Doing a Video, properly. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Error: Your Bandwith Is Now All Gone
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-07, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Re: Doing a Video, properly.

I've got fraps and Adobe Master CS5 back at my dorm.

We could make something really cool.

I've edited this video not too long ago.
Old 2012-01-07, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I agree that we need to record a full video with multiple viewpoints all strung together into a single video, but it can't feel too scripted. Chaos is a huge part of the fun of Planetside. Showing off everything a player CAN do and the scale of combat through constantly expanding the scope of the battle would be best. It'll just overwhelm them if they see they can fight hundreds of players at once, that should be the big reveal after they see they can customize weapons, drive tanks and aircraft, etc.

It should flow well with a tune
Old 2012-01-07, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

What you would really need for something like that is some help from SOE. If the "camera man" can get shot and killed, it gets frustrating really fast. Therefore a "spectator mode" would be great, as not only would it render the just mentioned problem irrelevant, but it would also allow for camera shots from angles and positions that would normally not be possible.

So if you really want to do that, I'd suggest contacting Higby (when the time has come), as I'm sure they do have access to some kind of spectator mode.

PS: I hope the "Field of View" is adjustable this time around. In PS1 the angle was too limited in my opinion which also proved bad for filming.

Last edited by BlazingSun; 2012-01-07 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2012-01-07, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

You cant script war, and thats not the idea anyway. The point is, to make such a video, we need as many viewpoints as possible.
The easiest way would be a demo record feature build in the game. That would make recording piss easy for a whole lot of people, as its just putting a command in, and then play. After that, send it to whoever, and your part is done. That would also ensure that the final recording can be done in super high quality.
Hmm, gotta ask if a record feature is planned. HHIIIGGBYYYYY?

Korn, a cameraman would only be useful for a overview of the battle. Usually, most of the footage should be first person, with UI. You dont want to show a scripted version of combat, you want to show the life action happening, the decisions from individual players, and how they all affect each other. You dont want to see a air raid coming and bombing down stuff, you want to see the whole process of this air raid forming, going out, and bombing stuff.
Old 2012-01-07, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

That's the thing, I feel the game play video should be centrally focused on where people want to be when they're playing Planetside: directly in the fight, guns blazing. If we're assuming a typical video the length of the average song.

The raid formations would best be delivered during the bridge of a kick ass song, and it should be a montage of multiple raids forming and moving (tank columns, gal drops) with the engagement happening just as the song picks back up for that added impact when revealing the actual scale of combat as they realize this montage was showing simultaneous raid formations in the same moment of time. Selling the scale of the game needs to be done with impact. Like hearing "It's a TRAP!" and suddenly a bajillion Tie Fighters swarm the screen. As I said, go with the flow of the selected song. It has a huge impact on the presentation.

People want to play Planetside because of the engagement, not the forming up. That's something they'll imagine and do on their own easily when they start playing. After all, we did.

Last edited by EASyEightyEight; 2012-01-07 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2012-01-07, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
LongBow
Sergeant

100% behind you Basti ...

If only we had awesome community focused devs who might help run a beta event like this ... oh what a world!
Old 2012-01-07, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by LongBow View Post
100% behind you Basti ...

If only we had awesome community focused devs who might help run a beta event like this ... oh what a world!
I approach them once we got into beta. Im pretty sure they will aid in any way possible.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
You cant script war, and thats not the idea anyway. The point is, to make such a video, we need as many viewpoints as possible.
The easiest way would be a demo record feature build in the game. That would make recording piss easy for a whole lot of people, as its just putting a command in, and then play. After that, send it to whoever, and your part is done. That would also ensure that the final recording can be done in super high quality.
Hmm, gotta ask if a record feature is planned. HHIIIGGBYYYYY?

Korn, a cameraman would only be useful for a overview of the battle. Usually, most of the footage should be first person, with UI. You dont want to show a scripted version of combat, you want to show the life action happening, the decisions from individual players, and how they all affect each other. You dont want to see a air raid coming and bombing down stuff, you want to see the whole process of this air raid forming, going out, and bombing stuff.
i find some of these record features in MMO's very clunky when looking through the first person view since its not recording your sights at a decent tickrate, just whatever rate the packets are coming through at.

but if they can sort that out it would be a wicked feature to have.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-07, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

I believe there will be video released by people long before the beta ends, the way they are for hits etc these days means folks will upload beta content, so you will have to get in fast as the game will be all over the internet the day beta is opened. I personally wont upload anything from beta until I am given the go ahead, I just mean if you guys want to do something make sure it good and make sure its big

If you need any help from me just ask, you know where I am

Your also going to need full HD on every view to make it look good, and you will need everybody recording at that or as close to it, and your going to need somebody who can edit it all, and that means they will need a massive download so they can get all the footage together.

This could work, and also you will need your own sound track, and no I dont mean my shitty music I mean get somebody who can actually produce good music to do a tune for your video, something epic. And you guys are onto a winner here. The "it should flow well with this tune" comments should stop now, you might like that tune but alot will not, if you get something produced specifically for it, it will suit the video better, and not the viewers personal taste.

Good luck!

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-01-07 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
texico
Master Sergeant

^ Final Fantasy music is the quickest way to success

Anyway, aren't we under nondisclosure if we enter Beta (I actually seriously read the terms)? What I'm just saying is, make sure there's good communication and permission from the Higby and the devs before anybody starts streaming out video footage.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

The videos don't necessarily have to be gameplay videos to build hype. See the TF2 meet the team videos for a perfect example. I'm thinking something like this:

Sure it's not a game, but the style can be imported. Host running around conts/battles with camera man.
"We've got to be very quiet because right on the other side of this rock is a Vanguard, they're nasty buggers with a giant cannon and a taste for mayhem. Normally, we'd have a hard time getting away from this thing alive. But luckily I've radioed back to base and an airstrike will be here any mo-." *explosions followed by a cut to static*

Last edited by Captain1nsaneo; 2012-01-08 at 12:34 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
EVILoHOMER
Major

No developers or cheesy voice overs in the video!

SOE are really bad at this and it just makes the game look lame and people are turned off by it including myself. I'm sorry but most people don't care about the developers, just want to see the game and it doesn't help the games image.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/threa...meplay/1270615

Example.

I know this wasn't intended for the west but no more! You need professional voice over work like how Rock Star do it with their games and how it builds up so much hype just on them alone.
Old 2012-01-08, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

What people want to see is the game. They dont want to see some cinematic, or some overly voice acted and directed clip, they want to see the gameplay.
Yea, everyone found those TOR clips awesome, but what did they ask for? Gameplay. What do we ask for? Gameplay. Everyone wants gameplay.

And the best way to provide this is a simple "Lets Play". Thats the basic core of what im going to attempt. I just splice it up, to the level of Planetside (the level right above awesome). Instead of one guy talking about stuff, showing just a tiny part of the game, have a dozen or more guys, all around the same area, all doing their stuff.
Its not a promotion, its simply you watching some other guy play, bearing the question to yourself: Why the fuck are i watching these guys play, why dont i play mself? WHERE THE HELL DO I GET THIS GAME?

Worked well for quite a few games.
Old 2012-01-08, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
SKYeXile
Major General

Gotta agree, gameplay is what we want to see, show us the glory of forgelight in 1080p.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-08, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Gotta agree, gameplay is what we want to see, show us the glory of forgelight in 1080p.
Im stealing this for #auraxispoetryslam!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion