PSU: Warning! Do not point it directly at your eyes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-08-21, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
KALU
Master Sergeant

Ips vs 120hz......

Guys this is it i need to make a call on what screen to get.

It will be a 27inch _ _ _ _ _

Just need to decide on a IPS or a 120hz

Mostly will be gaming and mostly will be Planetside2.

HELP ME!

P.S how the hell do i make this a POLL?
Hamma can you assist pls i did not see the check box?

Last edited by KALU; 2012-08-21 at 06:25 PM.
Old 2012-08-21, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Ips vs 120hz......

Off to the tech forum with thee!

What GPU/s do you have?
Old 2012-08-21, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
KALU
Master Sergeant

Ahhh sorry yes should be in tech section...

I have a GTX580 and i am willing to get another if need be and run SLI
Old 2012-08-21, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

1900x1080 + GTX 580 = IPS
1900x1080 + 2x GTX 580 = IPS/120hz
2560x1440 = IPS

With just one 580 at 1900x1080 or even 580 SLI at 2560x1440, I don't see 120hz being worth it. There is, in my opinion, too many games that need the settings turned down to get the benefit of 120hz.

With 580 SLI at 1900x1080 however, it's down to your preference. Personally I'm biased towards suggesting IPS. 120hz seems to be one of those things that once you get used to, you can't live without...Where 60 FPS once seemed smooth, if you have need to go back to it from 90-120 FPS (say, for a particularly demanding game), it will supposedly feel jerky...And then you have the benefits of IPS, which apply universally (just make sure you get one without ghosting, if you get one).

That said, I'm admittedly biased. Hopefully someone with a 120hz monitor can post here and balance that out somewhat.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-08-21 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2012-08-21, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SirWhiteshadow
Private

I have the Asus VG278H. Its 27 inches, 120 hz, and I love it.

I game in 3d whenever possible, and with my i5 2500k and dual GTX 560 Ti's, I pull max frames on highest settings in everything I've tried so far (Skryim being the best experience I've had).

If you aren't planning on playing in 3d, there are still many advantages to using a 120hz monitor. The refresh rate is particularly appreciated and used by pro shooters as it allows for smoother gameplay, etc.

As the above poster said, I'm sure it's one of those things you can't immediately tell a difference with, however after using it for awhile, you'll notice immediately if you drop back to 60fps.

If you are planning to play in 3d, 120hz is a must have. Only with 120hz monitor can you pull a max 60 fps in 3d (60fps x 60fps side by side = 120fps).

I did a ton of research before settling on the Asus VG278H. I almost bought the new BenQ 120hz, but they only go up to 24 inches, and I decided the extra size was important to me. Although I believe Samsung had a higher rated model available, it was also a bit more expensive, and it did not support consoles as well. Overall, I've loved this Asus and would highly recommend it.

Hope this helps. I remember how difficult it was for me to make a choice.
Old 2012-08-21, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
KALU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SirWhiteshadow View Post
I have the Asus VG278H. Its 27 inches, 120 hz, and I love it.

I game in 3d whenever possible, and with my i5 2500k and dual GTX 560 Ti's, I pull max frames on highest settings in everything I've tried so far (Skryim being the best experience I've had).

If you aren't planning on playing in 3d, there are still many advantages to using a 120hz monitor. The refresh rate is particularly appreciated and used by pro shooters as it allows for smoother gameplay, etc.

As the above poster said, I'm sure it's one of those things you can't immediately tell a difference with, however after using it for awhile, you'll notice immediately if you drop back to 60fps.

If you are planning to play in 3d, 120hz is a must have. Only with 120hz monitor can you pull a max 60 fps in 3d (60fps x 60fps side by side = 120fps).

I did a ton of research before settling on the Asus VG278H. I almost bought the new BenQ 120hz, but they only go up to 24 inches, and I decided the extra size was important to me. Although I believe Samsung had a higher rated model available, it was also a bit more expensive, and it did not support consoles as well. Overall, I've loved this Asus and would highly recommend it.

Hope this helps. I remember how difficult it was for me to make a choice.

Thanks for the response everyone keep them coming I need to make a call today as DELL are having a sale in Australia at the moment.

Funny you mention the ASUS i was considering that exact model if i go 120hz....

My only concern is im going down in rez to a 1080P from my standard 1920x1200 and feel it might get blurry in comparison to the crisp IPS screens.

Im loosing hair over this decision....
Old 2012-08-21, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pancake
Sergeant

As long as the monitor is good, you should be fine. ASUS is an awesome brand.
Old 2012-08-22, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
KALU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
As long as the monitor is good, you should be fine. ASUS is an awesome brand.
Yep the choice at the moment is

THE ASUS VG278H - 120hz

OR

DELL U2711 IPS

Old 2012-08-22, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by SirWhiteshadow View Post
A 120hz owner admitting you can't immediately tell the difference until you realize 60fps has been ruined for you.

Seriously though, if you mainly play FPS and web browse on your PC, get 120hz. If you watch a lot of videos too, or do something visually creative, get IPS.
Old 2012-08-22, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
FreedomShot
Private

I researched thus for months, the Dell or the Asus. I too worried about how HD res would look on a 27 inch.

I bought the Asus and the 3D blew me away, I did not by it for the 3D either. But i had a nagging feeling that 2560 x 1440 was needed to truely look good. Eve looked a tiny bit blocky but FPS games looked amazing, still I was not 100 percent happy. Then I went on the Nvidia control pannel andsaw the custom resolution option. For a laugh thinking it wouldnever work i put 2560 x 1440 and the screen went blank.

Then it came back and everything was very small, very crisp and absolutely amazing. THE ASUS RUNS 2560 X1440 AS WELL!!

Obviously the Dell will be a bit cleaner at thehigh res but you dont have screen coating with the Asus or the terrible input lag.

Go for the Asus 120hz 3d without a hesitation. Now you play FPS at 120 hz looking great in HD and you can play more graphically spectaculargames like Eve Online in 2560 x 1440.
Old 2012-08-22, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
KALU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by FreedomShot View Post
I researched thus for months, the Dell or the Asus. I too worried about how HD res would look on a 27 inch.

I bought the Asus and the 3D blew me away, I did not by it for the 3D either. But i had a nagging feeling that 2560 x 1440 was needed to truely look good. Eve looked a tiny bit blocky but FPS games looked amazing, still I was not 100 percent happy. Then I went on the Nvidia control pannel andsaw the custom resolution option. For a laugh thinking it wouldnever work i put 2560 x 1440 and the screen went blank.

Then it came back and everything was very small, very crisp and absolutely amazing. THE ASUS RUNS 2560 X1440 AS WELL!!

Obviously the Dell will be a bit cleaner at thehigh res but you dont have screen coating with the Asus or the terrible input lag.

Go for the Asus 120hz 3d without a hesitation. Now you play FPS at 120 hz looking great in HD and you can play more graphically spectaculargames like Eve Online in 2560 x 1440.
wow hang on a sec are you sure the ASUS can do this? this makes no sense as its advertised as a 1080P screen?

Now your confusing me.......
Old 2012-08-22, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vancha
Colonel

Yeah, I can't find anything else that suggests it can run at 2560x1440...Not sure what's up with that.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum