Geforce FX's price and performance for ps? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Llama tested, hamma approved
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-15, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

yes, your experiences meaning you're wrong, and it shows with every benchmark test of any radeon 9700 pro and any nvidia geforce 4 ti 4600 despite the manufacturers of each.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mephistroth
Private

I actually meant to say on my last post that you order the card from ATI for the price, not the card is made by ATI. Anyway i read the thingy wrong and its actually from Ateck Computers INC.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

the benchmark tests the base numbers, not test of switching dynamically, the test for dynamic switchs from 1 set of requirements to another does show the gforce above the radon. The radons have gotten better numbers on the benchmark forever, it is the ability to change from 1 set of info to the other that the g-force is better at

The only way to see waht is better is to get 2 identical systems, huge monitors and set them side by side, and run the same game, and see what one looks/acts better, thats it. Everything else is bogus.

Besides, the best one ever made was one for a unix system about 10 years ago, that still is soo much better than any out today, it was in part devoloped by IBM, but they never sold it, jsut demoed it showing that it was possible
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."

Last edited by MrVulcan; 2003-04-15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Bluegold
Private

As far as best 3rd party 9700 Pro, the Hercules 3D Prophet is very cool - and a bit speedier. Ati still makes the most solid model, though.

On Radeon crashes - when? I've been running various ATI cards for 3 years and have NEVER experienced ONE bug. And on the last post - why would you ever even consider results of tests that were performed the DAY of release at which time no patches were available and now are all covered?

Also, since when can you pump more out of a Geforce 4? The 9700 Pro, benchmark-wise, puts the 4600 to shame and has better pixels/quality.

Finally - I just looked at more benchmarks besides the PC gamer ones - the 9800 annihilates the FX 5800 in almost everything, especially when image quality is turned up (often posting DOUBLE the score of the FX).
Old 2003-04-15, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Bluegold
As far as best 3rd party 9700 Pro, the Hercules 3D Prophet is very cool - and a bit speedier. Ati still makes the most solid model, though.

On Radeon crashes - when? I've been running various ATI cards for 3 years and have NEVER experienced ONE bug. And on the last post - why would you ever even consider results of tests that were performed the DAY of release at which time no patches were available and now are all covered?

Also, since when can you pump more out of a Geforce 4? The 9700 Pro, benchmark-wise, puts the 4600 to shame and has better pixels/quality.

Finally - I just looked at more benchmarks besides the PC gamer ones - the 9800 annihilates the FX 5800 in almost everything, especially when image quality is turned up (often posting DOUBLE the score of the FX).
1st off, we tested it cuz it was new, and we went ohhhh coooollll lets play with it! and I have not tested it since

And like I said, the benchmark tests do not give accurate results when dealing with how fast the card can switch from different parameters (shadow to no shadow, etc) the only test I use is the one stated above....

Yes, the 9800 does have more power on paper than the 5800, by far, of that it is clear, but I will not take a side with that one until I see my 2 systems side by side playing with them, 1 card in each, then I will decide what one I like, but yes, it does look like the 5800 is not anywhere the card that the 9800 is.
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-04-15, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Doesn't ATI make different versions of the 9700 pro? I keep seeing different memory, clockspeeds, and other speeds on ati 9700 pros.
Old 2003-04-16, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
SloPoke
Private

So which to choose?

Personally I think im going with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Though this may seem like a no brainer, I was perviously a Nvidia fan. But if im gonna shell out 399$:edit: put 4 instead of 3 no flame plzkthx =) :edit: USD, id rather have the card thats gonna put out more and stay with me longer.

Besides, from what ive read its abit tricky to overclock the Geforce FX 5800. Read about this here . Though like they've said here that might change. And i really dont like the idea that its going to use up a PCI slot for the fan...

Though when we look into ATI's Radeon 9800 we see that its basicly an overclocked 9700 with afew added bells and whistles. Read about this here . (if you havent noticed, im kinda throwing both sides in.)

Though, the 9800 pro is the card for me.

As for different 9700 pro clockspeeds, i think thats just depends on the people building it. ATI usually clocks the card to its fullest potential, but 3rd party vendors might not do the same.

Last edited by SloPoke; 2003-04-16 at 12:31 AM.
Old 2003-04-16, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

If you want to pay the $$$ I would prob go for the 9800 pro (actually, I would wait a bit to see if there are any major problems with them, but if I got 1 now, prob get the 9800pro)
Old 2003-04-16, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yup, I was an nvidia fan too (i was also a 3dfx fan )

but the 9500 PRO hath shown me the light, and although I won't be getting a new card for a LONG time, It will probally be an ATI (unless Nvidia hets thier shit together)

(I just love running AA on all my games without any performance hit... me hate jaggies...)
Old 2003-04-16, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

OMA has seen the light that is AA and FA! praise teh smooth clear images! hehe

I used to love 3dFX, but then i got a TnT2, then i loved nVidia, then i got a 9700 pro and now i love ATI. Can't play whitout AA and FA, everything looks fugly whitout it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion