Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tell your bitch to be cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-03, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #271
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

It reduced the silhouette too much, IMO. So no prone.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
velleity
Corporal

My dual plasma max will be prone.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Prone will be in PS2.

It happens every time you're filled with a few dozen bullets. That's good enough for me.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-03 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Prone will be in PS2.

It happens every time you're filled with a few dozen bullets. That's good enough for me.
This.

The topic is dead guys, please let it rest.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Prone definitely belongs in the game, it's just silly to deny it. It's your character and if you want to hit the deck when a MCG comes around a corner or crawl around in a bush, you should have that ability.

As someone else pointed out, you are usually immobilized and in a game of hitboxes, there is nothing overpowered about hiding everything but your head from enemy fire.

I think those dragging their feet are just people stuck in the past, playing old games. In 5 years every shooter will have prone, it's a logical evolution and main stream gamers generally appreciate it.

Last edited by Conq; 2012-06-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Conq View Post
Prone definitely belongs in the game, it's just silly to deny it. It's your character and if you want to hit the deck when a MCG comes around a corner or crawl around in a bush, you should have that ability.

As someone else pointed out, you are usually immobilized and in a game of hitboxes, there is nothing overpowered about hiding everything but your head from enemy fire.

I think those dragging their feet are just people stuck in the past, playing old games. In 5 years every shooter will have prone, it's a logical evolution and main stream gamers generally appreciate it.
I agree with prone but I don't believe that it's a matter of being stuck in the past. Sometimes gameplay that we had in the past is the better way, even though technology has allowed newer stuff to surface.

But the old/modern argument doesn't even apply to prone, games from the 90s had it. It's just a question of freedom of player movement. In this case it's about people who want to stop camping even though they won't lift a finger against other things that really DO cause camping(unlike prone which is usable by campers and non campers alike).
Old 2012-06-03, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Campers will be campers, with or without prone.

I had prone in BF2, BF1242, and BF3... Does that mean I lied around the map the entire match? Not even in the slightest. It comes down to the individual players habits not the mechanic. A sniper will camp regardless, whether he's crouching or prone.

With the footage shown of the indoor areas so far, they're so open it likely won't be a problem anyway.
Old 2012-06-03, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

It's not really the old versus new argument I care about, it's the mechanics. Can you move while prone? Just forwards and backwards, or can you roll to the side? If you can move while prone, can you do so with any weapon equipped, or just some? How are you going to lie prone with a heavy assault weapon and still operate it? Will a MAX be able to prone? Can you throw grenades from prone? Lay CE? Will people be able to walk over prone soldiers? If a stealthed infil lays prone across a doorway and a MAX sprints over him, does he take damage from being stepped on? Can you prone on top of moving vehicles? Can you go from sprinting to prone? Does it take a Rexo longer to get to feet from prone than an Assault suit? Can you activate jump jets while prone? Will there be any camera view angle restrictions while prone? If you're prone and an aircraft or vehicle moves in such a position as to be over you, does this stop you from getting up from prone?

I see some pretty silly pictures here, and a lot of them seem like obvious answers, but then being prone suddenly has a lot of restrictions and potential issues. All would need to be tested thoroughly by the devs, and I'm sure there would be controversy over some of the mechanics. Too much trouble IMO.

Like I said, you get to be prone when you're dead, so what's the problem?

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-03, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
The Kush
Captain

Please let this topic die already
Old 2012-06-03, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
It's not really the old versus new argument I care about, it's the mechanics. Can you move while prone? Just forwards and backwards, or can you roll to the side? If you can move while prone, can you do so with any weapon equipped, or just some? How are you going to lie prone with a heavy assault weapon and still operate it? Will a MAX be able to prone? Can you throw grenades from prone? Lay CE? Will people be able to walk over prone soldiers? If a stealthed infil lays prone across a doorway and a MAX sprints over him, does he take damage from being stepped on? Can you prone on top of moving vehicles? Can you go from sprinting to prone? Does it take a Rexo longer to get to feet from prone than an Assault suit? Can you activate jump jets while prone? Will there be any camera view angle restrictions while prone? If you're prone and an aircraft or vehicle moves in such a position as to be over you, does this stop you from getting up from prone?

I see some pretty silly pictures here, and a lot of them seem like obvious answers, but then being prone suddenly has a lot of restrictions and potential issues. All would need to be tested thoroughly by the devs, and I'm sure there would be controversy over some of the mechanics. Too much trouble IMO.

Like I said, you get to be prone when you're dead, so what's the problem?
Half of those things are pretty silly to even ask, of course you shouldn't be able to jump jet from prone, and a MAX wouldn't make any sense to prone.

But I'm glad you mentioned MAX stepping on you. I would love to see that! If a MAX is standing on a height and steps out and falls on another infantry that ought to kill. Call it the "MAX Stomp"!
Old 2012-06-03, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Please let this topic die already
Yes, show us your disinterest in continuing this discussion by bumping it up with useless commentary.
Old 2012-06-03, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Grimshad
Private

Hi all, PS1 vet here, I was really trying to avoid joining the forums because I knew all I would do is say WTF no vehicle enter/exit animations?!?

Then I saw this and had to sign up just to vote no on prone. It wasn't needed in PS1 and it's not needed here. PS isn't that type of game, it doesn't fit, it's meant to keep you on the move.
Old 2012-06-03, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grimshad View Post
Hi all, PS1 vet here, I was really trying to avoid joining the forums because I knew all I would do is say WTF no vehicle enter/exit animations?!?

Then I saw this and had to sign up just to vote no on prone. It wasn't needed in PS1 and it's not needed here. PS isn't that type of game, it doesn't fit, it's meant to keep you on the move.
^ This

Also, hi Grim.
Old 2012-06-03, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
Incorrect. I would argue that it's about a 50/50 split. Most, at the very least just don't really care.

If you don't like it don't use it. If prone players are apparently so easy to kill what do you care?
50/50 split? Where did you get that? I see 65% saying no and 22% saying yes.

Face it your a minority.

Other doesn't count as it's a terrible option for a poll like this.

Seriously I thought the poll was stupid enough that I didn't bother to vote until just now just to see if it really was 50/50.

Maybe I should start a poll with a million options regarding whether or not we should have PS1 inventories...

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-06-03 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Prone isn't for snipers - it's for anyone and everyone. It's for people taking cover, or lining up a shot, or reducing your head-on silhouette, or moving undetected. It's for crawling through scrub brush to pop up and over a wall, guns blazing. It's useful in EVERY style of play, and the idea that a modern FPS would lack it is like that fps lacking jumping, as far as I'm concerned.

It's a situational feature; it can give you a great advantage if used in the right place at the right time, but it can also do the exact opposite. Going prone does not magically activate godmode, as anyone who has ever snuck up behind a group of proning soldiers can atest to.

I vote yes to this, but I feel that some logical restrictions should be put in place, like MAXs not being able to prone, and not being able to throw grenades very far, etc.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion