...and ANOTHER player stays confused and disheartened. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sigbot just deleted my right arm!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-12-14, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Uhlan
Private

...and ANOTHER player stays confused and disheartened.

I am at a total loss in this game.

I have played several of the usual suspects where FPS's are concerned and tend to deal out slightly more death than I get. I never expected to do the same here, at least not in the beginning.

As it stands, my K/D is 1.4 with 250 kills I think after playing for several days. Now, I don't mind dying, but in all that time I've made only 330 certs or so. Yet I see others who seem to rack up serious points, wiping out multiple targets with a tank or aircraft and it takes me an hour to kill 5-10 at 100 to 115 a kill. I do, however, have a ton of assists as you might expect, but that is little consolation when I get 29-50 for those.. Especially when you hear or read about others getting 100 certs (or more) in an evening!?! How is this freakin' possible?

I've tried everything, support, tank driving... I've given up on aircraft
I don't avoid combat, I try to assist every attack or siege I can, I don't run away from superior numbers and yet I still get nowhere.

I haven't joined an outfit because I have trouble with voice (can't make my mic work with PS2 for some reason) and don't want to cause teammates any difficulty. I don't want to be THAT guy, if you know what I mean. As nice as it would be to team up with a serious crew, this shouldn't be the cure to all my woes... is it?

I don't mean to whine (whinge, whatever), but any enlightenment or constructive criticism about what I've written above would be helpful.
Old 2012-12-14, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Wahooo
Captain

Re: ...and ANOTHER player stays confused and disheartened.

Will your mic work for other voic programs like Vent/TS3/Mummble ? The voice comms in PS2 are really pretty good... but I've never even learned what the push to talk button is for this game. Most organized outfits use a 3rd party voice system and even then mics are not always required. Logging into the voip server is but the mic isn't always.

Finding an active and organized outfit of people you get along with is the single best thing you can do to further your enjoyment of this game.
Find the ones that are recruiting but keep an eye on the squad listings. The outfits that are always listed when you play (maybe even avoiding the ones that are recruiting heavily) joining them and seeing if their play style matches yours. Then ask about joining the outfit.
Old 2012-12-14, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Elgareth
Private

Originally Posted by Uhlan View Post
As it stands, my K/D is 1.4 with 250 kills I think after playing for several days. Now, I don't mind dying, but in all that time I've made only 330 certs or so. Yet I see others who seem to rack up serious points, wiping out multiple targets with a tank or aircraft and it takes me an hour to kill 5-10 at 100 to 115 a kill. I do, however, have a ton of assists as you might expect, but that is little consolation when I get 29-50 for those.. Especially when you hear or read about others getting 100 certs (or more) in an evening!?! How is this freakin' possible?

I've tried everything, support, tank driving... I've given up on aircraft
I don't avoid combat, I try to assist every attack or siege I can, I don't run away from superior numbers and yet I still get nowhere.
Well... they way I play: Log in, search a nice Platoon to Join in (the most organized I found were those with "Follow Waypoints" in it... still no communication whatsoever, but at least one target everyone went to), and go Medic or Engineer. With some Luck / in peak times you join a huge meat grinder battle, and by ressing everyone and their mother as medic or deploying Ammo as Engi nets you some good XP. Even better when you can get a MBT to that Battle and shoot that Infantry to pieces. The abundance of HA however won't let you live for too long unfortunately... as for aircraft: Try cranking up the sensivity in Aircraft to very VERY high. It helped me a lot, because it becomes much more responsive.

That's all that I can tell you. Generally spoken: K/D means next to nothing in this game. Don't care that much about certs, you'll get them as you play anyway, so just have fun and enjoy the time you have enough Certs for something you wanted
Old 2012-12-14, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Moodel
Private

@Uhlan

They key to survival in PS2 is understanding the ebb and flow of the local battle that you are in.

Obviously understanding the building locations/layouts also helps.

Use those corners and never camp because you will get pin pointed.

Keep on the move, assess the terrain and use whats best for the class you are playing.

Occasionally dieing is necessary though so don't feel afraid to sacrifice yourself so as to give your side the edge.

Forget about the KD this is not like any other FPS you will have played.

Call out every enemy you can and hope your team are listening in order to destroy them.

I play heavy mostly and occasionally a medic......I die allot but there are those hero moments when you're the first to the top of a flight of stairs and mow down a whole bunch of enemy troops allowing your lads to come up after you. And if you die hopefully one of them is a medic to revive you

This is a game that you have to plug away at.

Yes an organized Outfit will give you the best experience possibly but occasionally the randoms around you are situation aware and gel as a team and when that happens awesomeness will follow.

Never think solo always think team.

But there will always be those days when you just die allot. I know because I have been there many times

Last edited by Moodel; 2012-12-14 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2012-12-14, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

What's wrong with a 1.4 K/DR?

(yeah, that's where I'm at too...)

I dunno man. A lot of the really high kill counts seem to be gained by...*ahem*...less than savory tactics and techniques. Last night, I shot a smurf up in his Reaver as he left his shield (continent lock), and immediately felt like a turd for it. Others were content to hover their Lib's right outside and obliterate everything in sight. Air is by no means the only place where such farming happens. But spamming random guys coming out of spawn doesn't really do it for me.

I'm in agreement with Moodel, I like to focus more on the objectives...if the enemy is in the way of us taking it and I can schwack him, great. But for me, the whole reason I'm there at that spot is to take the objective. Killing and dying isn't the point of me being there, it is symptomatic.
Old 2012-12-14, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Moodel
Private

Originally Posted by belch View Post
But spamming random guys coming out of spawn doesn't really do it for me.
Keep thinking like that because I know that not everyone does and its commendable.
Old 2012-12-14, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Moodel View Post
Keep thinking like that because I know that not everyone does and its commendable.
Thanks bro. I'll take fair play and a good fight over some silly little numbers any day.
Old 2012-12-14, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Uhlan
Private

I want to thank everyone who responded. I didn't expect many serious, thoughtful responses.

Kudos to the Forum and its membership...

I have come to realize after reading those comments that it isn't about the certs, but the quality of play. Joining an Outfit that fits IS key. At least to the way I'd like to play the game.

I had thought certs were most important because this is how you buy skills, better weaponry etc... I don't wish to purchase with real money (Im not cheap, but money can be better spent elsewhere).

Well, off to find some quality folks to game with.

Thanks again.
Old 2012-12-14, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Uhlan what server are you playing on?
Old 2012-12-14, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I haven't joined an outfit because I have trouble with voice (can't make my mic work with PS2 for some reason) and don't want to cause teammates any difficulty.
That's your biggest problem right there. You don't need a properly working mic to LISTEN to coordination from a good outfit. You don't need a mic to join people and get to know them and how they play and work together. You don't NEED a mic for any coordination, sure it helps, but don't let it ruin your game because YOU created that barrier

and grats on the positive K/D, you're all ready above most people's average ratio

If you're concerned about the cert gain rate, try buying a 1 day boost and see if you think thats better. Maybe you'd rather pay the $15 for membership
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-12-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 2012-12-14, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
vanutard
Private

Hook up with a good outfit, like dude above said you don't have to talk to anybody to follow orders and be a valuable asset to an organized group.

If you really want K/D I suggest you start to focus on playing defensively - get that medpack upgrade for your heavy and make sure you use it, hide out for your shield recharge, cert your base health boost - know when its worth to rambo an die an when its better to run away.

AND there is no fair play (minus blatant hacks/sploits) - that dude who just flew out the gate is looking to kill your ass he just doesnt see you yet.. I've been gaming for years here is a FANTASTIC article on this subject: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...in-part-1.html
Old 2012-12-15, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

lolz...so camping a spawn is a 'higher level' of gaming?

just....wow....
Old 2012-12-16, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

1. Many players bought a lot of the really abusive weapons on release day. Rocketpods, HE tank turrets, lib with Zephyr. That stuff costs money/certs and you don't start with it. They also have every XP boost you can get; subscription with the 7-day boost is double XP I think. Due to killing a ton of people the first couple weeks, their stuff is fully upgraded now and they just feed off newbies.

2. A lot of times the killwhores have people that are constantly willing to help them. In this vid, Buzz has like 10 engies behind the shield repairing him the whole time and an outfit ammo sundy. You will rack up a lot of kills in this situation when the tank has HE turret, thermovision, fully upgraded lockdown, fully upgraded front armor, etc.

http://www.twitch.tv/buzzcutpsycho/c/1770339

3. If you don't have those sorts of tools available to you, expect 30 certs/hr to be a decent goal. I used to get more before the tech plant change ruined a good farm, and now I'm having trouble getting to 30 certs/hr.

Last edited by Bocheezu; 2012-12-16 at 10:53 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions