Since we start off Monday with a Character Wipe... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: DOOOOODIE!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-14, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vash
Staff Sergeant

Since we start off Monday with a Character Wipe...

What are you folks going to pick for your first certs?

I might grab my trusty AMS right away, but I admit I'd feel pretty helpless without my Gauss, Sweeper and of course my trusty Phoenix.

Also, I've only been in beta for 2 weeks, so I have no idea how fast the first few levels really go, so if you more experienced testers can clue me in I'd sure appreciate it hehe
(btw, I still dont have access to the beta site, so if this is common knowledge over there... go easy :o )

And of course for those not in beta yet, what do you plan on taking first now that the NDA's gone and you have full access to cert costs and such?

We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, but we are sometimes driven to become the devil himself.
Old 2003-04-14, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jimbo
Master Sergeant

Well, I wish I could help with the access to the beta site but to be honest, I don't think you're missing much. The forums are mainly a joke and all the other information can be found here. I made an effort to read the forums over there and I just can't stand them for some reason. Much, much nicer over here.

I anticipate getting my CDs today so I think the first thing I am going to try is a straight up infantry character, probably with the TR. No flying for me for a while, no desire to try.

I've said it before, just give me a gun and a place to fight and I'm a happy player.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vash
Staff Sergeant

What's wrong with em, are they just set up really poorly? Or is it just flooded with flamers and whiners?

Speaking of whining, I'd like to once again point out that the mini-chaingun is insane

Oh well, I hope you get your package Jimbo, and I dont blame you for not wanting to take to the skies... not with maniacs like me on the ground. Poor Reavers...

We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, but we are sometimes driven to become the devil himself.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

You're definately not missing much. Mostly the beta forum is made up of a bunch of "why is the server down?! fix it now!" Or in ten minute increments "10am! server down! 10:10 am! server still down! fix it!" Honestly I think half these people forget its a beta test and problems will crop up from time to time.

As for me, going with NC for starters, prolly gonna take medium assult at lvl 1 for a gauss, and going straight for an AI Max at 2nd BR. Being somewhat new to the genre I figure I'll need all the armor I can get right off the bat.

I'd also like to maybe try some piloting so prolly either a sketter or reaver cert shortly there after.

Hopefully the disks come today, but as I usually have my mail by 10am I'm betting I'll be waiting til tomorrow

Looking forward to getting in some good squads and having fun!
Old 2003-04-14, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jimbo
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Vash
What's wrong with em, are they just set up really poorly? Or is it just flooded with flamers and whiners?
Flamers and whiners mostly. Reminds me of the old EQ forums back before they changed them. But, it's merely my opinion. I prefer boards that have more intelligent posters. Granted, this one gets a little low at times but for the most part, things are good here.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vash
Staff Sergeant

Mostly the beta forum is made up of a bunch of "why is the server down?! fix it now!" Or in ten minute increments "10am! server down! 10:10 am! server still down! fix it!"
So, about the usual fair for mmo betas
<shrug> guess I shouldnt be surprised hehe

Oh, and remember that you cant use a gauss while in a MAX suit. In fact, you cant really use much anything else, except medkits I think.

though hearing you say that makes me wonder if it might not be a bad idea to go with a MAX to get through the first few levels, then re-arrange your certs after you get to BR7 or 8...

Old 2003-04-14, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

Yeah I know.. I'd figured I'd fall back on the guass when not in a max unit. Was actually thinking of keeping the max cert too as I think they just look cool as all hell to begin with.

Course with my luck I'll prolly suck and end up being an ANT driver lots lol.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jimbo
Master Sergeant

You know, the whole rearranging your certs thing seems weird to me. I can start off as one thing an gain a reputation over the months as say, a really good AA MAX soldier or something and then turn around and completely reinvent who I am. Not saying it's a bad thing but it just strikes me as odd.

Maybe I am just used to other games where you make choices and pretty much have to stick with them or start over. I could level up to be BR20 and then try something new each week! That kind of thing would certainly make the game plenty enjoyable for months.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vash
Staff Sergeant

It is a rather odd idea to wrap your head around if, especially if you're an MMO junkie

I think it'll be great though. Never having to re-roll is a godsend for people like me who suffer from chronic 'grass is always greener' syndrome.

One thing I wonder though, can you only untrain one cert at a time? Or could you untrain everything, do something else for a day (crazy idea, I know) then come back and redesign your whole character?

Old 2003-04-14, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

Pretty sure I read somewhere its one at a time and then theres a limit before you can do it again. Not completely positive on that tho so don't take it as fact.

I agree, I love the idea of being able to change things around & try new things from time to time. Certainly helps to keep the game fresh.
Old 2003-04-14, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Jimbo
Master Sergeant

from the Official FAQ
Can I ever unlearn a cert?
Yes. You can unlearn a certification by visiting a certification terminal. After you unlearn a certification, there will be a 24-hour waiting period before those certification points are available to purchase a new certification. You can unlearn one certification at any given time.
Old 2003-04-14, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Whacko
Private

yes I must agree the Beta testers atleast some of them...are not really testing crap..... we been trying to debug a few things and everytime...you get guys in there ruining the test.....

But on those forums over there it is a nightmare...so many whiners bitching and moaning about petty shit....

I think the game rocks...atleast it has a better debut ahead than that of WWiionline....

with a few patches more to go I think everyone will be happy.....and for those that Bitch about the server not being up......perhaps they'll realize it's BETA it's a honor...not a right to be there.....sheeesh
Old 2003-04-14, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vash
Staff Sergeant

Gah I completely spaced that out. Teaches me to be posting at this hour
Makes sense though. While unlearning everything at once might be nice, one every day does teach you to be a bit more.. mm.. careful with what you do with your points.

Anyways, thanks you two!

Now I'm off to bed before the sun rises...

Old 2003-04-14, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sarah Jinstar
Staff Sergeant

Sleep well Vash! Hope to see you IN game soon!

Exactly Whacko, personally I look on it as a privledge to even try the game and help to find any bugs that might have been looked over. Really tho, shouldn't we as gamers want a product to be as bug free on release as possible? Makes sense to me anyway.
Old 2003-04-14, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Since I don't have the CD's yet, I'm still thinking about it. Perhaps getting into what I want to get into, piloting a Reaver. Then building up BEPs to level to some implants.

Then again, maybe I want to go at it on the ground for a bit, then build into my Reaver certs. Not sure....

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion