Update from T-Ray: "There is no Leader-class" - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Didn't I wear this shirt the day after yesterday?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-09, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Update from T-Ray: "There is no Leader-class"

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
This is actually good news. Since it means its more like the original game. I'm guessing you will still be giving up on leveling your main class's if you chose to train leader skills though.
Read in French accent: But off course.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-09, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
LongBow
Sergeant

mhmm what I understand of the class system so far is that you can gain perks & unlocks

an unlock you keep always like unlocking "extended mags on a deci" but that does not mean that when playing a class that cannot use a deci you can take advantage of it!

perks would be choices, where you have (4) perk slots and can pick and choose different utility abilities like implants but better incorporated into the skill tree. perks could do anything from buff your squad to making hacking 50% faster ...
Old 2012-01-09, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by LongBow View Post
mhmm what I understand of the class system so far is that you can gain perks & unlocks

an unlock you keep always like unlocking "extended mags on a deci" but that does not mean that when playing a class that cannot use a deci you can take advantage of it!

perks would be choices, where you have (4) perk slots and can pick and choose different utility abilities like implants but better incorporated into the skill tree. perks could do anything from buff your squad to making hacking 50% faster ...
is this a fact that there is perk or module slots for upgrades? Because im wondering exactly how the skilltrees would end up finally customising your gun/character/whatever.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-09, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
LongBow
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
is this a fact that there is perk or module slots for upgrades? Because im wondering exactly how the skilltrees would end up finally customising your gun/character/whatever.
This is just my understanding ... taking what we do know, some reading between the lines of things devs are careful to avoid and ofc a general understanding of game design XD

but yeh it stands to reason that if you unlock a "side grade" for the pulsar then you can use that unlock whenever you can equip a pulsar.

but if you unlock an upgrade such as " increase squad members damage within 50 yards" there would have to be some kind of trade off for that.

---------

This is not to suggest that the perk unlock system is the only way -

If you could make the UI user friendly enough, it is entirely possible to have each unlock have a corresponding 'down grade' for example "carry additional med kits at the cost of grenades"

you could allow as many or as few of these to be active as you like.

It would work but I don't think the team will go for it because: one, the UI becomes a cluster 'buck' of maths, min-maxing and cherry picking it massively slows the game and nothing says bad game design like assuming your players will read the forums!
Two, great multi-player design focuses not on balancing the game but making each player equally overpowered! nothing says mediocre like +10% health -15% shields =P
Old 2012-01-09, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by LongBow View Post
but if you unlock an upgrade such as " increase squad members damage within 50 yards" there would have to be some kind of trade off for that.
Wouldn't the trade off be that its useless if you're not leading a squad?
Old 2012-01-09, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
LongBow
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
Wouldn't the trade off be that its useless if you're not leading a squad?
kinda - the trade off is that you can't take an 'example' +movement speed perk in its place.

=======

the squad example is bad but its the only one we have seen elaborated on in any way

The perk "+ squad <anything>" would be by all accounts overpowered as it will add more than any other perk ... the drawback of this is that you have to be in a squad and it wouldn't stack - that balances it with other perks, but its still an upgrade.

Last edited by LongBow; 2012-01-09 at 05:37 AM.
Old 2012-01-09, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SteinB
Sergeant

Or to mesh with their whole sidegrade policy...
a squad leader skill increasing damage within 50m would decrease damage past 50m. Basically the squad leader is calling for close combat and anyone not doing that is penalized.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion