method specific XP? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where hazing is still legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-04, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

method specific XP?

the devs are trying to make all weapons used, but with all honesty, most people would prefer using a phoenix over a punisher in most cases. they just take rexo, an MA and AV instead of the punisher.

I think it would be nice if XP would be calculated not only based on what you killed, but on how you did it.

an equation like this would be nice:

BaseXP + E_lifetime + Multiplier * (E_hitpoints/My_HitPoints + E_weapon/My_Weapon)

-BaseXP would be a certain minimum you can't get under.
-E_Lifetime is the time the enemy was alive before you wasted him. just like now, the longer he was alive the more XP you get.
-E_hitpoints is how much damage he could take. so if it's a rexo it would be like 300.
-E_weapon is a certain rating from 1 to 20 given to the strongest weapon in their holsters/spot in the veichle. inventory doesn't count. the more effective the weapon, the higher it's rating.
My_Hitpoints is just like E_hitpoints
My_weapon is a certain rating from 1 to 20 given to a weapon. a knife and a supressor for example should have a rating of 20, while a tank's main cannon is 1 or 2. reaver chainguns are around 10, and the rockets are 3-4. this is according to what you got the kill with.

the part in the brackets would calculate how hard it was to kill the guy, and the result would be multiplied by a certain multiplier.

in the end, you will see fresh spawners aren't worth much to a max with their little suppressors, maybe 50 XP at best. but taking out a rexo with a knife or a reaver with the prowler chainguns really pays off.

what do you think? maybe HA won't be so popular and people will start using buggies more in heavy battles.
Old 2004-03-04, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

But then people will shy away from the true power of what is needed for taking a base. Who the hell would want to take a tank in to battle when they have to get 20 kills to match the 1 you'd have to get with a harasser?

Edit: Plus this would ruin the idea of more certs=better advantage. The people with the real advantage would be the idiots running around with an amp and in standard armor, with a 1:20 kill to death ratio, when the BR18 grunt is killing 20 times that and getting less xp.

Last edited by dscytherulez; 2004-03-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2004-03-04, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheN00b
Colonel

Yep, sorry, idea's no good . Next?
Old 2004-03-04, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
a pink punk
Corporal

no, this would make the game work the way it is supposed to, you would see the lighter wepeons more, and the heavery one less. also, it make it so that people would not use the main gun of a tank on a guy agile.

get where am going?
Old 2004-03-04, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

You guys sound like the Native Americans counting cue (AKA: Running up and hitting and armed guy for praise because of bravery). All I know is that if I went to war and was given the option, I'd have the biggest damn gun there is. You want to run in there with a pistol because people will think you are braver? Be my guest. But don't penalize the smart ones.

Edit: Moral: A kill is a kill. I don't feel sorry for you when your trying to stab me while im holding an assualt rifle to your skull and pulling the trigger.
Old 2004-03-04, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

That would ruin what this game does best.

Let you play with what weapon YOU like the most.

Old 2004-03-04, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

It wouldnt make everyone walk around in standard armor. They would be just as vulnerable to being killed as before this would be implimented. They use the weaker weapons at risk of being exposed to damage longer. AKA the enemies not dieing as quickly. The idea is completely legitimate and would work for any game. It would actualy create an environement where people are better off staying alive longer like there supposed to be trying to so that you do get more experience form people. Which would also get people to become things like infiltrators or medics more and use more strategie because there not going to neccesarily get as much if they kill everything off right away. Theyll just have ot learn to seperate bases from people in there tactics instead of letting poeple respawn over and over.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-04 at 04:35 PM.
Old 2004-03-04, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheN00b
Colonel

Ait'al, since to me knowledge you don't even play, STFU. Just like Rulez said, bigger guns mean living longer, but they cost more certs. Why kill that system?
Old 2004-03-04, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Seer
Major

the devs are trying to make all weapons used
No, they aren't. The devs try to make every weapon useful in certain situations, and for the most part they are. AMPs and knives are great for stealthers, while the Punisher is useful for someone that wants a cheap grenade launcher. The idea that you would give someone more exp for using an inappropriate weapon is essentially flawed. People should be rewarded for being effective killers, that's all.
Old 2004-03-04, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Seer
No, they aren't. The devs try to make every weapon useful in certain situations, and for the most part they are. AMPs and knives are great for stealthers, while the Punisher is useful for someone that wants a cheap grenade launcher. The idea that you would give someone more exp for using an inappropriate weapon is essentially flawed. People should be rewarded for being effective killers, that's all.
Old 2004-03-04, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheN00b
Colonel

Originally Posted by Seer
/signed
Old 2004-03-05, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

While we're beating a dead horse, I'll point out that driving people to behave a certain way in game with the reward of XP is a short-term solution. Eventually they will hit BR20/CR5 and that XP won't mean jack.
Old 2004-03-05, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SpunkJackel
Corporal

I'm all for this idea.

I stopped playing for exp so many weeks ago and would love to own fool after fool with my lasher/rexo get up that come charging at me decked out in standard with knife swinging.
Old 2004-03-05, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheN00b
Colonel

lol SJ
Old 2004-03-05, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Funny, do that experience system and watch all the xp whores come over to be an infiltrator next to me. I already run around with the least armor and use a knife a huge chunk of the time. It's fun, I don't need extra xp to entice me. Knifing an MCG user to death is it's own reward.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion