can someone explain the render distance issue? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait wait, don't use that last quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-02, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
moosepoop
Captain

can someone explain the render distance issue?

does anyone know why rendering distance lowers performance? is it because of amount of models rendered?

cant the devs just lower the polygon count/texture detail as the models become farther away?
Old 2013-02-02, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: can someone explain the render distance issue?

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
does anyone know why rendering distance lowers performance? is it because of amount of models rendered?

cant the devs just lower the polygon count as the models become farther away?
As I understand the issue (thanks to all the coding people who answered), game seems to be graphically rendering players (and apparently all entities) through objects, even if you don't see them.

As for rendering distance - it's obvious that the further you look, the more you see, the more your machine has to process. If there wasn't a problem mentioned above, even 6000 render distance would affect your FPS a single bit, unless you are in an aircraft flying over a desert.

As for low polygons - the game has way too many zoom and FoV varieties and you have to adapt LOD to evey single one of them if you don't want your game to look like utter crap. But anyway they do have LOD in the game, if you step even 10 meters away from a guy with a faceplated helmet his helmet will change to default one.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-02-02 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2013-02-02, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BossRigs
Private

Yes. I know everything there is to know about this issue.
Old 2013-02-02, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
As for low polygons - the game has way too many zoom and FoV varieties and you have to adapt LOD to evey single one of them if you don't want your game to look like utter crap. But anyway they do have LOD in the game, if you step even 10 meters away from a guy with a faceplated helmet his helmet will change to default one.

thanks for the answer. i hope the engine will allow changes to not render outside of line of sight.

even though it will look like crap, i really think they need to further tone down the player detail over distance/in large groups. i think polygons need to be able to lower to ps1 levels if need be.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion