The Striker - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We must remember Devs are people too!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-21, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Re: The Striker

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
So would you consider this broken, I mean if you lock and fire and I pop flares shouldnt it break all rockets not just the first one. I mean if this is to be the norm I want one of those for christmas.

@GreyFog: I watched the video, I do agree they should fix the bug, I mean the weapon is just a beast. I bet the guy who wrote the code for this weapon is a TR fan.
Yes its broken. Tooltip for flares says something like "prevents all lock-ons for 5 seconds" ALL lockons.

I like the idea of the Striker, its unique and has a good TR flavour. I think if they fix the bugs (flares/terrain/etc), make the lock-on active so you need to track your target in the reticle and reduce the dmg to 400 per rocket it would still be a great weapon.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
See its crap like this that really annoys me.

Phoenix - 750dmg per rocket.
Striker - 500dmg per rocket.

A full clip of striker out guns all other lock-on launchers by a long way, its the highest dmg launcher. You only need to land 2 shots to out dmg both the Phoenix and the Lancer.

Has second fastest lock-on. And you don't even have aim at your target.
If you actually manage to land all 5 rockets on the target the striker is grate. However that happens very seldom, only total noobs cant avoid it.

Most of the time you get in 1 or 2 then the rest are dodged behind a rock or for some other reason does not hit the target.

However while you shoot your 5 shots you're a more or less free exp for any sniper with a bolt action rifle as the RPM is very low. And no the strafing ability while shooting is close to 0. I have ended up with a bullet in my head from a sniper countless times while using the striker. Also It's not that hard for the target to just shot you either if he knows how to aim and see where you are while you wait for the lock down. If you compare the striker to the Annihilator that does 1700 damage per shot the annihilator is a safer bet. You don't have to put your self at risk that mush as you can dodge behind a rock or something when you reloading.

BTW remember that the striker only locks on the vehicles. Where the phoenix can be used on infantry as well.

But you're right on paper the Striker looks really good. However on the battlefield it's an other story because players behave totally different then the target dummies in the VR room.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Rofl, no it doesn't. Both VS / NC players really hate the striker cos of reasons mentioned above, Phungus hit the nail on the head. Having projectiles that don't render, go through scenery to hit you, that hit you even when you release flares, that hit you as soon as the `lock on ` appears and more...

They're the most annoying thing in the game right now and the average PS player will get the most out of the striker cos it's AV AND AA for beginners, probably explains why there's so many of them.
I wish my Striker did all that. But my rockets never goes through terrain and every time some one pops a flair after I popped of 5 rockers all miss.

PS: To those retards that wonder... yes I can notice if a rocket hits or not as I get a little indication on the screen for every rocket that hits and the lack of exp gives it away too.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-05-21 at 05:24 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
If you actually manage to land all 5 rockets on the target the striker is grate. However that happens very seldom, only total noobs cant avoid it.

Most of the time you get in 1 or 2 then the rest are dodged behind a rock or for some other reason does not hit the target.

However while you shoot your 5 shots you're a more or less free exp for any sniper with a bolt action rifle as the RPM is very low. And no the strafing ability while shooting is close to 0. I have ended up with a bullet in my head from a sniper countless times while using the striker. Also It's not that hard for the target to just shot you either if he knows how to aim and see where you are while you wait for the lock down. If you compare the striker to the Annihilator that does 1700 damage per shot the annihilator is a safer bet. You don't have to put your self at risk that mush as you can dodge behind a rock or something when you reloading.

BTW remember that the striker only locks on the vehicles. Where the phoenix can be used on infantry as well.

But you're right on paper the Striker looks really good. However on the battlefield it's an other story because players behave totally different then the target dummies in the VR room.
You just listed downsides for all lock-on launchers. Being a sitting duck is just something you have to deal with.

Striker has 92RPM ROF, thats all 5 rounds in 3.3 seconds. Hardly slow.

The Annihilator does 1200dmg, doesn't fly the same way as Strikers and takes longer to lock. Almost no one on Briggs uses the Annihilator, its far from a safer bet. Striker is just about the only lock-on launcher TR use on Briggs.

The argument "My striker never bugs, therefore it must never bug." is asinine in the extreme. I'm not sure what your point is with this.
Old 2013-05-21, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Galron
Staff Sergeant

Other faction specific rocket launchers 1 hit all ESF's. Quit complaining.
Old 2013-05-21, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
exohkay
Private

Lancer needs 2.5 full charges to kill an esf

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-05-22, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sunrock
Major

The argument "My striker never bugs, therefore it must never bug." is asinine in the extreme. I'm not sure what your point is with this.
If the striker is bugged it bugs for every one. If the striker behaves in non intended ways there are other things that are buged that make it behave that way or hacks are used. However I find it most hilarious that my Striker have never buged out. So either people use hacks or you're all delusional IMO.

You just listed downsides for all lock-on launchers. Being a sitting duck is just something you have to deal with.
Yes. And lock on sucks when trying to shoot down anything that is not an air craft.

Striker has 92RPM ROF, thats all 5 rounds in 3.3 seconds. Hardly slow.

The Annihilator does 1200dmg, doesn't fly the same way as Strikers and takes longer to lock. Almost no one on Briggs uses the Annihilator, its far from a safer bet. Striker is just about the only lock-on launcher TR use on Briggs.
Well the 5 shots feels for ever and 3.3 sec is a long time for the sniper to aim at your head. But yea your right about the annihilator damage, I remembered wrong.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-05-22 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by SolLeks View Post
they have been broken since GU8. that and the fact lock ons will fly through mountains to hit their targets.

the ani got nerfed for a reason, and this is better than a pre-nerf ani.
I've started really noticing this the last week or so. I've been getting hits and kills where the rocks clearly should have taken the missile.

When this is fixed it does beg the question as to just how effective the Striker is going to be against ground targets on most of the continents. Hossin seems like it's going to be a continent with a lot of cover and Esamir is probably the continent where the Striker is capable of being used to its fullest ability.
In areas with a lot of cover it mostly becomes an AA weapon, but with the dome shields coming back it won't really be useful for that either (When inside a base with a shield).

Personally I would prefer for SOE to revamp the Striker into a non-lock-on weapon. For example:
Make it a rapid firing dumbfire rocket launcher with a nifty secondary ability like a swarm attack that can be guided to the target.
Or.
Make it more or less function as it does now but have it be a guided lock-on weapon, like the raven.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-28 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

If they redesign it that way, please without splash damage. Fractures are already annoying enough.
Old 2013-05-25, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
If they redesign it that way, please without splash damage. Fractures are already annoying enough.
Fine by me. Supposed to be a AV weapon anyway.
Well the Fracture only deals 25 indirect damage, or are you referring to the screen shake I've been hearing about?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-25, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
MGP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
The main issue isnt somuch the firepower itself its the firepower combined with lock on speed. I dont realy get why it lock son to aircraft to begin with. It has almost no downsides.

Even the lack of dumbfire is barely a problem due to the lock on speed. It should probably have that increased to be even longer than the Anihilaotr OR make it so you have to maintain lock longer to fire more missiles. Say 1.5 second per missile

For instance you could quickly lock on and fire one misslile then pop back into cover or expose yourself for longer to get the full firepoower. This would give the victims an actual chance to avoid the darn thing.
That awkward moment, when you realize what the thing you're suggesting is already implemented in game.

Old 2013-05-25, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
MGP
Sergeant

Reading how many people here actually think what "no terrain clip" is a feature of Striker and not just a bug make me wonder, are you people really THAT retarded or just trolling?

Oh, and by the way, all lockon rockets clip through terrain from time to time, even A2AM.

Old 2013-05-25, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

For good players the striker is far and away the best weapon. If you have patience and the skill to get your self in good positions and wait for the right time its superior damage potential makes it great.

If you suck then ya your better of with one of the easy to use weapons. You have a much lower potential but a better chance of doing modest damage.
Old 2013-05-25, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Technologist
Private

Originally Posted by BobAndAway View Post
I'm not making a post about how the striker is a game breaking weapon and all that.
Just curious about ways to counter it on the battlefield.
Ever since it was introduced, i stopped almost completely fighting the TR and only engaged with the NC.
Most of the time i'm in a tank or a scythe and if i happen to meet a TR heavy, i immediately turn tail and barely escape with my life.

So...tactics thread i guess.
I play NC with a BR in the 80's and also have a few 50's BR TR accounts.

When I'm NC and flying a Reaver I find Heavy's with Strikers easy kills and I rarely even have flares on my ESF. 200M radar, fly very low, 3rd level racing airframe and use terrain so they don't have the 4-5 seconds to lock on. Usually 200meters out I spot them, afterburner in and kill them before they can even fire the first shot. Knowing exactly where to rocket pod them is key. Without Radar you might need a second run to pinpoint their position.

If they did get and lock and I'm forced to retreat and fix I do it behind any cover I can find. The 200M radar also allows you to repair in infantry safe areas. After the repair you simply pick another attack route and race in for the kill. Or pick the same route but hugging the ground or carving around a few small obstacles breaking their lock attempts. I've done this 100's if not 1000's of times now and killing striker heavies is easy and low risk with enough practice.

Fighting strikers with a tank I use smoke screen and advance by using the smallest obstacles to block lock. Rocks, buildings and dips in terrain prevent locks or cancel them out. If you need to advance a few hundred meters you simply look ahead and pre pick the 5-10 safe lock blocking spots and hop from safe spot to safe spot.

You might want to watch this video by IronFistLMS and note how he looks for and rushes into hordes of infantry including many heavies with rocket launchers just to get mass kills. If you understand the limitations of strikers you can kill them off with ease. If you just run off and never return you'll think they are OP when they aren't.

Last edited by Technologist; 2013-05-25 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Am I the only one who notices that flares only drop the first striker shot, the other 4 all hit.
This.

If a striker has you locked be prepared for all or 4 rockets to hit no matter what you do, if there are two strikers prepare to die.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion