IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 37 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Helping you procrastinate since 2002
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-14, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #541
TrenchcoatNinja
Private

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

I just registered to get another vote in the No-Go category

I suppose with some it's more of the principle of a killcam, especially when you look at the PC exclusivity of PS and the console dominance of the killcam in fast-paced environments that only adds to the dealbreaking effects of implementing it.

Also I don't want to look at some noob's hood ornament (customization idea that takes some credibility away from PS2 I believe, mentioned in a SOE webcast) on his Maggy for 3 seconds after dying to it
Old 2012-02-14, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #542
Arsenicfrog
Private

Killcams wouldn't be game breaking as long as the classes hurt most by it have ways to counter it via equipment/implants/certs. Snipers will have the ability to cloak so its not unreasonable to expect them to shoot and move. If you want to gather intel as a cloaker and your main fear is being found out then the solution would be not kill that one lone straggler. That being said I still vote no

Last edited by Arsenicfrog; 2012-02-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #543
Garem
Sergeant

KillCams are (arguably) good for games where unfindable snipers can dominate an entire team.

It has no place in Planetside.

Last edited by Garem; 2012-02-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #544
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Stick to the planetside 1 spinning death cam.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #545
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Garem View Post
KillCams are (arguably) good for games where unfindable snipers can dominate an entire team.

It has no place in Planetside.
This. With so many poeple on the battle field, SOMEONE is going to notice where your bullets are flying from. Kill cam just removes the need for people to pay attention.

Its a hand holding mechanic for new players, and experienced players are able to use it to their own advantage against new players (like a sniper killing someone, they see where he was, on the kill cam, and attempt to sneak up on him. Experienced player expects this and has repositioned to shoot at his old position). It changes the meta game all by it self.

Kill cam helps prevent campers. But PS doesn't have camper problems. The closest thing to camping would be killing people as they come out of tubes, and ACE'ing up AMS spawns/bombarding them.

In planetside, any situation where someone could potentially "camp" you, usually means the battle is lost already anyway. In the rare occasion that a battle line isn't moving, and neither side is losing, there is some guy who keeps killing you when you try to run to "that spot". Stop trying to run to "that spot" over and over. Doing the exact same thing over and over expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. And since Planetside isn't some 10 man instanced map thats 40x80 yards big with only 1 route to any given spot from your side of the map, this should not be an issue.

If someone is being sneaky, and everyone is just running past him in w/e nook or cranny he's hiding, good for him. If little johnny cant figure out why the tree is dropping grenades instead of apples, hes probably to young to be playing.

But I still say, adding a feature, such as combat parsing, so that you can watch what you did, later on, is a great idea, especially for fan movies or reviewing what you did or why something happened. You can still see who killed you, from where and how, but he won't be given away if hes hiding behind a rock deep in enemy lines, or is a stealth'er trying not to be found out (not that any form of fun hacking remains, or stealth objectives of any kind for that matter, as far as we know).

You could even have a master server that parses all combat, everywhere. Movie makers could have access to it for a small fee. This would also act as a great tool for GM's to check up on "hacker" reports by replaying what happened in real time to see what actually happened. Game clients would have this, but only for what they actually saw, and is stored locally. Parsing uses much less system resources as well, since its basically translated network traffic being flushed to a .txt file. So performance hits are on orders of magnitude smaller than an actual recording. So anyone can do it.

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-02-15 at 06:54 AM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #546
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
This. Kill cam helps prevent campers. But PS doesn't have camper problems. The worst camping problems would be killing people as they come out of tubes, and ACE'ing up AMS spawns/bombarding them.

In planetside, any situation where someone could potentially "camp" you, usually means the battle is lost already anyway.

If someone is being sneaky, and everyone is just running past him in w/e nook or cranny he's hiding, good for him. If little johnny cant figure out why the tree is dropping grenades instead of apples, hes probably to young to be playing.
Correction: PS1 doesn't have a camping problem. We have no clue how this will pan out in PS2...
Old 2012-02-15, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #547
Wakken
Sergeant

I dont want it

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2012-02-21, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #548
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorgUK View Post
Kill cam will reduce support for team play by attracting the kill whores, this will of course mean the hacking will start as they go for there 99 to 1 kill ratios.

Like 3rd person inside buildings, its got to be a no.
+1 Like 3rd person inside buildings, its got to go
Old 2012-03-11, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #549
spaminator
Private

I registered just to vote no for killcam.

Full disclosure: I never played PS1. So if you're worried about making life easier for PS newbs by including a killcam system, I've got news for you. It's a PC only game! PC gamers generally don't QQ like console noobs, and therefore, don't need killcam to keep them from rage quitting.

I may ruffle some feathers here by saying this, but here goes: If you need killcam, you suck at whatever game you're playing. Period.
Old 2012-03-11, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #550
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by spaminator View Post
I may ruffle some feathers here by saying this, but here goes: If you need killcam, you suck at whatever game you're playing. Period.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #551
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by spaminator View Post
I registered just to vote no for killcam.

Full disclosure: I never played PS1. So if you're worried about making life easier for PS newbs by including a killcam system, I've got news for you. It's a PC only game! PC gamers generally don't QQ like console noobs, and therefore, don't need killcam to keep them from rage quitting.

I look at the kill-cam as being more of a fun aspect over it being used as a tool... But, I don't see a problem with it being used as a tool to learn who killed you and how. Everyone sucks at first until they've played the game for a while.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #552
Vancha
Colonel

Can we please stop bumping this until Kill cam is on the table again?
Old 2012-03-11, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #553
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Can we please stop bumping this until Kill cam is on the table again?

I didn't read through all the pages but does this mean killcam isn't currently planned to be in the game?

Someone told me in another thread that the Planetside devs might be looking at killcam and other casualization Robin Hood features because they are in Battlefield and CoD. I cannot speak for CoD players but there is a LOT of internal strife in the BF community about this and most assuredly not everyone wants these things.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #554
Hamma
PSU Admin

Higby said via Twitter the implementation will likely be different.

The killcam in the game right now is not the intended final implementation. We ALMOST removed them for the demo, actually.
re: killcam I'd like to build it to be a UI w/ 3d view of your killer (not in world) and shows stats like the LoL "death recap".
https://twitter.com/#!/mhigby/status/177827451127341057

https://twitter.com/#!/mhigby/status/177828533345861632

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion