PS2 Gaming Rig - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If at first you don't succeed... you're a noob.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-01-23, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
inigma
Sergeant

Re: PS2 Gaming Rig

prices updated. $20 net drop overall.
Old 2012-01-26, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
inigma
Sergeant

I finally moved in my new rig and setup the production studio. Now I'm ready for Planetside 2.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-01-26 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2012-02-07, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
inigma
Sergeant

Updated prices. Big drop on monitor $30! and case. Updated FPS. The rig runs very cool now as my NZXT fans all came in (just send NZXT a contact email via their site, and if you include proof of purchase you can get any filter/fan/screw/part for the case you have for free since it's under warranty). Except my young boy decided to show daddy how he could lift one of my new fans by its wires... "look daddy I can pick it up!"... using wire cutters.
Old 2012-02-07, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Given that the 7950 is out now you probably should at least include that in the pricing option. It offers at least if not better performance then a GTX 580 3GB for a $100 less.
Old 2012-02-07, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
inigma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Given that the 7950 is out now you probably should at least include that in the pricing option. It offers at least if not better performance then a GTX 580 3GB for a $100 less.
Not sure I can recommend it yet though even $100 cheaper, as it isn't native PhysX and Planetside 2 is being developed with PhysX in mind. Also driver support for AMD hasn't been the best historically, and personally I have a bad taste concerning that. The point of the PS2 Gaming Rig is to be fully optimized for PS2 and that means NVIDIA cards for now. Thanks for the suggestion though! It certainly would be a cheaper alternative, but at the cost of losing (I think) superior optimization that NVIDIA will bring to the PS2 experience.
Old 2012-02-07, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by inigmatus View Post
Not sure I can recommend it yet though even $100 cheaper, as it isn't native PhysX and Planetside 2 is being developed with PhysX in mind. Also driver support for AMD hasn't been the best historically, and personally I have a bad taste concerning that. The point of the PS2 Gaming Rig is to be fully optimized for PS2 and that means NVIDIA cards for now. Thanks for the suggestion though! It certainly would be a cheaper alternative, but at the cost of losing (I think) superior optimization that NVIDIA will bring to the PS2 experience.
We still do not know how truly much PhysX is going to be playing into this game. I have seen a few possible predictions, but it could just be mediocre and not worth the $100 premium.

AMD driver support for single cards is nearly flawless from my experience. On the other hand I will say their Crossfire support does have many issues from when I had 5770 Crossfire. My biggest issue was getting support for when new games come out.

I still think it is worth putting it in there. If the Nvidia cards prove to be that much better the user can either sell the AMD card for the next gen Kepler, or just pick up a cheap Nvidia card (GT 430) for PhysX processing.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-02-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
inigma
Sergeant

We still do not know how truly much PhysX is going to be playing into this game. I have seen a few possible predictions, but it could just be mediocre and not worth the $100 premium.

AMD driver support for single cards is nearly flawless from my experience. On the other hand I will say their Crossfire support does have many issues from when I had 5770 Crossfire. My biggest issue was getting support for when new games come out.

I still think it is worth putting it in there. If the Nvidia cards prove to be that much better the user can either sell the AMD card for the next gen Kepler, or just pick up a cheap Nvidia card (GT 430) for PhysX processing.
I'll post a note in the OP.
Old 2012-02-07, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Thanks.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
kaosk
Private

just ordered a rig just for planetside2,hope i did well,wish i would of found this thread earlier
i5 [email protected] proc
hd7970 gpu
p8z68 v -lx mb
8 gigs hyper x memory
hyper x memory cooler
h 80 cooling as intake cpu cooler
corsair 750w bronze psu
zonar 5.1 sound card
HAF X Blue /w extra 200mm fan at top
tt esports challenger ultimate keyboard
g9x mouse
scarab mouse pad
z506 logitech speakers
samsung 27" p2770fh monitor

it came out to be 2750 from IRONSIDE Computers in vegas,i know its too late to change anything but what do you guys think ?will the 7970 be ok without the physx stuff ?
Old 2012-02-26, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vancha
Colonel

tt esports challenger

The memory cooler was probably a waste of money too, but they're the only things that immediately pop out at me.
Old 2012-02-26, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
kaosk
Private

thx brother,the mem cooler was just for looks really and was like 20 bucks,this system is gonna be a big upgrade from my current pc with a ati 800xt which i played planetside for 7 years with.
Old 2012-02-26, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by kaosk View Post
thx brother,the mem cooler was just for looks really and was like 20 bucks,this system is gonna be a big upgrade from my current pc with a ati 800xt which i played planetside for 7 years with.
Dear god .
Old 2012-02-27, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Fenrys
Major

what do you guys think?
I'm jelly. That system will be wicked fast.

The H80's fan should probably be set to exhaust, otherwise all the heat from the CPU will be blown back inside the case. The rear and top fans should be exhaust, and the H80's radiator will probably be mounted in the rear (heh).

I used to have a HAF 912. It got dusty pretty quick. The HAF X does not have as many non-filtered openings, but the big fans on the side and front should probably be set to intake and that will suck in some dust.

I don't see any disks in your parts list.
Old 2012-02-27, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

or just pick up a cheap Nvidia card (GT 430) for PhysX processing.
Don't the official (read : always up to date) drivers put PhysX into software mode if they detect a non-Nvidia card in the system?

Is this a pre-overclocked 2500K or what?

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-02-27 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
kaosk
Private

the i5 i had overclocked at ironside,i have a 1tb hdd,dvd rw and a blu ray/dvd writer.I had originally had the h80 set up for exhaust,they tested it and with it as intake it dropped my cpu temps by 6 degrees,so i went with what they recremended since i added that extra 200mm fan at top for exhaust,it gets pretty warm here in the summer but in the tests they did this set up gave the best temps,as far as dust i ordered the magnetic haf x dust filters for the case and bought a datavac to blow it out once a week or so,now all i need is to hit the jackpot and get in on the beta =) DARK SKYES MOBBING !!!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum