Am I the only one that just doesn't the hype for Guild Wars 2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-06-12, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

Am I the only one that just doesn't the hype for Guild Wars 2?

I pre ordered it on the back of everyone saying it's amazing, it's innovative and totally different from any other MMO they've played. Yet once I got into the game the first thing I had to do was talk to an NPC, kill some mobs, talk to another NPC and kill some more mobs. It just played like every MMORPG I've played in the past and I just feel like the genre has to evolve past this.

The story wasn't interesting, they just use some cheap comic book like cutscenes to save money, I'd rather you just keep me in the game and give me quest text or something just as boring. The race choice sucks, they're all just so generic and everything in the game has this weird Asian look to it. Even the character movement just feels like it came out of an Asian MMO and as a result the whole thing just looks like another Asian MMO. I'm pretty sure it's made by a western developer but they must have out sourced all the art to Korea or something.

Everyones going on about how amazing the cities are but most of it is either in the skybox or you cannot interact with it, so really it's just another boring static backdrop. If the cities were fully 3D like what WoW's have to be like now with flying mounts then I'd be impressed. They're zoned which is another let down, you cannot just walk in them and there is loads of instancing in them.

The other two things people keep going on about are WvWvW and Dynamic events. Am I the only one that just gets reminded of WAR here? They're basically the same thing and I don't see why people are marketing them as anything new. Dynamic events are anything but dynamic, they're just the scripted Public Quests from WAR and when the population dies down they become totally useless. WvWvW is just Keep PVP from WAR (or DAOC) and it was a boring zergfest then and it's the same now. It works for Planetside because it's twitch based and is a fully 3D shooter, you're not stuck to the ground. However with the traditional MMORPG combat all that happens is you get two massive groups of ranged and melee becomes useless, if you try to run towards the group you get instant owned by all the ranged abilities.

I just found the game the most overrated, boring experience I've had in an MMORPG. At least SWTOR had the story which kept me busy until level 30 before I finally gave up and realised it wont become anything magical at higher levels lol. However that said GW2 has one major thing going for it which means it'll be the most stressful MMO since WoW and that it's F2P. So all the massive amounts of hype will draw people in and even if they aren't too fond on it, they'll still play every now and then because they wont have to sub. Games like SWTOR could have still been hugely popular but that subscription just puts you off playing.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Antivide
Corporal

Re: Am I the only one that just doesn't the hype for Guild Wars 2?

Each to their own I guess?

It's the first MMO I've played in about 8 years and it's got me hooked.

It's definitely an MMORPG. But it does the MMORPG thing better than any of it's competitors. It's really not supposed to be a hugely fresh MMO. I think the general idea is for a highly polished, extremely well made MMORPG.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I've been having a blast. I found the story engaging, the combat fun, the environments interesting to explore, the dynamic world events are way, way better than the standard exclamation-mark-over-the-head questing system.

Overall it's a superbly well-made MMO and I imagine it will do very well.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I played the beta for an hour. I just couldn't get into the game. I'm probably just going to wait for release at this rate instead of bothering with the beta weekends.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

i may pick that up and check it out. gameplay on vids looked pretty cool. i like a lot of the design i saw from how they arranged things but will have to see how the finished product plays. it looks very impressive though visually.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Daffan
Corporal

Misc Info

No hype here. Played way too many other MMO's to get caught up in hype pre-launch
Old 2012-06-12, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zulthus
Colonel

It's like RIFT was... you were expecting a Bugati, but you got an Oldsmobile.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

If it's free to play why does it cost $60 to preorder it?
Old 2012-06-12, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TheBladeRoden View Post
If it's free to play why does it cost $60 to preorder it?
It's got a box price but no sub fee just like the original so technically not F2P

I honestly have never gotten to level cap in an MMORPG. I just get tired of it after a while. Guild Wars 2 from what I have seen watching my buddy play the beta weekends isn't looking very compelling.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Yeah, you're one of the few.

I've been playing and it's so fun. Quite refreshing after playing WoW and getting bored, then trying out Rift and various other MMOs to see that they're just WoWclones.

Guild Wars 2 is so great. They made exploration fun, like few other games can. There are no more "Kill 10 rats" quests. You just go around, explore, have fun with other players, work together to achieve goals, et cetera.

I really like the WvWvW though. It's like Planetside or DAoK's RvR, just set in Tyria. So fun!
Old 2012-06-13, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
bullet
First Sergeant

I dont get hyped or excited about MMORPGs since I played WoW and found out its a bunch of shit. I've played MMOs before WoW and tried them after WoW, but after my friends started to qui the game just became a boring grindfest to nothing. They're all pretty much the same.

The only game I've been hyped for in a long time is PS2 and thats because its a competitive game, no key rotations or 1337er equips to win the game.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

GW2 is structured in a way to make it very, very different from WoW. Best not to make the comparison.
Old 2012-06-14, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Docs
Private

There is a bit too much hype around it, but no matter how good a game is, too much hype isn't always a good thing. It's possible might just just not be your thing though. It's certainly a very interesting game to me, and I'll likely be playing it along side Planetside 2.

PvE wise, the dynamic events make up the bulk of your 'questing' experience unlike Warhammer which didn't have as many public quests. The vast majority of them scale down to a single person, so only events marked as group events require more players. They also all scale up to a large number of players too. They're all over the world, and some can have an effect on the world itself (It seems to be more common that they have an effect the higher level you get).

The personal quests are just more of a guide through the world I suppose, they give you a purpose, but you likely wont be doing them 100% of the time. I don't know which Race you went, but you get very different stories based off your race, choices made in character creation and choices made throughout the story. I have heard some people do something like the Norn area and not really enjoy the it all that much, but then tried the human area and found it to be much more enjoyable.

Overall though, it's a very different experience and way of levelling in Guild Wars 2 for me. Instead of being shackled to certain 'quest hubs' I can just go and explore, jump in to dynamic events as I see them happening and find skill points between doing story quests. Although many of the objectives can be similar to your standard MMO, they're presented in a very different way which gives you the freedom to just explore. Also because of the fact that you automatically get a share of loot and XP for killing mobs or doing events with other players without grouping, it's the first MMORPG I've played where people have so often just naturally started playing together in groups.

In terms of WvWvW, it is based off DAoC RvR as they have developers who worked on that game on their team. I've never played it before, but apparently everyone loved it in DAoC, and so far WvWvW has been great fun for me and most others. But then it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Old 2012-06-15, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Interesting. That right there is my cup of tea.
It's actually the entire point of the game. In GW2, players don't compete for resources or mobs. If you tag it, even just once, you get full credit for the kill and you get loot that nobody else can steal. Resource nodes are client-specific, meaning if you see a node, you're the only one who can see and interact with it. Other people also see their own nodes, so if someone runs up to it and mines it, you can still mine it too.

Basically, the idea of camping a resource or a mob spawn has almost been completely done away with. I can't tell you how many times I've come across people in the open world and we've just gravitated towards each other to work together on fighting mobs and completing events simply because it's easier to work together, and has no ill effect on rewards.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion