What are "merits"? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why wont my gold bullets work on this beamer?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-18, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

What are "merits"?

Ive been away from PS for a long long time. I see people talking about merits and I gather they are a reward based on kills. But i dont see anything describing them.

Do they do something? Are they a title?
Old 2005-03-18, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

on your character info screen theres now a merits tab, you earn them as mentioned through getting kills in the proper way, for example you get tank buster for killing tanks, special assault merit for killing with thumper and rocket rifle, etc etc.

when you complete a merit it shows up on your list of completed merits, and you can display the little strip thinger on your shoulder, you can have up to three, or four if you get your annual term of service merit (1 year old character, displays always along with the three you select)
Old 2005-03-18, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Ghoest9
Do they do something? Are they a title?
Eventually they will do something, similar to how the Advanced BFR merit works right now. It's the only merit that has an effect. To use a flight variant BFR, you need the Advanced BFR merit. But, the flight variant isn't 'better' than the regular BFR, per se, it's just different. That's going to be the theme with merit benefits. Access to new gear, weapons, or vehicles which aren't better than the current stuff, they're just different.
Old 2005-03-18, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

Yea atm it's just a reward for killwh0res... the last thing we need to do is encourage more killwh0res
Old 2005-03-18, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for the answers.

Although it seems to me encouraging "kill wh0res" is a good thing.
Old 2005-03-18, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9
Thanks for the answers.

Although it seems to me encouraging "kill wh0res" is a good thing.
Haha not in a game who's original draw was teamwork on a huge scale, all the vets want teamwork to be brought into this game. Why? Becuase there are 20 million other killwh0re games that are free and to be more successfull PS needs to be something new.
Old 2005-03-18, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by FatalLight
Haha not in a game who's original draw was teamwork on a huge scale, all the vets want teamwork to be brought into this game. Why? Becuase there are 20 million other killwh0re games that are free and to be more successfull PS needs to be something new.
They redid the BEP system this patch for squads didn't they? That will encourage teamwork. The merits are there for EVERYONE, not just killwhores. I love it when a plan comes together, but I also like flashy little doo-dads to adhere to my character's Record of Shit I've Done That Doesn't Really Matter list. It's part of what makes these games fun. Maybe you don't see any merit (lmao) in it, but there's definitely a good reason for merits to exist. Eventually, more teamwork stuff will come, but in the meantime, we've got merits to keep us busy.

edit: And besides, killwhoring was encouraged the day online stats and leaderboards were implimented. This is absolutely not some new fangled thing that Planetside players are experiencing for the first time. The good news though is that merit kills have certain prereqs (alive 30 seconds etc) so it's not as bad as sheer stat whoring.

Last edited by Warborn; 2005-03-18 at 06:42 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion