Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It'll give ya the jitters
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc.)
Yes I would like to see global server(s). (24/7 Peak times?) 56 31.28%
No I prefer the original Planetside Format. (US West, US East, EU) 87 48.60%
Both should be included to give people choice. 36 20.11%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Praetor
Corporal

Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)

Is it feasible? Broadband has come a long way since 2003.. Possibly something to try in Beta?

I don’t know much about the subject, other than I know I would prefer it! (Not at the cost of game performance, though)

Imagine having a server at “peak” time 24/7?
Old 2012-06-10, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)

One thing I've always had in the back of my head is a single shard server where each regional server is a diffrent "Planet" with it's own continents, that way each Server region might in some way affect the success of the others
Old 2012-06-10, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

As far as I know you can join any server if you want to. That was decided after the whole Pro7 thing a while back. At this point the only thing the server location tells you is how high your ping is likely to be.

Also, I have a good internet connection and I can still get some ridiculous ping if I were to play in, say, Belgium or something. So I don't know if it's a good idea. Wouldn't be opposed, but I'd stick to my US-East (or US if no east coast).
Old 2012-06-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Praetor
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
As far as I know you can join any server if you want to. That was decided after the whole Pro7 thing a while back. At this point the only thing the server location tells you is how high your ping is likely to be.

Also, I have a good internet connection and I can still get some ridiculous ping if I were to play in, say, Belgium or something. So I don't know if it's a good idea. Wouldn't be opposed, but I'd stick to my US-East (or US if no east coast).
I think this is definitely a valid point & I agree with you. - But I do think if servers were advertised as “Global” (rather than US East etc), then you would get a much wider range of players from across the globe inclined to join it.

As a European I had a stint on Emerald (With no lag issues by the way..) because I wanted to join a certain Outfit, but I did feel as a complete outsider on the server.. Mainly because of the lack of people online during the times I used to play.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Talented Maori
Corporal

2000 player maps...., it would be silly to region lock without the ability to join a more popular server which would allow for grouping of people from all over the world (Otherwise I would be playing a 64km map with 4 other peoplefrom my country!!). I find this to be an enjoyable aspect of online gaming.

Include both methods I say.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I don't know if lag wasn't the issue I honestly wouldn't care.

Global server would ensure that there action all the time with no gaps however that could mean the largest battles would be smaller if server capacity reaches maximum.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

As long as people are willing to put up with possible lag, I see no problem with this.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Talented Maori
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
As long as people are willing to put up with possible lag, I see no problem with this.
Well, living in New Zealand I will probably be affected by Lag no matter the server. Played MAG for 2 1/2 years with Lag so I should feel right at home
Old 2012-06-10, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
HEISTT
Corporal

Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
I think this is definitely a valid point & I agree with you. - But I do think if servers were advertised as “Global” (rather than US East etc), then you would get a much wider range of players from across the globe inclined to join it.
In that case it would only be a discussion about the names they give to the different servers..? I think because ProSiebenSat will handle the EU shop with 'Pro7 Cash" as opposed to Station Cash, it probably has to be apparant from the server selection screen which server you will be joining (and thus which currency will be used)?

Either way, I was kinda shocked when I found out 2 days ago that SOE has outsourced the European portion of the game. It left me worried that we would end up with differences in content, patch times, shop item pricing etc. I'd ofc prefer 10 servers all on a platform between US and EU in the Atlantic Ocean where we all would be able to get decent pings, but that's not really a plausible solution . And I think the decision about servers has already been made.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

100% No.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Fenrys
Major

I thought it was interesting to study the different play styles that emerged as players of different nationalities became the majority.

Especially stark was the contrast between American/EU players and Chinese players. During the day, Planetside was a game of mostly-English-speaking cliques and squads going after independent objectives, where people would whine and bitch at you for jumping into a passenger seat of their transport vehicle. Around 3AM EST, it was a single rolling ball of mostly-Chinese-speaking players all working together, spamming We Need A Gunner at the pads until someone randomly jumped in.

If you are going solo, waiting on your outfit to log on maybe, it's more fun to play PS1 with the Chinese. I'd like it if I could do so again in PS2.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-06-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
I thought it was interesting to study the different play styles that emerged as players of different nationalities became the majority.

Especially stark was the contrast between American/EU players and Chinese players. During the day, Planetside was a game of mostly-English-speaking cliques and squads going after independent objectives, where people would whine and bitch at you for jumping into a passenger seat of their transport vehicle. Around 3AM EST, it was a single rolling ball of mostly-Chinese-speaking players all working together, spamming We Need A Gunner at the pads until someone randomly jumped in.

If you are going solo, waiting on your outfit to log on maybe, it's more fun to play PS1 with the Chinese. I'd like it if I could do so again in PS2.

lol not on their servers you wont....... maybe if they are allowed to join your server. you wont be able to play on theirs unless you live in china, provide a ss number,dob, pob, credit card, so on so forth. this wont work for this very reason.... laws are different in other countries. you want to play with the chinese???? well the chinese and the 9 dont want to play with you. they have all these verification requirements because if you hack on their servers they prosecute... it is illegal to hack in china, and other countries. should be illegal in the states but its not.... yet..... this is why this wont work.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

With only 6000 people being able to play on a server they are prolly going to have a lot of servers. And if they can kind of spread out those servers so you can get one in your area that would help a lot. High ping rate sucks.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Resolve
Corporal

Free to play games = having to deal with brazilians. Terrible ping and HUEUHEHUE GIBE MONEY I REPOT U. No thanks.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-10, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd prefer enforced region-specific. There's a certain part of the world I'd rather not play with due to it's gaming culture and hacking tendencies.

Although ultimately I'd prefer a single server, like EVE. If that isn't happening then I like region-specific servers.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion