Dop's White Paper - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, Vanu don't shoot like girls! Girls are way better.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-12-23, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Dop's White Paper

Here are some random ideas rattling in my skull for you dissection, ingestion, and spontanious combustion.

New CE Build items.

CEK-Combat Employment Kit
Riflesize Item Used for Deploying the advanced items stated here, not purchasable from AMS terminals.

Balistae Man Portable Launcher System-A man portable launcher system, once set up can be operated by anyone, unlike the flail this system may only fire on targets painted with the targeting laser or commanders waypoint. It is easily destroyed, cannot be set up in enemy SOI and has a limited range. Fires anti infantry or anti armor rounds.

Hestia Portable Repair Terminal-These terminals, placable only within friendly SOI's or neutral ground can repair the armor of friendly units, and if the CE was a medic as well, heal them. The materials to do so come from the terminals own armor rating, which can be replenished with the repair gun as per repairing any deployable or object.

Hephaistos Portable Ammo Terminal-Placable Only within friendly SOI's or neutral ground, can reload all a soldiers currently equiped weapons to a full clip, note this does nothing to their weapons in inventory, nor can it reload ancient tech weapons.

Antitank Mine-A mine, not set off by infantry, visible from long distances, 3 successive direct explosions should take out a main battle tank. Limit 2 Per engineer.

Bolis Portable Antiair System-A deployable upward facing non mobile flack cannon. Must be manned manualy. Limit 1 per CE, limited ammo supply, fires same ammo as the skyguard. Alt fire is used for disrupting incoming flail shots, fires a laser with a slow recharge time.

Combo Cert Ideas-
Samaritan Mobile Hospital-Delieverer with one gun instead of two and no passenger slots. The samaritan will heal nearby friendly units providing troopers cover on the battle field. Must be stationary for this effect. Will also revive fallen troopers if the driver is an advanced medic and stops over them. Requires Medical or Advanced Med AND Ground Support or Ground Transport Certs.

Tinkerer Mobile Repair Vehicle-Lighning With main cannon replaced by fast firing repair gun, repairs as fast as the loadstar. Only armorment is the machine gun. Requires Engineering and Light Scout or Ligtning Cert

Advanced Aid Tool-A 3 in one rifle size tool that performs medical and both repair gun functions. Consumes one type of ammo. Requires Engineering and Medical.

Defensive Improvements-
Internal IFF locks. All doors now have an IFF both inside and out. Prevents enemies from just opening the door for other enemies without first hacking the lock. Also if a friendly (to the building) uses their REK on the internal REK that door is now unopenable by anyone of that or lesser hacking skill. Yes this means that an advanced hacker counterhacking a door lock makes it unhackable.

Point Defense System For turrets - A shield, Similar to the NC Max shield ability, protecting only the front of the turret to protect against incoming missiles. Capacitor must recharge and turret must be facing the incoming missile. Perhaps only available if you have an amp station.

Ok thats enough for now, quiestions or comments?

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-12-23, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MuNsTeR
Sergeant Major

sounds good... but i didnt read all it cuz im lazy
Old 2003-12-23, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Welp, you asked for it

CEK-Combat Employment Kit
Riflesize Item Used for Deploying the advanced items stated here, not purchasable from AMS terminals.
Good idea, but how would it work?

Balistae Man Portable Launcher System-A man portable launcher system, once set up can be operated by anyone, unlike the flail this system may only fire on targets painted with the targeting laser or commanders waypoint. It is easily destroyed, cannot be set up in enemy SOI and has a limited range. Fires anti infantry or anti armor rounds.
Get a different name Good idea, limit the amount used in a certain area though, wouldn't want this game to rely on artillery

Hestia Portable Repair Terminal-These terminals, placable only within friendly SOI's or neutral ground can repair the armor of friendly units, and if the CE was a medic as well, heal them. The materials to do so come from the terminals own armor rating, which can be replenished with the repair gun as per repairing any deployable or object.
O.K.

Antitank Mine-A mine, not set off by infantry, visible from long distances, 3 successive direct explosions should take out a main battle tank. Limit 2 Per engineer.
PlanetSide doesn't have battle tanks. It has Medium Assault Tanks.

Bolis Portable Antiair System-A deployable upward facing non mobile flack cannon. Must be manned manualy. Limit 1 per CE, limited ammo supply, fires same ammo as the skyguard. Alt fire is used for disrupting incoming flail shots, fires a laser with a slow recharge time.
No alt fire. Flails are rare enough, and we wouldn't want to start making them even rarer by having their shots destroyed. And, all you have to say is "Must be manned" the manually part is redundant.

Samaritan Mobile Hospital-Delieverer with one gun instead of two and no passenger slots. The samaritan will heal nearby friendly units providing troopers cover on the battle field. Must be stationary for this effect. Will also revive fallen troopers if the driver is an advanced medic and stops over them. Requires Medical or Advanced Med AND Ground Support or Ground Transport Certs.
Too powerful. I'd rather not have just killed 10 guys and have a deliverer run over them and they get back up.

Tinkerer Mobile Repair Vehicle-Lighning With main cannon replaced by fast firing repair gun, repairs as fast as the loadstar. Only armorment is the machine gun. Requires Engineering and Light Scout or Ligtning Cert
Should not be able to defend itself, armor should be weaker than that of a Lightning. Cannot move to repair. Slow moving.

Advanced Aid Tool-A 3 in one rifle size tool that performs medical and both repair gun functions. Consumes one type of ammo. Requires Engineering and Medical.
Good

Defensive Improvements-
Internal IFF locks. All doors now have an IFF both inside and out. Prevents enemies from just opening the door for other enemies without first hacking the lock. Also if a friendly (to the building) uses their REK on the internal REK that door is now unopenable by anyone of that or lesser hacking skill. Yes this means that an advanced hacker counterhacking a door lock makes it unhackable.
Waaaaaaay overpowered. Possibly something that makes hacking times double, but can be countered by another item.

Point Defense System For turrets - A shield, Similar to the NC Max shield ability, protecting only the front of the turret to protect against incoming missiles. Capacitor must recharge and turret must be facing the incoming missile. Perhaps only available if you have an amp station.
O.K.
Old 2003-12-23, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Doppler
Contributor
Major

First off rayder dont argue semantics with me! :P

But on to the meat of your argument,

The CEK whould be used like an ACE only from a rifle slot, equip select fire.

Bah names i'm not worrying about.

While flails are not that common when used in numbers to pound a base they more or less deny the courtyard to people. Not cool, but perhaps this whould be better off as a base mounted only version.

I fail to see how the tinkerer and the samaritan are overpowered, they are the same capabilities as an advanced medics but provide some protection, they'd be a sitting duck for decimators from the walls and they must revive each unit individualy.

I see no reason to leave the tinkerer completely defenseless or change its driving properties from that of the lightning, it was implied but not stated that it cannot repair on the move. However could follow a tank colum and effect in field repairs.

As to the dual IFF locking, i see that this is overpowered, but it is supposed to be. It just strikes me as ludicrus that defenders cannot force doors to remain closed. Also if the defenders want to sally forth and face the enemy, they must open the door, this lets any waiting enemy in. Basicly I want to make defending more of a viable option, then a way to slowly stave off the almost inevitable tide of defeat.

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-12-23, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Try this for the doors. One guy could lock down an entire base and then recall. Thus, that base would be invincible to enemy hacks.

You failed to mention the mobile hospital thing could revive only one guy at a time.
Old 2003-12-23, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
STEALTHKILLER
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Doppler
Defensive Improvements-
I like this one since im an adv hacker.
Old 2003-12-23, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Ok my fault for not being more detailed on both counts.

On the doors I meant that while someone is actively using their REK on it. So one Advanced hacker makes one door unhackable. Now I realize to balance this you probly couldnt let people do this to internal doors. Also it might be good to make it so That adding more hackers could either aid in the defense or aid in beating the defense, so you could have like a little scale that goes one way or the other.

Old 2003-12-23, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
apachepilotpat

these sound good
another thing could be a deployable blast wall that is invincible can be taken down by the person who put it up or after 1 min passes whichever comes first

Old 2003-12-23, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cyanide
Major

The last thing we need is more newb bitches sitting behind trees and over hills just randomly shelling things. The phoenix newbs are bad enough.

Might not be a bad idea as long as the thing is easy to spot and can't repair a bunch of maxes all at once. Assaulting a heavily gaurded base is bad enough without maxes that can heal themselves faster than you can kill them.

Hephaistos Portable Ammo Terminal-Placable Only within friendly SOI's or neutral ground, can reload all a soldiers currently equiped weapons to a full clip, note this does nothing to their weapons in inventory, nor can it reload ancient tech weapons.
AMS already fills this role and then some.

Might not be a bad idea as long as that limit you stated is the maximum number they can have deployed at any time, not just a limit on how many they can carry.

No, air units have enough trouble now that every freakin ground vehicle can point their turrets high enough to shoot them.

Combo Cert Ideas-
If there was something like that in the game it should not have any guns at all. I just don't think it would get used. Nobody seems to care about reviving or healing when you can just park an AMS near the battle and respawn every 20 some seconds.

Again, I don't think it should have any weapons and it should not repair as fast as the lodestar.

No, we don't need reinforced surge monkeys running around with the ability to quickly repair and heal themselves on top of the ability to circle strafe at warp speed with a gun that kills agiles in 2 shots.

Defensive Improvements-
What would be the point if you have to have somebody else activley counter-hacking the door to keep it locked. Nobody would ever stand there and do that for as long as some real battles last. Or you would get outfits that would do it and they'd have enough hackers to hold the doors shut until the enemy moved on. I just think it would cause problems.

I dont' really like that idea. I think it would make base turrets a bit too strong.

Last edited by Cyanide; 2003-12-23 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2003-12-23, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Katanaboy
Master Sergeant

I dont' really like that idea. I think it would make base turrets a bit too strong.
Base turrets as defense are laughable as they are currently. One could just sit there shooting them while in a vehicle and not have any worries about the damage they are receiving. Even having people in the turrets does not make them that much more dangerous, since they are limited by human reflexes to aim and their slow turning speed.

I like these ideas, they would add some more flavor to the game. Also, isn't it spelled Hephaestus?
Old 2003-12-23, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Cyanide
Major

Turrets we're never ment to defend a base by themselves. That's why they aren't an all mighty killing force.
Old 2003-12-23, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Cyanide, you are a very bitter individual, the point is to give people that have the will to defend a base the means to do so. If an outfit decides to get together and lockdowna base, more the better, the doorlocks as they stand now are laughable. Secondly i see no problem with a gun that performs all three functions, maybe not concurently, it really whouldnt be that much of an improvement over current items, they still require the certs, the only difrence is now they have a rifle slot item that can do all three, instead of individual pistol slot items, so that means that they have to unequip their "surge monkey" item and then equip the rifle, then turn it on themself, and repair, how is this such a great advantage over super skilled players like yourself? Also the point behind a reloading terminal is can you haul an ams up on a catwalk? Or a base wall, no ok then. But its becoming clear to me that you probly dont do a lot of defending. Also when i say Limit 2 per engineer, its generaly assumed that were referring to how many they can deploy, as nothing in the game really is limited by how many they can carry, as thats a matter of inventory space.

In short, if your going to attack everything i put up pretty much try to make sure your arguments are not inherently jaded by your own perspective, and not fouled up by your own non existant logic.

Katana-I am reasonably sure that both spellings are correct, I got the spelling out of a Mythology text book, but like old words in a semi dead language theres bound to be some drift. I've even seen it shortened to Hephestus.

Old 2003-12-23, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

I really like the idea of a deployable repair center for armor's sake. Replenishing armor in this game can be a bitch.
Old 2003-12-23, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

cyanide wtf is your probelm with the phoenix. it does what it does. It fights the target without direct sight. Damnit , i hate to say it but nice work doppler

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-12-23, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Hephaestus is the Greek god of fire.

Hephaisto is a character in D2 near the end of the 4th Act where you must kill Hephaisto, grab the hammer and destroy Mephisto's Hellstone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion