Poll: One stab kill? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Signatures Are For Weeners.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What style melee do you want?
Old Planetside style? (More than one stab to kill) 50 64.10%
Call of duty style? (One button insta-kill) 4 5.13%
Something TF2 ish? (Knife is selected and used well by stealther only) 18 23.08%
Something I have yet to think of? (Don't just select this if you have something write it) 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-08, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Poll: One stab kill?

I've heard quick knife mentioned a few times and was curious, does that mean instant kill or simply that knife has its own bind and available all the time?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-08, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I've heard quick knife mentioned a few times and was curious, does that mean instant kill or simply that knife has its own bind and available all the time?
That's what I take as the meaning of "quick knife" (as in having it's own bind), and I don't think such a system would be a bad thing.

Provided it only did damage comparable to the knives in PS1 mind you.

Last edited by Duddy; 2011-08-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Huma
Sergeant

Coming from a cloakers perspective and a vet from MW and CoD I would have far less respect for knifers if it was instagib. Nothing says retardedly annoying as being killed by someone you destroying because their in tier instagib knife animation.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I'm not for the insta-gib, insta-swipe. That stuff can stay in MW, MAG, and anything else it's found in. If the knife is used as a bayonet, I can see it working along the same concept as Gears of War use of the chainsaw. Takes a half moment to rev up, and getting shot shuts it off for a few moments, but that should lead into a lengthy insta-gib animation as well.

I do think cloakers may as well get an insta-gib backstab (that's loud and forces a temporary uncloak) because right now, they're using methods to quickly kill people anyway via boomers/pistols. In rare cases, they're on top of a wall lobbing plasma grenades.

But a lot of this is speculative on what a cloaker can bring with them in PS2. For all we know, a knife and a REK is just about the extent of their kit.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Huma
Sergeant

A quick knife is from MW2. In game it was referred to as a tactical knife that you could use in tandem with a pistol. The Tac knife was a much faster strike and recovery than your standard knife. It didnt help that if you were close enough to knife you would go into a sprinting animation that made you invulnerable. That animation was even more pronounced when done with the Tac knife.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Huma
Sergeant

Post Re: Poll: One stab kill?

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
I'm not for the insta-gib, insta-swipe. That stuff can stay in MW, MAG, and anything else it's found in. If the knife is used as a bayonet, I can see it working along the same concept as Gears of War use of the chainsaw. Takes a half moment to rev up, and getting shot shuts it off for a few moments, but that should lead into a lengthy insta-gib animation as well.

I do think cloakers may as well get an insta-gib backstab (that's loud and forces a temporary uncloak) because right now, they're using methods to quickly kill people anyway via boomers/pistols. In rare cases, they're on top of a wall lobbing plasma grenades.

But a lot of this is speculative on what a cloaker can bring with them in PS2. For all we know, a knife and a REK is just about the extent of their kit.
Hey now there will be none of that dirty talk. Cloakers get some strong attacks but all of them are dead give aways or are loud already. No cloak dropping from anything should happen. I think knives are fine the way they are. If someone wants to instagib someone they can pull Melee boost and go look for someone with low enough health.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't think it should be on a hot key, but equip-able. like current PS ect.
It shouldn't ever be a primary, or preferable weapon except in limited circumstances. IE, you would rather draw a pistol, even at close range, when you run out of a clip in your assault rifle than the knife.

I do think that it could have potential one hit kills...sort of like what we've seen in BF3 leaks. You've got to be behind them and there's some kind of time involved there where you can still get shot. Perhaps even with cloaking/melee boost-type-thing being a requirement.

Don't want: TF2 style where "behind" can mean "Just about anywhere" nor BC/MW knifed = dead.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SKYeXile
Major General

Granted Planetside 2 willbe a faster paced game with faster TTK, it would be harder to close the gap and get into melee, its obvious why a quicknike thats 1 hit kill would be lame in PS, but PS2 will be a different game, so I would be open to see if it could worlk HOWEVER! given that planetside will have battles in confined spaces of weaving corridors with likly indestructable enviroments, sprint, cloakers and probably a whole mass barrage of other thing that would make a quicknife broken, im going to have to say it wont work in PS2.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Quick knife in addition to its MW2 usage was also used in Battlefield Bad Company 2. Quite simply, you push one button and your knife instantly comes out. If you are in melee range of a player they are also instantly killed in one hit. You could be firing your assault rifle or have an RPG out and press that button and magically a knife appears in your hand and stabs in one fluid motion. It's really f'ing retarded and one of those things which PS2 should not take inspiration.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
FIREk
Captain

Quick knife = good, as long as it does like 55% damage tops, so that you can't just shove your ass at a group of enemies and insta-kill away.

It must also be very "punishable", like a badly timed move in Street Fighter. So, very quick draw and stab, then a significant delay before you can use your gun again.

It's supposed to be a last resort for the desperate, not a main weapon, I think.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Planetsiders aren't Wolverine with sharp stabbing weapons built into our hands that appear in an instant.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
Hey now there will be none of that dirty talk. Cloakers get some strong attacks but all of them are dead give aways or are loud already. No cloak dropping from anything should happen. I think knives are fine the way they are. If someone wants to instagib someone they can pull Melee boost and go look for someone with low enough health.
No, they drop a boomer at your feet, which by the time your client gets that info they've already pressed the button at their end. You're only other cue you're ****ed?

Ba-beep!

At least with a knife the guy is stuck there, and only affecting one target at a time. The issue with the 2 knife hit in PS1 is that barely anyone uses it, because to get anything out of it worth calling killing power is to have melee boost and to have it revved up. Who does that? By the time the cloaker is capable of initiating an attack, the other guy has long since realized someone is there. That's why cloaker deaths are far too often boomers and handguns. They're far more sudden, and simply faster and easier to pull off and let's be honest, escape from.

The dagger part of cloak and dagger needs to be encouraged this time around.

"Planetsiders aren't Wolverine with sharp stabbing weapons built into our hands that appear in an instant."

Wrist blades. Though that should probably be an armor upgrade or something. If there are to be quick knives, they need to be slow and weak. At least with a wristblade upgrade, you may be sacrificing another perk, but you get faster strikes. Still would rather no quick blade at all though.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Quick knife in addition to its MW2 usage was also used in Battlefield Bad Company 2. Quite simply, you push one button and your knife instantly comes out. If you are in melee range of a player they are also instantly killed in one hit. You could be firing your assault rifle or have an RPG out and press that button and magically a knife appears in your hand and stabs in one fluid motion. It's really f'ing retarded and one of those things which PS2 should not take inspiration.
Ok I am on the same page then.

No I don't want this, for any class.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-08, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SavageB
First Sergeant

If you are skilled enough to get close to a person in PS2, I think 2 or so stabbs would do it.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by SavageB View Post
If you are skilled enough to get close to a person in PS2, I think 2 or so stabbs would do it.
I would agree if the stabber also had the melee boost implant, but it also depends on how lethal other weapons are. My main concern with knife lethality is its easy use by an infiltrator.

At least in PS if an infil was going to knife you it took 2 hits at most with melee boost and alternate fire mode on the knife. This gave you a fighting chance and you also got a little warning about it from the alt fire mode sound. I thought that was a good mechanic and kept melee infils from getting out of hand but was still more than sufficient for talented players.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion