Gameplay: vehicle simulator - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: /me waves hello
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-08-02, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bloodcrazed
Private

vehicle simulator

My idea is based on the fact that in many games it takes a long time to get good at driving a particular vehicle, you crash and can't get any kills and in general let people down on your team until you get better.
For example in Battlefield 3 it took me along time to get good at flying a jet or helicopter, I crashed and accidentally killed my team mates multiply times before getting good.

In Planetside 2 I don't think that should have to happen. In a Q&A session the developers said that they want people not to just play in every vehicle, they want people to specialize in a particular vehicle and be very good at it, but people aren't going to get good at a particular vehicle unless the can practice. Outfits aren't going to want a Galaxy driver that crashes all the time because they're not experienced enough, but then that driver is not going to get more experienced without letting people down.

So why not make it much easier?
If planetside 2 had a single player vehicle simulator players wouldn't have to go through all of that, they can simply practice driving their particular vehicle until they get better, this would let players get to know the controls so they don't crash with 30 people in their Galaxy.

The simulator should just be a small area where the player can spawn a vehicle, learn the controls, then practice driving it. I think some sort of tutorial and tips could be useful as well.

I'd like to be a Galaxy driver in an outfit but I don't want to waste the resources of a faction, let other players down, and crash with lots of players in it hundreds of times.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gugabalog
Major

Re: vehicle simulator

Yea, a virtual sim style obstacle course for aircraft would be great. And somethign similar for ground vehicles as well.
Old 2012-08-02, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xenostalker
Corporal

This would already be in the game if they had Sanctuaries. I don't see it happening unless they turn it into some kind of lobby simulator where you join a private, empty world or something.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gugabalog
Major

^ This, Unfortunately, or unless it is included in the footholds.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lizard Lips
Private

No simulator does suck. But, it is not the end of the world. I am sure we will all figure em out in the first few weeks. Maybe they will have a tutorial feature that helps you learn the weapons and vehicles?
Old 2012-08-05, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Would be nice to have something to test fire weapons you know before you spend the cert points on them. Especially since you can't sell (forget) the back.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phisionary
Corporal

I'd like to have shooting ranges, combat training courses, closed-course driving tracks, and, at some point and place, a tank race. I don't care how or where, or even much when, but it needs to get done.
Old 2012-08-06, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kipper
Captain

Agreed but nothing too OTT needed. A shooting range, and an open area with a vehicle course, and an bombing area would be all I'd need.

It would potentially be a nice little extra if you could take a squad in there to do a couple of practice 'live fire' exercises - but probably not a good idea as we want pops on the continents, not in their own instances.
Old 2012-08-18, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bloodcrazed
Private

the developers said the game will be COMPLETELY multiplayer with no singleplayer mode, but they, if they've already thought of this, could have some sort of training ground in one of the hexes for each faction which could have tutorials on different vehicles and weapons (I actually think this would work better than my original idea).

hopefully they've already thought of this, it was the first thing i thought of when they said they wanted people to have a specialty in a particular vehicle rather than being an all rounder.
Old 2012-08-19, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Anabuki
Private

Just leave it up to the players to make their own obstacle courses and firing ranges out of natural landmarks, or when it arrives, their own built structures
Old 2012-08-26, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

wow some of you guys are new to the franchise. They had this in PS1. It was Virtual Reality center you could fire every weapon, drive all vehicles and fly all aircraft. But, there was a problem. People weren't coming out to the battle field. They stood around in a place called sanctuary chatting, trolling, whatever etc.. It made game play slow paced. Now I've not played beta, but at the warpgate you can take a vehicle out for a test drive without fear of being attacked provided your faction has the resources. This only going to be a concern in the beginning because the majority of us will be like wtf does this button do? ..lol doh! Anyhow...

Check this link http://planetside.station.sony.com/howto/ You'll see everything every body damn near wants in the whole idea vault. Its actually funny seeing all the repetitive requests.

It tells you how closely they listen to the community for sure. Though...it makes you wonder why they didn't listen for starwars galaxy. Man I miss that game prior to the changes.

cya all in-game

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-08-26 at 05:03 AM.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Phisionary
Corporal

All those things I asked for earlier... I still think they would be cool.

But, if they don't get in, well....

It'll be fine.
Old 2012-09-05, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

This is a beta, I really wouldn't be surprised if the full game released with a tutorial on how everything important works... I actually strongly encourage something like that to happen and this wouldn't be amiss.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault