Splash Damage and other new info - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All Vangaurds have a 1 star saftey rating!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-26, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Splash Damage and other new info

Author Topic: Splash Damage and other item
IronDuke666
Station Member
Registered: Sep 2002 posted 11-25-2002 03:01 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, there are wpns designed for anti-armor and anti-personal. If you have these 3 soldiers walking next to a Tank and i hit the same side of the tank with a bazooka, i could stand the chance of killing at least one of those soldiers, right? Or will it by like BoKR and rockets fly right through you? Like if you fire a rocket down a hall and it goes between two people at detonates against a wall right behind them, they will get damaged/hurt, right? Sorry if this has been asked but i didn't see it anywhere here.

******* DEV REPLY ****************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-25-2002 06:00 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. We definitely have splash damage. And cover will affect the damage you take from such an explosion. In otherwords, if you're crouched so that only about half of you is exposed over the top of a barricade, and a grenade goes off on the other side of the barricade, you're probably only going to take about 50% of the damage.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000324.html
Old 2002-11-26, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Decapitation
badstar2k2
Station Member
Registered: Nov 2002 posted 11-23-2002 07:40 PM user search report post
I mean are you going to charge a room making a successful grenade throw before you run in and see a leg here and a arm over in the corner ?

*** DEV REPLY ***

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-25-2002 06:03 PM user search report post
There's no gore in Planetside, for the simple fact that we can sell the game in more places if we don't put it in.
However, there's lots of damage feedback in other ways, so rest assured that combat will look great.

Regarding the Karma engine...that's funny. Did you know that the UT2K3 guys found out about Karma from going to E3 one year and seeing Planetside's vehicles? They thought our stuff looked good enough that they went and bought a Karma license themselves...and then beat us to market. Doh. Serves us right for opening our yaps at a tradeshow.

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-25-2002 06:48 PM user search report post
Typically, once we make a decision like "no blood", we work hard to ensure that the hit effects are good enough that you won't miss what we don't have. In this case, we're still working on hit effects, but they're coming along nicely.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000287.html
Old 2002-11-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Topic: Will language be totally dominated as in T2?
derekbradley
Station Member
Registered: Nov 2002 posted 11-24-2002 03:57 AM user search report post
I know it sounds stupid, but I'm sure that a few thousand years in the future, people will still cuss when they get frustrated or make a mistake! I understand they are trying to go for a teen rating, but cant they have an age input option so that anyone underage cant see cuss words? Kind of how AOL filters child internet access! The over enforcement of "cleanliness" is what drove SO many people away from T2!
Also, why did they nearly take away almost every RPG type element from the game? Some people say "because they are wanting fast gameplay". In other words, no long battles. That was part of the reason I was slightly excited about this. Now it seems like nothing more than a much larger version of tribes! I'm still going to try and get on the open beta, and I'll even probably get a short subscription to it to try it out, but with every letter from the editor, I'm loosing the things I was excited about, 1 by 1. To be honest with you, this is my last try at a Dave Georgeson game.

Anyways, hopefully this game can still make a profound impact! IF not, who knows. Maybe EA will make a Battlefield 1942 MMOG!

************* DEV REPLY **********************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-25-2002 05:58 PM user search report post
The swearing filter defaults to "on", but is toggleable on a per-account basis.
Other things, like aggressive racism, or scam artists, will be dealt with by CSRs and not tolerated.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000296.html
Old 2002-11-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Why people post questions here instead of the question forum.
Vatakin
Station Member
Registered: Oct 2001 posted 11-25-2002 09:31 PM user search report post
Out of the 965 posts.... Devs have responded to 2 of them.
Now I don't wanna bust the Devs chops but, it's probably why people post questions here instead of where they belong. They know they have a better shot at it being answered here.

Agree/disagree?

**** DEV FUN RPLY *********

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-26-2002 07:29 AM user search report post
I'll admit...I don't understand why we have "Question" and "Discussion" forums as separate entities. I mean...doesn't one lead to the other?

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000331.html
Old 2002-11-26, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Click within
SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-26-2002 01:11 PM user search report post
http://www.terranrepublic.com/
http://www.newconglomerate.com/
http://www.vanusovereignty.com/

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-26-2002 01:13 PM user search report post
Expect some facelifts over the next couple of days. Enjoy!

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000339.html
Old 2002-11-26, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Go vote at CGW
BlackbirdPS
Station Admin
Registered: Nov 2000 posted 11-26-2002 04:29 PM user search report post
It's shameless, but heck ... go vote:
CGW Quick Poll -- Most Anticipated Game

Danny

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000349.html
Old 2002-11-26, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Why fight?
Bongfarmer
Station Member
Registered: Nov 2002 posted 11-26-2002 03:57 PM user search report post
If soldiers can never die because they will be 'rebirthed' why even bother shooting them? seems like a waste of bullets. Thats not asmart way to approach a war, trying to destroy a infinite resource
And isn't it hypocritical for the new colgomate to attack and threaten the Vanu because of thier 'evil manipulation of genetics' and 'immoral illgotten technologies', while at the same time continually using rebirthing technology? Preaching freedom and liberty while oppresing someone elses opinion and way of life

and dont the terran seem like jerks?

"the Terran Republic and suppresses news of the wormhole's collapse. Scientists are sworn to silence under threat of death.

27 Years A.W.
News of the closure of the wormhole leaks. At first considered rumor, the news is slow to spread. Scientists are detained and tortured for confessions until they are finally executed by the Terran Republic"

"The Terran Republic accuses us of enslaving others, yet its citizens are forced into menial labor under its Obligatory Public Service program and are monitored constantly"

Go vanu!

**** Dev REPLY ****

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-26-2002 04:17 PM user search report post
In regards to TR "jerkiness"...keep in mind that the snivelling Vanu elitists are whining about the facts from their incredibly biased viewpoint.
The Mother Empire shall reign supreme. We've lasted over a millenium, we'll last several more at the least. We will not succumb to a gaggle of scientists and rebels that refuse their own humanity.

Not that I'm a card-carrying goggle wearer or anything.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000348.html
Old 2002-11-26, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Tch. If he had really wanted an answer for the former, he should have asked it alone. Devs are Politicians when it comes to public relations regarding their games.
Old 2002-11-27, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: How long will characters be saved for?
CalvertP
Station Member
Registered: Nov 2002 posted 11-27-2002 03:37 AM user search report post
Just curious how long a character will be saved for if you stop your subscription for a few months??

****** REPLY *****

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-27-2002 07:09 AM user search report post
Like most MMOs, we'll have the policy that we don't normally delete characters (so that they're there if you reactivate your account), but we reserve the right to clear our hard drives and databases of non-used, deactivated characters if we need the space.
So, in otherwords, if you cancel your account, your characters are no longer guaranteed to be there...but they usually are anyway because we know it rocks to reactivate your account and have availability on your characters.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000355.html
Old 2002-11-27, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: A plea to the devs
Deurges
Station Member
Registered: Feb 2001 posted 11-27-2002 04:02 AM user search report post
I usually spend my days in the Dark Age of Camelot and the one thing I'm gettig very sick and tired of are the constant "nerfs" and changes in the game mechanics and the classes in general.
Now, obviously, Planetside won't have classes in the same way as a "level-up" mmo game, but the balance between the Emires will lie in the weaponry and the vehicles.

My plea is this: Get it right the first time

I would hate to see one empire becoming too powerfull simply because of its weaponry and its vehicle garage. It would lead to the constant "balancing" that we're witnessing in DAoC.

*** DEV REPLY ***
SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-27-2002 07:07 AM user search report post
<chuckles at Bonniedundee's sarcasm>
Seriously though, Deurges...that's the goal. Achieving it has yet to be done on an MMO...but that's the goal.

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-27-2002 09:44 AM user search report post
We'll let you pay the extra month of burn costs, Deurges.
Just kidding, of course...but please realize that there are ALWAYS other factors than simply a desire to polish when deciding when ship dates occur. And they're not always in the control of a dev team (although this time around, the company we're dealing with, SOE, is pretty savvy about the impact of bugs on customers...so there's hope).

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000356.html
Old 2002-11-27, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Planetside Engine?
Rypht
Station Member
Registered: Jan 1999 posted 11-27-2002 07:43 AM user search report post
Once Planetside gets finished up, it would seem the engine used would be highly adaptable to a number of future games I'm sure many of us have wished existed. Personally I'm already hoping and praying the SOE takes what they learned here and go make a mmofps/fs(flight sim) for the robotech universe
ok so this probably shoulda gone in the general chat, but the general chat people scare me.

**** DEV REPLY ****

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-27-2002 09:55 AM user search report post
Actually, our engine is entirely home-brewed and is not licensed by anyone for any game except Planetside.
That doesn't mean, of course, that WE won't use it for something else in the future, but right now, it's just for Planetside.
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000361.html
Old 2002-11-27, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Notice the characters?
RocketFodder
Station Member

posted 11-27-2002 10:59 AM user search report post
Check out the new TR webpage www.terranrepublic.com
Look at the faces in that header graphic.. anyone think that these look a helluva lot more detailed and "gritty" realism than the faces we've seen in the older screenshots? They're so far more detailed and wonderful looking I hope they're not some photoshopped CG heads for the webpage.. dig up some older screenies and look at the constipated squintiness of the old faces, and tell me you aren't hoping they look like this new set.

The TR heads look much better than heads even in BF1942 and other games out now.. they just have a "weight" to them, unlike the cartoonish charicatures UT2k3 has. I remember Dave said something about them re-doing all the faces, and if this is the final product, I can't wait to see more :O

*** DEV RPLY ***
SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 11-27-2002 11:43 AM user search report post
Yup. The faces look a LOT better now. Credit to the artists. They keep going back and repolishing stuff and it's looking better and better all the time

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000363.html
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion