Server Names - Back with the Old! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The debil made me do it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the old server names return?
Yes! I want to play in my old server! 98 48.51%
No, I think new server names fit better with a new Planetside. 31 15.35%
Doesn't matter/This really doesn't effect me much 73 36.14%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-31, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Jownzorz
Corporal

Re: Server Names - Back with the Old!

If you didn't play on Johari/Konreid, you're not a vet. TRUE STORY.
Old 2012-05-31, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

I honestly don't care. I love the old Markov server, but it's the game i love, and the people i play it with, not the name of the server i play it on. Hell, i went all nuts posting the thread in the main planetside forums June 24, 2003 about all the base names...

http://ps.warriornation.net/index_files/image162.jpg

... but even i don't care that much. To the people who feel a loyalty to their faction, their outfit, and now even their server... i respect your opinion on the matter, i just have zero amount of care what the server names are.

kp
Old 2012-07-12, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
sunzen
Private

Someone did a name research back then... ^^

Beta is round the corner and I was just thinking about servers, names and such, then this thread popped up. I'm not a PS1 vet so cant say anything about its server names, however, I remember playing Dark age of camelot in its early days on a server called Avalon. Good times. I like that name in general. Its not a biggie just a name in the end but still I place a request for a server called Avalon in the EU realm
(there's a chance a dev reads this and during the naming process Avalon might spring to mind again ^^)
Old 2012-07-12, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
infected
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
VS, and your Gauss won't do much against my MAX.
challenge accepted.

does your MAX come with some sort of extra armor faceplate? didn't think so. but sounds like a possible request for a new cert.
Old 2012-07-13, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Konried... if only.

Kicking myself, to this day, for renaming and getting rid of the -K.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-07-13, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
HEISTT
Corporal

Can't believe I actually read all the posts in this elitism thread .
All jokes aside, seeing as the Planetside community was (and is) a tight-knit one, I think it would be fair if there was some way for the vets to hook up with people that played on their server back in the day.

I am against using the same server names (because the new servers will probably not have that many vets). However, maybe you vets can hook up with each other on subsections of this forum (or the official PS/PS2 forum) which are named after the o-so-famous server names from back then. Maybe there already exists such sub-forums, then you can disregard this post entirely.
Old 2012-07-13, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Oh yeah, the nostalgia...

But taking off the nostalgic glasses, I think leaving out the old server names is for the better. I don't really want all the old PS1 faces sitting on their select few servers, creating just their own little community of grumpy old men (and thinking they do things so much better than those new guys on the other, "new" servers).
Also, "Werner" was never a nice name.

On that note, I'm not too fond of all the oldies getting together on the same server (old name or not) either. There are a few Wernerite groups I'd like to play with and against again, but not all of them certainly.

Let go of the old, embrace the new.
Old 2012-07-13, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Policenaut
Sergeant

I don't see how it could hurt, honestly. New players are unaffected, and old players get that tingly nostalgia feeling.
Old 2012-07-13, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
Oh yeah, the nostalgia...

But taking off the nostalgic glasses, I think leaving out the old server names is for the better. I don't really want all the old PS1 faces sitting on their select few servers, creating just their own little community of grumpy old men (and thinking they do things so much better than those new guys on the other, "new" servers).
Also, "Werner" was never a nice name.

On that note, I'm not too fond of all the oldies getting together on the same server (old name or not) either. There are a few Wernerite groups I'd like to play with and against again, but not all of them certainly.

Let go of the old, embrace the new.
I dunno Rook, as an old Wernerite I'd welcome seeing a bunch of old faces. Primarily because I'm an old git now, and a Werner server would draw a lot of old faces whom I'd feel more at home with. And not because I know every Werner player personally, but because I know they are likely to be of a 'certain' maturity. I have this fear that if I join some random server that VOIP will be smothered with teen and pre-teen F2Players that will get on my nerves and I won't identify with.

Not that I have anything against teenagers, I was one myself, I hope they have as much juvenile fun as I did when I was that age, I just don't need to relive it at this stage.

So I guess the point I'm making is if I'm on a renewed Werner server there's a higher likelihood that I'll find old gits like myself and vice versa.

I do understand your fears about PS Veteran elitism and condescension but that will be resolved pretty fast I reckon, when it's apparent that this is a whole new game, in fact I reckon BF3/BC2 clans will feel right at home and embarrass a few veteran outfits pretty swiftly, hopefully that will kill any of that pointless veteran posturing pretty quick.

I reckon the most relevant experience veteran outfits can bring is showing the way with regard to managing very very large groups of FPS players in big exercises and events.
Old 2012-07-13, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Canaris
Contributor
General

unlike a rose a server by any other name...... doth not sound as sweet

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-19, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I'd like the old names back just so my outfit would be to agree on which server to play. There's also fair bit of nostalgia involved and being able to play with all the friends and foes you've made from the old server. It's nice to have heads to herd all the vets too as well. Everyone seems to really fear all the old "bitter" vets from the first game...Why not give them their own server and steer clear of them if you're so afraid of their elitism?

That probably came off really elitist...Oh well.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-20, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Emerald is everything!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-20, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Old server names would be a huge mistake. Last thing PS2 needs is the "good server" nonsense where all the "good" outfits go. Every mmo has this problem and in every MMO the result is the same. The server gets slammed, has horrific queues, and most of the "good" outfits move to other servers because they dont want to sit in 3 hour queues every day. SWTOR has been one of the few to foresee this (though cool-named servers in beta were plagued by it), and for the most part avoid the problem.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

It'd be cool to play back on Emerald however I don't really see it being relevant.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion