Devs - Past mistakes and Teamwork (History is important!) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Imagine if we got nickles for every rejected quote....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-13, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Devs - Past mistakes and Teamwork (History is important!)

Yeah you can form up on a continent; in a warp gate or the uncapturable base.

Or hell, out in the world unprotected... you have to admit having enemies unable to strike you while you get your act together is a little lame, it would be incredibly cool to go and pre emptively strike a raid. Not to mention the excitement of scrambling into vehicles to deal with the attack.

BFRs could have been awesome if....

BFRs get extra crewmen for control of each weapon arm. This turns them into heavy tanks, slotting them into the game in a balanced way.
They should also choose one of the following:
extra turret
  • cloaking field (requires infiltrator pilot)
  • regenerating shield
  • flight pack (VS only?)
  • weapon feeds (increase fire rate, TR only)
  • extra armour (NC only)
This extra crew requirement and removal of the shield by default would warrant a slight armour increase and size increase. The different names would also become redundant and the game would finally have the heavy tanks it deserves.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Doesn't it just overcomplicate the game though? Why add heavy tanks into the game when Main Battle tanks fit the role perfectly and can already have developed counters etc.. Why not just spend the time it would take to balance, model, texture and script a BFR adding a new skill tree to the Main Battle tank or creating a common-pool tank.

I'll happily admit my biases, I am biased against mechs due to BFR's and the fact that I simply do not like their design. But still, why not apply Occams razor and not over complicate and already complicated combat chain.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
In what way is organising on an empty continent different to organizing in the sanctuary?
Its not. Whats different is you don't have to go through sanc to get to the fight every time you log in. I would have no issues with a sanc if it was only a place to form up, and upon logging in I was able to go straight to the map view to select a base to spawn in or a position to HART too.

As for footholds I don't see how we will get the great feeling of locking a cont if we can never make it fully secure, although I don't know all the details of the foothold system so I can't really comment on it.
I don't think they want continents locked. Theres no lattice that dictates what you can attack, and no continent benefits. Only the system where you can more easily control land if you control more land surrounding it.

As for BFR's there was no reason for them to come in, what roles are left for a big robot?
Their role was a tank destroyer that was vulnerable to infantry to end the battlefield dominance of the tank, which was the most effective AV and AI platform. They just didn't make it vulnerable enough to infantry. Infinite regenerating shields likely didn't help.

For the FVs.. I got nothing. Solo vehicle that can kill most every other vehicle in the game? And can move around quick? Yeah, that was crazy. But the GVs weren't bad once all the balance got done with, aside from lingering issues with the animations. :P
Old 2011-07-13, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

The role of tank destroyer is taken by the Reaver and aircraft. The tank is extremely vulnerable to even a skillful mosquito pilot if the pilot knows what he/she is doing and the tank driver/gunner panics or is outskilled. Adding BFR's to the mix just gives unnecessary over complication, anyway now that we have skill trees and vehicle modification why not simply create a Tank Destroyer variant of the Main Battle Tank - this vehicle would suck against infantry but easily destroy tanks, this would fill the role better and would save development time.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Yes Matt is doing great marketing, particularly the viral kind with the different social media. Facebook page,etc, even Smeds tweets is a sign that they're trying something new and at least interested in marketing the game. I just hope they keep it up. Its fairly low-cost, but I'm sure they don't have a whol elot of time in the day to do that sort of thing. They do have a product to make, conferences to attend, interviews to do, and occasionally see family and sleep.
The power of Facebook/Twitter is much greater these days than when PS1 was released. So even these 2 forms of social media alone are incredible for getting the word out.

It would be nice to see a commercial on TV tho!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion