Are we looking the same game? Because what I'm looking at looks amazing. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why You Little!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-01, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Are we looking the same game? Because what I'm looking at looks amazing.

We have been privy to some pretty early content releases and after each and every one, some of you guys complain about the most mundane stuff.

I ask you, are we looking at the same game? Because the game I'm looking at looks fucking ridiculous. Planetside was the best game ever made and a lot of the guys who worked on it are working on Planetside 2. Its not like they didn't learn from the first one. They're taking the things that didn't work, weren't marketable, we're redundant or obsolete and making them better.

Aircraft and flight physics
Then when I get bored of that I can just go hop into my pimped out Scythe sitting 1km up spamming fire n forget missiles (certed) whilst spinning around on all 3 axis popping flares/chaff and firing rainbow lazors (customised) like some spiky disco ball of doom.
Personally I found this to be hysterical. The sad part is the poster is being sarcastic but is seriously complaining. While I do share some concerns about letting good VS pilots like AC (armehnian corps) have an aircraft that can pitch 90 degrees without losing lift, I am STOKED to fly in this game.

I was a pretty avid pilot and flying in PS1 was like flying a hockey puck. As one of the orginal devs said, it was like literally moving a camera around in Z-space with WASD. Now there are flight physics, flares, free look and customized huds for starters. We're not even talking about the certification and skills that will allow you to tweak your aircraft to be different in terms of turning radius, weapon loadouts and more.

TTK
I'm used to kill streaks in BF/COD because you CAN kill more than 2 players at a time. In Planetside, I would often put a lot of time and effort into ONE kill and just before I got the kill, someone would steal (chizow) the kill. Going up against 3 Rexos was an impossible task. There was no way, no matter how good you were that you were going to get those three kills unless maybe you caught them coming up the tower stairs and you plasma spammed them and used HA to finish them off.

While I am admittedly a bit concerned that the TTK is a bit too fast in PS2 I am looking forward to being able to lay down the same ownage in PS2 that I am able to do in the more modern shooters like BF and COD.

I wont have to overclock my FSB (speed hacking) or camp the spawn tubes (Godjoey) to actually have a chance to be somewhere on the leaderboards.

Flight Ceiling
...OMG really. You're complaining about the newly increased +600m flight ceiling? I think it is amazing. From what I saw in TBs video with higby you could probably safely fly above even the most annoying VS max AA without warning.

Boundries.
While I admit that it was nice to plot a course to the objective out in the ocean to avoid enemy AA and useless engagements otw to the objective, I don't see a real loss in not having useless ocean to travel over. See the increased flight ceiling above.

Sanctuary VS footholds
At first this set me back too, I liked rallying at sanctuary to bring in the large invasion, but when you think about how this caused network logistic problems you can easily see why it was removed.

In the old PS if you got kicked off a continent, your next spawn could only be at an AMS you were bound to or Sanctuary. So while you were regrouping at sanctuary the continent was getting pop locked. You and your buddies were stuck in the warpgate trying to get back in. With the new PS, you can never be denied the continent you want to fight on.

Lets see, what else are you all bitching about....

Concept Art vs. Model

really? next.

Inventory
Really? you want to run around with your inventory open and swap out that 2nd decimator when your first one ran out of shells it was disposable and your inventory didn't see it as ammo. All while a max is chasing you around the generator. I'll pass.

Third person
Corner camping? No thanks.

Prone
I can see an argument for this, especially since it is more necessary in a modernized FPS with grenade launchers and snipers. Prone isn't for camping its for ducking spam and headshots.

Basically the only way we're going to see how all this plays out is to play the game in Beta. Then can make your case.

So far, when I look at the gameplay footage I am floored. My jaw is on the floor. Personally I can't wait.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Kush
Captain

Re: Are we looking the same game? Because what I'm looking at looks amazing.

I agree the game looks beyond amazing from what I can tell.

EDIT: Except you are wrong about prone. Prone has no spot in PS.

Last edited by The Kush; 2012-06-01 at 04:43 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Razicator
First Sergeant

TLDR: Don't complain or criticize anything because it's better than a decade old game...
Old 2012-06-01, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

lol

The game looks great. And it's FREE
Old 2012-06-01, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ichebu
Private

Thank God I'm not the only one who feels this way. Upboat for Kurtz.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
The sad part is the poster is being sarcastic but is seriously complaining.
Yes because you can be fully certed in Scythe and be fully certed in everything else, you know, the whole point of that thread. I too can take excerpts from posts and use them out of context to make a point.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vancha
Colonel

Of course people are going to concentrate on the things they want changed when given the opportunity to share their thoughts while the game's still being developed.

I doubt most people would be arguing for changes if they thought the game looked bad as a whole. They moan because they love.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I agree with you 100% basically everything about this game has me so stoked!

But what is the point of this thread it's just going to cause another flaming argument war when all the people you just called out show up. And it's not like this thread is meant to discuss anything specific worth talking about it's unnecessary.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Raymac
Brigadier General

I also think there is alot of nitpicking and nostalgia that is being paraded as "game breaking". However, although I may disagree with alot of it, I think it's good that it is being discussed. The more of a gauntlet that occures during the development, the better the final product is likely to be. I don't mean to say that we the fans are always right, but ideas that go unchallenged will have risky results.

Old 2012-06-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Razicator
First Sergeant

Man the OP just wants a huge circlejerk. What a waste of space. "I'm complaining about complainers, does anybody else agree?"

If this continues, I'll start another thread complaining about complainers complaining about complainers.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MgFalcon
Captain

Sir, you put my thoughts and feelings into words /win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2012-06-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
aceshigh
Private

Misc Info

So we're the Armenian Corps now?
Old 2012-06-01, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dartan
Corporal

The problem with most of the game looking amazing is that it puts low quality stuff like bad turret rotation animations in stark contrast thus making it more obvious and nagging.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

It's because it looks amazing that people are so vocal about minor things. If it looked like crap we'd all have moved on by now.

I did like how you went on to list some of this complaining with comments of your own like "Well yeah I'm concerned about this too" or "I can understand why there's some disagreement over this". I feel like I've missed the point of this thread

Anyway, like I've said plenty of times the game looks great, and the fact that people are complaining about relatively minor things is a testament to that. We just want our kid to grow up big and strong
Old 2012-06-01, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

I'll bite, does no one recall how horrendously OP aircav actually was, even with such huge limitations?

Now they're 3-4 times faster, have full freedom of movement, customised loadouts and have even greater immunity to AA via an extra 600 metres of clear air between them and those lowly ground pounders, not to mention counter-measures to AA!

Airchavs didn't like Ceryshen/Searhus crater because AA was actually effective and deadly. I suppose they also found it boring having to constantly fly off to an air tower and be back at the target with full health 30 seconds later after each spamming run.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion