The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If your parents get divorced, who gets the fish?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

I never played Planetside 1, but I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion on this matter. This is not a post to invoke rage in those loyal to VS, nor is it a post critizising the alternative game mechanics that the VS has.

To me, the Vanu just does not seem like a logical faction. Just based on lore, it does not make sense why the people who formed the VS did not join the NC, since they are clearly not interested in fighting in the first place. Why force yourselves to get an army, when you could safely continue your research behind NC frontlines? Seeing as that's all you really care about. (The lore is really vague on why the NC declared war on the Vanu)

It really doesn't make sense. You could also look at it from the perspective of technology. The Vanu is clearly way ahead of the other factions, but still finds itself evenly matched. This is hardly realistic, unless you assume that the Vanu does not really care about the war. To me they seem like a faction who does not have the same drive based on their fiery moral-standpoint like the other two factions. Instead they seem like a faction who would rather just be left alone, but needs to fight simply because they need to clear the land, so that they can excavate and do their research. A faction needs to have it drive for battle rooted in its belief system, but to the Vanu, the war just seems like an inconvenience.

I know this won't ever get changed, I just felt like saying it. That said, if I was to go back in time and change the Vanu's lore, I would make them religious fanatics instead. When the wormhole closed and people panicked, a part of the TR population began worshipping strange alien artifacts. This would explain why that inspite of having access to this technology, that they are clearly not using it as well as they could, and it would also give them a more convincing reason to fight. Why? They're religious fanatics who want to convert everyone.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

They're purple. That's enough for me.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Toppopia
Major

The Vanu declared war on the TR and NC at the same time because they can only see one way to end the war, if the VS wipe them both out themselves.

And also some lore says that scientists began 'listening' to artefacts and such, so they are being indoctrinated/mind controlled by aliens.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Once the scientists, the so called Vanu turned away from humanity and delved into ancient alien technology they became depraved with blood lust. This urge to become a new dominant species has driven them to make war with the authoritative terran regime and the freedom loving new conglomerate. Since this is the truth then they need to be purged with fire and steel.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Serotriptomine
Sergeant

"We want to research alien tech"
"We do not believe in it, it's illegal to do that"

"Alright, we'll amass our army and fight for that right"

blah blah blah, you just have to word it correctly.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

oops wrong topic :P

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-06-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xaine
Major

As a PS1 Vanu player, i somewhat agree actually.

I feel the NC and TR were done pretty well in the lore, and captured the PS1 spirit well but the VS do seem a little out of place.

I always saw them as having an 'air of superiority', looking down on the other two as opposed to hating them. Like the NC and TR hate each other.

In the lore we have at the moment, it seems a little unlikely that they would start their own splinter group.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
cryosin
Master Sergeant

The VS where originally TR, so they are hated by the NC already.

Then they broke away from the TR, making the TR hate them.

They also feel superior to the other two factions, so they think they can beat them.

The weapons are more advanced, but since its newer tech it has its trade offs.

Ie: The lasers don't have drop off but do less damage over distances.

This is actually very common in our real world. When new technology comes out, it provides benefits and drawbacks.

ie: Electric cars don't use gas but their batteries need charging and lose their charge after much use.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Why we didnt team up with the NC to fight the TR? Itsnt it obvious? The NC are a even bigger thread to mankind than those who call themself TR.

THe TR goverment back on earth, under the rule of Connery and other great presidents, allowed Mankind to witness a era of peace. We explored our solar system and build colonys on Mars, the Jupiter Moons and other stellar bodys within our solar system, something that could not have been done without the TR. But since we went through the wormhole, thigns changed. Connery tried to keep freedom over everything, but it was the NC who destroyed this freedom. They came and blew connery himself up, the man who showed us the first step into a new era! They are mad! All of them! Stupid lunatics who dont believe in freedom, peace or their own race! All they care of is money, nothing else. They want to rule, they want to be the mighty ones.

It saddens me that those corporations who rule the NC fill their own people with lies about freedom. Those poor NC soilders doom themself.

Thats why we, the VS, did engage combat against the TR and the NC. Its the only way to free auraxis from war is by destroying those who want the war. We want peace, but the time for words is over.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

My old PS manual was long ago consigned to the trash, but I believe the VS backstabbed the NC because they felt that their revolution (hint: old school NC were Bolsheviks) would misuse the alien technology. The end result is that the science hippies decided to make war on the other two factions to keep the alien tech out of unenlightened hands (as of Core Combat they failed).
Old 2012-06-04, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ringring
Contributor
General

Personally lore wasn't my thing and I'd advise that if you like the look of an empire then join. OR, if you already have friends playing join that one.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Why we didnt team up with the NC to fight the TR? Itsnt it obvious? The NC are a even bigger thread to mankind than those who call themself TR.
I'm sorry, but the VS clearly are clearly a bigger threat to mankind's sense of fashion than either NC and TR.

The purple must be stopped before it spreads.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thats why we, the VS, did engage combat against the TR and the NC. Its the only way to free auraxis from war is by destroying those who want the war. We want peace, but the time for words is over.
And we tone down the damage on our weapons because we are too pro to stoop to using overpowered guns.

With the Lasher 2.0 we forgot tone it back all the way. Our bad.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Envenom
Sergeant Major

I agree with OP. They should be assimilated into the TR.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

The only thing that is going to seem out of place is my Lasher shoved up your....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion