AP vs Standard rounds - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you pick at it, it WILL get worse.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-09, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nazsteph
Private

AP vs Standard rounds

If someone could point me in the direction to find out what is the difference between these two types of ammo it would be very appreciated. I usually load up a favorite with all AP rounds thinking that they will pierce the hard outer shell and get to the squishy stuff in the center. But, I have not found either type to have a significant improvement over the other in killing the enemy. If someone could give me an idea of what type they use for which targets, I would be very thankfull.

Nazsteph - At least my knife dosnt require ammo.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Spee
Colonel

This is the thing that drives me in-fucking-sane about PS.

Normal ammo damages infantry faster than AP.

AP pierces vehicle and MAX armor quickly, but do shit against infantry.

Try killing a softie with a decimator.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

AP for vehs and maxs, standard for ppl.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Spee
This is the thing that drives me in-fucking-sane about PS.

Normal ammo damages infantry faster than AP.

AP pierces vehicle and MAX armor quickly, but do shit against infantry.

Try killing a softie with a decimator.

Yeah this is to balance it though, have you ever played medal of honor? Almost no server allows u to use a rocket launcher, if Decimators were one shot kills to grunts everyone would have special assualt, ud be unstoppable.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Reload
Private

Basically dont bother carrying AP ammo. A grunt againt any vehicle with just AP doesnt have much of a chance. Your better off avoiding vehicles and MAXes.

Use AV or SA against Vehicles or MAXes.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Reload
Basically dont bother carrying AP ammo. A grunt againt any vehicle with just AP doesnt have much of a chance. Your better off avoiding vehicles and MAXes.

Use AV or SA against Vehicles or MAXes.
Yeah, that too, i dont carry any AP rounds, but i always got some kind of AV weapon(deci, AV, rocklet)...
Old 2003-11-09, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TeraHertz
Major

AP usualy means anti personel, in planetside I think it means Armoured Piercing. The difference is that if you shot an unarmourded target with an armoured piercing round it would general pass straight through the victim, loosing alot of the punch. This would of course probably kill the victim in the end through blood loss, but theres a chance it isn't going to stop him straight away. He could still return fire for time.

With an anti personel The full inertia of the bullet hits the victim and knocks him flat like he's been hit by a cannon ball. The bullet will shatter or flatten when it hits anything, as its head is soft or very brittle.

[edit] the shatter/flatten effect of an anti personael round would make it ineffective or totaly usless against an armoured target. At most it would wind you if hit you in the chest since it lacks penetrative stength.

Last edited by TeraHertz; 2003-11-09 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2003-11-09, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by dscytherulez
Yeah this is to balance it though, have you ever played medal of honor? Almost no server allows u to use a rocket launcher, if Decimators were one shot kills to grunts everyone would have special assualt, ud be unstoppable.

No, no. I know its for balance, but everything in PS, respawning, guns, etc, have an explanation. Someone explain why AP ammo isnt more effective against softies, balance aside.

Edit: Thank you, TeraHertz.
Old 2003-11-09, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
00AgentDuck
Sergeant Major

I only really carry AP ammo with weapons like my mini chain gun. It takes a little less then a full clip I think to kill a max and it has helped me with MAX's. On vechicle's, alone AP won't do much, but with alot of people or hitting a vechcile with almost no health does help, but this rarly happens.
Old 2003-11-09, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

if ur really confused by this then VS is the empire for you, you dont need to worry too much about switching types if u gotta lasher, and if u got a pulsar, then just click to switch
Old 2003-11-09, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rayder
General

Misc Info

AP rounds take out the armor of 'soft' targets faster than standard rounds do, also, AP rounds don't do as much damage to health as standard rounds do. So, if your up against a MAX, AP rounds are much more effective against them than standard is. If you've come across 'soft' targets, such as infantry that aren't MAX's standard rounds are more effective because they do more damage to health. A tank comes across you your pretty much screwed so don't even bother.
Old 2003-11-09, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Katanaboy
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by TeraHertz
AP usualy means anti personel, in planetside I think it means Armoured Piercing. The difference is that if you shot an unarmourded target with an armoured piercing round it would general pass straight through the victim, loosing alot of the punch. This would of course probably kill the victim in the end through blood loss, but theres a chance it isn't going to stop him straight away. He could still return fire for time.

With an anti personel The full inertia of the bullet hits the victim and knocks him flat like he's been hit by a cannon ball. The bullet will shatter or flatten when it hits anything, as its head is soft or very brittle.

[edit] the shatter/flatten effect of an anti personael round would make it ineffective or totaly usless against an armoured target. At most it would wind you if hit you in the chest since it lacks penetrative stength.
This is absolutely correct. AP rounds (full metal jacket) can pierce armor, but against unarmored opponents would just pass through, in the end not "damaging" much (but as stated, would cause blood loss).

On the other hand, Jacketed Hollow Point has...well...a hollow point, meaning it flattens and widens on impact, causing all sorts of mayhem to a squishy unarmored person's innards. However, due to its hollow point it lacks penetration power, and thus cannot do too well against body armor.

So...planetside kinda has it correct....kinda...
Old 2003-11-09, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

Actually, AP is good for Medium to Long range shots. You crouch, aim, and do burst fire at your target(s). I did that against a Scatter Cannon MAx, but with the Pulsar's Secondary fire, and I killed him. He realized he had to close distance, but I just did the *** around the Bunker and he couldn't get clear shots at me.
Old 2003-11-10, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

AP Shotguns make decent anti-max defense for low BR chars. AP rounds are mildly useful for HA users, and it can also function as a decent finishing move for that third Deci round. Mostly useless against vehicles, although they can be mildly effective against air units and ATVs. Barney is the only one who gets a signifigant advantage with them though, often by the time you've switched ammo types out you have missed you chance, with the Pulsar it's just a right click away.
Old 2003-11-10, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Reload
Lol. How many times I have been in my skeeter trying to kill a NC grunt with agile surging around with his ammo as AP with a JH and i've been killed, that's your PS balance for you.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion