Can't decide on a monitor - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is whats dangerous.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-08-22, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Can't decide on a monitor

I've been looking at all sorts of monitors for a while now and I can't seem to decide on one.

The main issue is that I can't decide on whether I want a 24" or a 27". I've always had a 27" monitor in mind long before I got serious about a new computer, but didn't do any research into it at the time.

Is a 27" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 worth it, or will you notice the image becoming less sharp and smooth in certain scenarios? If 2560x1600 is sort of required for a 27" than I can just stop looking into them. I was looking at something like that Asus VE278Q if I were to go with a 27".

The 24" I had in mind is the Dell UltraSharp 2412M which in all honesty seems perfect in all departments, short of the response time which would've been better at 5ms or lower but not a deal breaker since my current monitor is 8ms as well and I've never noticed any lag/ghosting/tearing. One thing is that it's got a resolution of 1920x1200, would this cause any issues for gaming or watching movies?

Price range is € 300,- and the use would be for gaming, watching movies, PhotoShop work and some video editing.

The logical side in me says the UltraSharp is a better buy, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd regret not getting a 27" especially because I'd be watching a lot of movies/shows on it, even though a 24" would be a huge upgrade from my current 4:3 19".

Hoping someone here has any experience with either monitor or can talk some sense into me if I'm leaning towards a wrong decision.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Can't decide on a monitor

24 v 27 is all about how far away from the screen you are.

I've got a 24 and a fairly shallow desk and I find it hard to imagine that going larger would be much better unless it bumped the resolution up too.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

My desk has a depth of 75 cm, and I'm sitting at 63 cm from my current monitor (not when watching movies). I guess that's relatively close?

What's the ideal distance?

Last edited by MasterCalaelen; 2012-08-22 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2012-08-22, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have no idea what's ideal.
My monitor is a max of about 60cm away from my face. (it's actually a 23.1inch)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-23, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Anyone else have any input on the matter?
Old 2012-08-23, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

What monitor are you moving up from?
Old 2012-08-23, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

An Acer 19AL16.
Old 2012-08-23, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

I'd go with a 24", then. You'd still be getting a big jump in real estate and resolution.

As far as getting the U2412M, you'll end up with bigger black bars above/below videos and games might stop supporting 1920x1200 sooner than 1900x1080, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Edit: Are 2560x1440 27" monitors out of your price-range?

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-08-23 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2012-08-24, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

It'll indeed be a big jump in size and resolution either way, though I am used to a 27" as well as that's what I have at work.

Regarding the 1920x1200 resolution for movies/games, wouldn't setting the resolution to 1920x1080 solve this, or isn't it that simple?

I was planning on spending around €300,- on a monitor, and the cheapest 2560x1600 27" I've seen are around €600 so unfortunately that's too much. Otherwise the choice would've been easy.
Old 2012-08-24, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vancha
Colonel

It's not that simple. LCD monitors have an intended resolution, so while 1900x1080 might work, it'd either be stretched vertically (and slightly horizontally), or you might just end up with the black lines somewhere else.
Old 2012-08-24, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterCalaelen View Post
Regarding the 1920x1200 resolution for movies/games, wouldn't setting the resolution to 1920x1080 solve this, or isn't it that simple?
That'll screw up the aspect ratio. I'd try to stick with something that's 16:9 or deal with black bars on video like you would with an older 1680x1050.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-08-24 at 10:28 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum