"But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..." - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One day you will figure out that you have no life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-12, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."

I'm trying not to think of it as "Planetside 2" but as "The Planetside we all wanted." Of course some people will find some things they don't like, but I think generally speaking this is going to be the game we all hoped the first one was going to be.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think when people say "that wouldn't be Planetside" it could also mean that something doesn't feel right and they are having trouble articulating exactly what that is. It doens't necessarily mean the person is incapable of thinking about PS in a new light.

There are certain things that make "planetside" feel the way it does. Lots of things can change, but if certain things change then...well, it doesn't feel like Planetside anymore. That could be good or bad, but we should explore what exactly isn't wrong and understand the difference and the tradeoff.

To give an example, if they changed it such that I couldn't squad with my BR1 buddy, then...that wouldn't be Planetside

The underlying concept I'm trying to convey is that one of the great things about PS is that my newbie buddy could just jump right in the game and join in with a longtime vet on whatever they were doing without a hitch. But poor articulation of that might just end up coming out as "it wouldn't be planetside". Its not something I would want to see changed.

That said I would prefer people articulate what exactly is wrong with something rather than being vague and saying it isn't planetside. I'm sure they have a point to make and a reason but the community will have a hard time understanding that without explaining why.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Redshift
Major

I'm willing to give it a chance, there are some design aspects i'm really not convinced on (and i will keep arguing them to make sure the devs see all the angles :P) but i'll wait until we get to play it before making my mind up.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
artifice
Staff Sergeant

As people above said, first person shooters have made major advances over the years. I don't want to play a reskinned eight year old game.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

"Advances"?

lol
Old 2011-07-12, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
As people above said, first person shooters have made major advances over the years. I don't want to play a reskinned eight year old game.
I think this is exactly where the "It's not Planetsde" argument comes from.

Planetside is undoubtedly a pioneer in it's genre. As a community I think we can agree that we want the game to have the same feel, because the core of the game is an incredible idea, and even with all of the problems the first game had we still loved the hell out of it.

If you continue to change things that made the original so much fun, people aren't going to have that "Planetside" feel anymore, which is going to be no bueno.

You can advance Planetside without changing the aspects that made the game what it was.
Old 2011-07-12, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ant001
Corporal

OK headshots are bad because its a one hit kill.
TTK in ps gave us time to attack a stairwell and push that corridor. Imagine 10 guys all camped in a corridor and trying to push through with zero TTK.

Now for me I "personally" LIKED the TTK in ps.It was kinda unique to fps's and it's what encouraged a lot of guys to play. With head shots and iron sight aiming all that will change.

What I have read and seen so far the game that used to be planetside will now be BF3 in space suits with larger battles and more people instagibing you with headshots and knives. For me that wasn't how the game felt and how it played.
But I drive a fork lift for a living ..what do I know?
Old 2011-07-12, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't see how iron sights are bad really. I don't like 'em but I don't hate 'em either.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
I will agree that there are a few decisions the Devs had made that I dont agree with, but I think my biggest concern on all this is that people are jumping the gun just a bit to sing songs of doom.
I don't like colossal negativity but I love criticism and actually having discussion over the new features and the game. We don't want a forum of yes-folk just constantly nodding to every idea we see.

Inevitably there will be great ideas and bad ideas, but I want an original game that captures the best parts of Planetside and removes many of its weaknesses. However I still want the essence and core of Planetside, just refined and improved - this is what sequels are for, developing and improving the original, creating a refined product. The best we can do is be a devils advocate for the devs and if we are really lucky we might make them think about something they wouldn't have and we will have had a positive effect.

But still, I think it's important that we pressure the game to be a balanced, large-scale teamwork based FPS, it's good to see squads and Outfits getting fleshed out because this is a good move towards teamwork.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

To say that wouldn't be a legit argument is both foolish and something only a Monkey would think.

an example would be having 2 games. Say S.W.A.T. 4 and Quake 4. Both have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYSTYLES even through they are both FPS games.

What the Monkeys are trying to do with Planetside 2 is instead of making Planetside 2 they are making battlefield 5 with expanded tech to have more players. (you think battlefield is really mindset on 64? they try to get the most they can get without massive lagfests, battlefield would happily have it 1,000 vs players if it had the tech.)

in a sense they are trying to make S.W.A.T. 5 play like Quake or Quake 5 play like S.W.A.T.

If the monkeys get their way it won't have the planetside "playstyle" anymore. some of the monkeys think "Oh well, it will still have massive battles even if we all fly around like Tribes or bounce around like bunny's in Quake." No... it won't In fact I remember a Tribes server or 2 having at least's 100 player slots.

Planetside is about being lost in the army. feeling like you are part of something bigger. Feeling like you are all one big machine no matter who is next to you.

The Monkeys are adding stuff for "self" which will end up with "inflated ego" and "competitive retardedness" you may have a lot of players shooting guns but you will no longer have the sense of "you are just as important as the next guy and he as you" that Planetside gives.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bags
Lieutenant General

Gosh darn monkies takin' mah jerbs.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

Forsaken One, please be a bit more constructive in your posting. People are starting to tire of your monkey business.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-12, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I agree this excuse is perhaps being overused as people struggle to come to terms with how different PS2 will be, but at the same time I think it's meaning is quite obvious.

Planetside 2 was not a realistic shooter. It was too far in the UT/Quake/Tribes direction to be in BF or CoD territory. At the same time, it was too slow and too tactical to be in UT and Quake territory either. In occupied a middle ground that was largely unique to FPS games (and still is).

I wholeheartedly accept that Planetside 2 will be very different to it's predecessor, but at the same time I can understand that when people say "But that wouldn't be Planetside", it's probably to do with PS2 becoming a "type" of shooter instead of holding that unique hybridization that Planetside had.
yea planetside i think today the closet types of games are TF2 and halo.

they both sort unrealistic damage to kill somebody.
they both use COF
pace of combat and TTK is about the same.

but who would want to make a game thats similar to TF2? COD and BFBC2 are way more popular.
Current Players Peak Today
52,242 65,398 Team Fortress 2
13,352 29,452 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
11,698 22,454 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
9,441 12,057 Battlefield: Bad Company 2

even combined they're not as popular on PC LOL.
Old 2011-07-12, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rarntogo
Corporal

It looks like this topic, and for that matter, this forum as a whole is taking on the right approach to a new game that is a sequel as well. The veterans (myself included) it seems, would like much of the old game to stay intact. All the things we love, the Bridge battles, Gal drops, MAX rushes etc... and even tho' in reality we know very little about the game play of PS2 many of us are making judgements about about the changes that are promised without really knowing how they fit in the new game. I know I am guilty of this. Things are changing and people are becoming more open to the new things. There are certain things I dont want. I have voiced my opinions sternly and with conviction. I also know that in reality (with hindsight) I'm talking out my arse because I have no idea how anything the Devs have planned is going to work. It's difficult to pick apart the tidbits the Devs have given us because we only have PS1 to base it on and we wont be playing PS1. I know that I loved the original and I put my trust in the new Dev crew that I will love the sequel as well. As long as it isnt a 1000 player death match with everyone killwhoring and not working towards the objectives I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. There will be things I don't like but I'm sure there will be much more that I do like. I'll hate getting sniped as I run out the door trying to defend my base and you'll hate when I sneak up behind you in my Infi suit and knife you. You'll say cloakers are over powered and I'll say sniper rifles need to be nerfed. As long as we both love the game and servers stay full... thats all that matters and it's what I'm looking forward to.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
morf
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
As long as we both love the game and servers stay full...
But then it wouldn't be Planetside anymore.

oh look i made a great argument.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion