Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you're asking, "Will my comp run PS", then NO, the answer is NO.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Re: Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases.

EVIl PIG that is just awesome, I love it!!
Old 2012-04-03, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

oh hell yes! I love this idea!
Old 2012-04-03, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Or the enemy could destroy it.
That's also a reason why you ought to be able to bring more Lodestars to set up, because they can be destroyed. They are symbiotic balancing factors - each can only spawn a few, and so each that the enemy destroys reduces your capacity, but you can set up more to hedge your bets.

Something like this could really add logistical strategy to the game. Getting enough people to set up a base like this.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Definite fan of mobile bases here...
I was personally thinking of forming a base-deploying division of the 666th

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-04-03, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea it was one of the cool things you could do in PS1 with a load/ams and aegis generators...i would ahve hopped it comeback in PS2, along with deployable engineer defences like walls to further fortify an area.

or even deploy a bunker or base to further had to the sandbox nature of the game.

I remember saying this all before :/

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Pretty cool! This is along the lines of how we want to see deploy-able vehicles and overall logistics work for sure.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stardouser
Colonel

Another thought, not because I want to copy Project Reality but simply to put it out there, is that in that game forward bases are built by soldiers, instead of plopped down and deployed. There's a certain construction time and then they are there.

World War 2 Online also has built forward bases though I don't know how they are built.

The key is, is the distance between the last friendly base and the nearest enemy base enough to justify that?
Old 2012-04-03, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

You know.. if the Sunderer/Deliverer could become a sort of "wall section" for gunners/guns to hold a position.. i'd be up for that.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I do like this idea, though I wonder if the lack of big open expanses that were found in PS1 would make this unnecessary. Assuming that every inch of the map is capturable, the distances between spawn and supply points might be a lot smaller in PS2, and thus a "forward base" might not be quite as vital to making progress into enemy territory.
Old 2012-04-03, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Cool idea...dynamic balancing/abuse could be a problem, but noting that couldn't be dealt with I think.

I love the idea of bringing more depth to the gameplay by introducing all sorts of logistical options that you have control over vs a cookie-cutter mobile spawn.

Introducing options for construction (and time for the integration of components) in a way adds a small element of RTS as a supporting dimension to the overall FPS. You could have whole engineer cert-trees associated with this, and I have a feeling that (in one form or another) this is where the Devs want to take the game down the road.

I have a feeling the Devs want to to eke out more support-oriented rolls for people to complement the twitchers on the front end, in order to appeal to a broader scope of gamers while not messing with what makes Planetside Planetside, so if that's the case, I would be watching (and hoping) for something like this. Good stuff!
Old 2012-04-03, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
noxious
Second Lieutenant

To some extent, this already sounds possible. We know that engineers will be able to add defensive measures to supplement the Galaxy's natural defenses. Meanwhile, Sunderers provide remote repair to vehicles, while Galaxies do not. So it will already be ideal to employ both engineers and Sunderers in conjunction with Galaxies to bolster the defenses and usefulness of a forward operating base centered on a deployed Galaxy.

I'm all for taking it further though. I definitely like to see gameplay mechanics that require players to think and work together.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
To some extent, this already sounds possible. We know that engineers will be able to add defensive measures to supplement the Galaxy's natural defenses. Meanwhile, Sunderers provide remote repair to vehicles, while Galaxies do not. So it will already be ideal to employ both engineers and Sunderers in conjunction with Galaxies to bolster the defenses and usefulness of a forward operating base centered on a deployed Galaxy.

I'm all for taking it further though. I definitely like to see gameplay mechanics that require players to think and work together.
That's the point, taking it further. Add the Lodestar for vehicle spawn and rely on the engineers to deploy defenses, or use vehicles and infantry. We don't need a fold-out base in the Galaxy. Make the Gal just one component.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-03, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Boogere
Private

I don't think the sunderer should be a mobile spawn point it makes me think people won't even use it as a transport and just use it to crash through enemy lines and start spawning people at the breach. However I do think the sunderer should be able to be certed as a command vehicle, perhaps with less armor in certain key areas (the front, undercarriage and maybe even one side), as well as giving forward commanders better data when conducting missions behind enemy lines.

On the subject of mobile vehicle spawns, I'm against it if it's anything other than the lighting and the flash, forward bases shouldn't be fully equipped bases unto themselves but I do think there should be a vehicle that's expensive resource wise and can carry the heavier vehicles into battle.

Last edited by Boogere; 2012-04-03 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Boogere View Post
I don't think the sunderer should be a mobile spawn point it makes me think people won't even use it as a transport and just use it to crash through enemy lines and start spawning people at the breach. However I do think the sunderer should be able to be certed as a command vehicle, perhaps with less armor in certain key areas (the front, undercarriage and maybe even one side), as well as giving forward commanders better data when conducting missions behind enemy lines.

On the subject of mobile vehicle spawns, I'm against it if it's anything other than the lighting and the flash forward bases shouldn't be fully equipped bases unto themselves but I do think there should be a vehicle that's expensive resource wise and can carry the heavier vehicles into battle.
The Sundy is not a spawn, it has a resupply terminal. In my idea, it is the Command vehicle.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-03, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Boogere
Private

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The Sundy is not a spawn, it has a resupply terminal. In my idea, it is the Command vehicle.
Ah, ok I must've forgotten that as I was reading through the thread ><
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion