helmets :P
Old 2011-01-28, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tikuto
Major

The accumulation of this could mean increased lag, and thus "lag shots" making shooting people in hit-points a 100% gamble alongside client frame-drops, other warps and what-not. I vaguely remember something of this sort commented on in the forumside years ago. Since PlanetSide:2 will be much bigger-scaled battles (assuming this includes allowing more players into hotspot concentrations), there will be so much shit going on that you wouldn't really care about hit-point shots - just get on with shooting and winning like before.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-28 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Nice and simple: NO!
Headshots are clearly a no go for PSN. It puts veterans and skilled players way to much apart from new guys.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

The only capacity I could see headshots not being completely retarded is if they only work on people in their pajamas. While I love to snipe in TF2, nothing is more infuriating than the hitbox detection.

I also don't think infantry should have weapons that instagib others.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gogita
Master Sergeant

I am a big opposer of headshots in Planetside.
I was a cloaker for probably 30% of the time when I was still subbed (good memories..... ) and if it was possible for me to make headshots, I would have one awesome K/D ratio. (Also the reason why I oppose the suggestion of making instagib melee).
Sniping was imo pretty good in Planetside. I think if you would make the sniper more powerful (headshots, higher damage per shot, CoF reduction when moving), too many people will use snipers and as a result we'll have empty battlefields with everyone hiding behind a rock with a sniper.
No, leave sniping alone, it's good as it is now.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Krushiev
Private

Originally Posted by Gogita View Post
I am a big opposer of headshots in Planetside.
I was a cloaker for probably 30% of the time when I was still subbed (good memories..... ) and if it was possible for me to make headshots, I would have one awesome K/D ratio. (Also the reason why I oppose the suggestion of making instagib melee).
Sniping was imo pretty good in Planetside. I think if you would make the sniper more powerful (headshots, higher damage per shot, CoF reduction when moving), too many people will use snipers and as a result we'll have empty battlefields with everyone hiding behind a rock with a sniper.
No, leave sniping alone, it's good as it is now.
I'm with you just for that very reason.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I'm also opposed to headshots - the original reason, so I recall, was because it was already an MMO-FPS well ahead of its time and hitboxes would just lag it up even more. Now that they have the technology (I think), I have to go with the sentiment that everyone else is expressing - PS was great in that there were no personal-weapon one-shot-kills. At best, a pair of snipers working together or someone who knew how to Rexo-hotswap two bolt drivers, and that involved coordination and skill - respectable, in my opinion.

Having some BR1 noob able to insta-gib me with a Suppressor? Yeah fuck that. Sorry.

Plus, I recall at least six Official Forum arguments wherein some little asshole swore up and down that there were hitboxes, and we'd post the screenshot where a dev said "No there are not hitboxes, [insert reason]". That's just good fun.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
The accumulation of this could mean increased lag, and thus "lag shots" making shooting people in hit-points a 100% gamble alongside client frame-drops, other warps and what-not. I vaguely remember something of this sort commented on in the forumside years ago. Since PlanetSide:2 will be much bigger-scaled battles (assuming this includes allowing more players into hotspot concentrations), there will be so much shit going on that you wouldn't really care about hit-point shots - just get on with shooting and winning like before.
I don't see how it'll cause those things. I mean, we've come a long way from the equipment we handled PS on PLUS client side boxes. Pentium 4's and MP's back in 2003. Surely hitbox detection would no more affect than splash damage. I don't understand the logic and opposition to such a great feature to implement, and just imagine the intense feeling of having to actually be careful of what's exposed.

!!!! I just have a full on double rainbow orgasm, so intense.

Last edited by Infektion; 2011-01-28 at 02:23 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

If you don't understand the logic then there's no point in further discussion.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
If you don't understand the logic then there's no point in further discussion.
Reason is because there are no adverse effects... It just adds more depth to combat, if that's not what you want in the progress and evolution of this game, then PS is for you still... We're here to move forward, not nitpick. BIATCH!
Old 2011-01-28, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
Reason is because there are no adverse effects... It just adds more depth to combat, if that's not what you want in the progress and evolution of this game, then PS is for you still... We're here to move forward, not nitpick. BIATCH!
There are adverse effects, read my post above
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion